PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has PATs defense been dismantled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of questions about our defense coming out nationally prior to the start of the season. I sincerely hope they go into every game with a huge chip on their shoulders. Monday night is going to be a good barometer in how this defense will adapt to losing those guys.

You don't think they'll be successful as a team. Or would you prefer to wait until the season is over before you have an opinion. Are you Glenn Ordway???

It's a team game. Composed of 22 Players on offense and defense. You don't have to be perfect, just better than your opponent on that day.

I say they will be "good enough" to get to the AFC Championship game - then it depends on the mantling of the newer players as to what happens after that.

And with Deus BB I like the mantling and maturing process of 2009.

The question is about the defense, not the team as a whole.

The question is about the defense, not the team as a whole.

I get that - my point is it doesn't matter what the defense is like now. The offense will carry the team to a good enough record to make the playoffs. Then it only matters what the defense is like 18 weeks from now. (16 games/1 bye/first playoff game)

The defense is not as good today as it was a week ago, or at the end of last year, the year before etc.

But in January I'll say they'll be good enough to put on a good show. The don't have to be as good as Tennessee or Pittsburgh or NYG or Baltimore or San Diego. (And they won't be that is obvious)

But with all the new rules does it necessarily mean DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS?

Hope not.

I get that - my point is it doesn't matter what the defense is like now. The offense will carry the team to a good enough record to make the playoffs. Then it only matters what the defense is like 18 weeks from now. (16 games/1 bye/first playoff game)

I agree, the Defense needs time to improve and I believe it will. I recall the year the colts won the superbowl. Their D sucked during the regular season but played well (expect against the pats) during the playoffs, well enough to win the big game.

That's what the Pats need, the D to step up in the playoffs and do enough to help the team win.

Last edited:
I also don't expect to know whether this young defense will be to the task until at least the second half of the season.

Clearly, the defense will look good when we score 35 or more points and the defense is playing with the team ahead.

Just as clearly, there will be games when the offense is held to 20 points or less. Those games will be the test. In the end, the scenario we fear is one where the offense is held and the defense allows its usual number of points. If this happens once in the playoffs or Super Bowl, we are in danger of losing. And we will blame the offense for not scoring enought points, because as in 2007 the offense has no leeway.

What WILL happen when the offense doesn't win the game on its own?

What will happen to teams when the defense doesn't win the game on its own?

The New England Patriots - THE GREATEST TEAM ON DIRT

Oh that's right - I almost forgot - we now have turf.

As another poster indicated, the defense will have the time. The question is whether they can do well enough to win the one game in the playoffs or Super Bowl when they will need to step up.

I agree, the Defense needs time to improve and I believe it will. I recall the year the colts won the superbowl. Their D sucked during the regular season but played well (expect against the pats) during the playoffs, well enough to win the big game.

That's what the Pats need, the D to step up in the playoffs and do enough to help the team win.

Green replaces Seymour -- downgrade
Woods replaces Vrabel -- dowgrade
Guyton replaces Bruschi -- downgrade
Meriweather replaces Harrison -- downgrade
xxxxx replaces Samuel -- downgrade

-Is it really going to come down to whether Seymour makes a play for this team? Like the last three years, it's come down to the LB's and secondary making a play, not the D-line. I won't miss him.

- As much as I bash Woods, I'd take him or anybody over Vrabel any day of the week. In fact, If I had to use one word to summarize Vrabel's performance last season, it would be "garbage". Burgess and Woods will be able to at least match Vrabel's '08 production in their sleep.

- Guyton replacing Bruschi is a downgrade, huh? Did you happen to watch Bruschi last season? If the Pats are running a 4-3, Mayo is replacing Bruschi. Besides, even when their in a 3-4, I'd take Guyton over Bruschi because Guyton is better in coverage. I was hoping Bruschi would call it quits.

- Merriweather is a downgrade to Harrison? Harrison hasn't been able to cover anybody for the last few years and it was time for him to go as well. Although he's a better hitter than Merriweather, he's not as good in coverage than Merriweather. In time, Chung is going to take on the Harrison role.

- Samuel never being replaced is the only one I semi-agree with. Although Samuel made big plays, he also allowed big plays and let average receivers look like pro bowlers. Because of the money he commanded, I felt he didn't do enough physically to warrant that type of money.

Last edited:
As another poster indicated, the defense will have the time. The question is whether they can do well enough to win the one game in the playoffs or Super Bowl when they will need to step up.

All you fence sitters

Say what you believe

Which one - one playoff win or Super Bowl bound.

Telling me in February what you thought is meaningless.

Of course, I expect us to win the Super Bowl.
===================================
Anyone who thinks they KNOW whether the defense will take us to a Super Bowl win is an idiot.

Anyone who doesn't root and expect them to do until proven otherwise is not a fan.

just my 2 cents.

All you fence sitters

Say what you believe

Which one - one playoff win or Super Bowl bound.

Telling me in February what you thought is meaningless.

Thank you

At least you are not amongst those who feel BB has "Ruined their Winter"

But you still sat a little on the fence cuz you hid a little behind fanhood.

This is the beginning of the season its time for rooting but it is also time for predicting.

The ledge is fine - the view is great.

Guyton replaces Bruschi, 2008 = upgrade
Burgress/Green replaces Vrabel = upgrade
Green/Brace replaces Seymour = downgrade
Meriweather replaces Harrison, 2008 = upgrade

I agree with this.

My stance

2009 will be about the "mantling" of the Defense. (18 weeks from now)
As opposed to the title of the thread - the "dismantling" of the defense.

Ciao

Let's see how these guys play. It will be interesting to see if BB mixes in more 4-3 or nonstandard formations. This defense is certainly more athletic than 2008. The question is how will the pieces fit together and how much of a loss Seymour will be (teams always had to double team him).

Dismantled? How can you dismantle a defense that needed some major enmantling in the first place?

Regards,
Chris

Not to mention:

Bodden/Springs/Chung replaces Hobbs/O'Neal/L. Sanders = upgrade

Looking forward to see what Butler has as well.

Reiss picked him as the most impressive rookie at camp.

The phrase you used is usually code for young and inexperienced.

The defense wasn't that great to begin with. At least now they've got younger guys instead of several on the decline. If the offense is clicking, they don't have to be spectacular anyways.

The defense is not as good today as it was a week ago, or at the end of last year, the year before etc.

But in January I'll say they'll be good enough to put on a good show. The don't have to be as good as Tennessee or Pittsburgh or NYG or Baltimore or San Diego. (And they won't be that is obvious)

But with all the new rules does it necessarily mean DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS?

Hope not.

It's the difference between limping into the playoffs and getting there w/ home field and a bye, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes