PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has our obvious 'soft in the middle' defense starting to show now in close games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Alright ,everything seemed to be hoky dory when we were winning by 30 or 40 points and the opposing teams were so far behind that thier running game was not to be a factor because they had to pass continuously to catch up so the apparent soft middle of the Patriots D did not matter much and Bruschi and Seau did not make news either positively or negatively.

Now that the last 2 teams we played and earlier in Indy showed that they can slow down the Patriots offensive attack to at least be able to stay close in the game and run the ball consistently, when those teams either ran or threw short outs down the middle for 5 or 8 yards or so,it was usually successful and led to scores to keep them in the game.

It is now a concern of mine that the ages and slowness of Seau and Bruschi are starting to show more in these close games its obvious these guys are running out of energy as this long season progresses and I worry what is going to happen when its one and done in the playoffs and we have to face the likes of a Fred Taylor,Jones Drew,Addai,or any quick slot receiver ect:.

Its obvious to me that the only way we can avoid what appears to be a glowing weakeness in the middle of the field in which in particular is the job of the inside LBS to hold down, we need to simply go back to blowing opposing teams away and keep thier running game not in the plans after halftime.

Once we get into the playoffs and if its a close game there is going to be serious help needed from the secondary down the second layer of the D to stop opposing teams from killing us with the run and the short up the middle passes.

I love Bruschi and Seau but it seems they are getting run over by decent backs and the only way they can avoid from becoming exposed as a weakness is by the offense blowing teams away early.

This team is 12-0 and thats great but after these last 2 games you have to be worried once the intensity of the playoffs come upon NE whether we can play these types of close games and pull them out in the final minutes,It can't last forever.

What I can say is I hope we not only go after a first round ILB in the draft but we need to sign a highly regarding FA ILB as well - Its definately the major weakness of a team with few weaknesses at all right now.

(BTW: Colvins absence was VERY noticable tonight)

This is obviously what commentary should be about this week--it's awesome the Pats won, but the concern is up the middle.

Is it only Seau/Bruschi? What about the front 3. I wish I could see game film, it's so hard to analyze on tv, and the announcers are no help.

This team is 12-0 and thats great but after these last 2 games you have to be worried once the intensity of the playoffs come upon NE whether we can play these types of close games and pull them out in the final minutes,It can't last forever.

what better preparation can you ask for in the regu;ar season than every team you face playing their Super Bowl? You saw Feeley this week...right back down to earth. I'll bet Boller lays a huge egg next game and the Ravens get clubbed. Tonight was THEIR Super Bowl...we're getting ready for the real thing

This is obviously what commentary should be about this week--it's awesome the Pats won, but the concern is up the middle.

Is it only Seau/Bruschi? What about the front 3. I wish I could see game film, it's so hard to analyze on tv, and the announcers are no help.

Seymour seemed to have a decent game,Wilfork was in on a few good plays too but Warren was MANHANDLED tonight.

BTW: That Ogden guy is a complete amazon monster,I don;t think there is a bigger lineman in ther league at his position,Hes HUGE!

... Tonight was THEIR Super Bowl...we're getting ready for the real thing

I agree with the second phrase that this is amazing preparation for us for the playoffs and no need for BB to serve any humble pie.

But, if the rest of the teams, Fins included, treat their game with us as the SB and come fighting with so much intensity and fire, I worry that we might suffer some unnecessary injuries.

I don't know if it's us being soft or just mcgahee for some reason he tear the pats up i am guess a combo of the 2 and will be fixed next week

what better preparation can you ask for in the regu;ar season than every team you face playing their Super Bowl? You saw Feeley this week...right back down to earth. I'll bet Boller lays a huge egg next game and the Ravens get clubbed. Tonight was THEIR Super Bowl...we're getting ready for the real thing

What I am getting at is if we play Indy or Pittsburgh again in the playoffs (a near certainty) we simply can't keep them in the game longer than halftime or the game becomes a crap shoot of who's gonna win,We need to blow them out early or be forced to biting our nails down to the skin and hope miraculous late 4th quarter heroics continue,With Bruschi and Seau getting more run down every game that they play, I have worry.

we need to play 60 minutes and lead at the end...as evidence I present the THREE Patriot Super Bowl titles, each won by three points

Y'all have forgotten Bill Belichick's fundamental objective on Defense. "Bend but don't break". Make them march a long way and take many plays to score. Chances are they will mess up before they do.

The Ravens scored 24 on a fluke completion and run all the way to near the goal line and a good return providing excellent field position. There were only two long methodical Ravens drive. One they messed up as Belichick predicts, and one they scored on. That was their their only real drive of the game that ended up with a TD.

That's the way the Pats Defense played in the SB years and letting them get some running yards up the middle was part of it. Just not too much. Today McGahee got too much until they got serious and shut the Ravens down in the fourth Q. It took some adjustments. Then it was 3 and out; 3 and out; 3 and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down