PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Mayo improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Has Mayo improved ?

If anything, he projected as a more Al Wilson type than anything else.

Because they both went to Tennessee?

This is not a shot at you, just I heard those same comparisons when he was drafted and the first thing that came to my mind was they went to the same school. It's like any LB'er from Penn State gets compared to a previous LB'er from Penn State.

It's just the lazy comparison, like every announcer compares a white wr to Wes Welker

Yes, Mayo has improved. He's much stronger in coverage over his struggles last season and as a rookie. He's better as a blitzer from his two previous seasons. He looks good as a pass rusher on the edge. He also looks a little stronger when disengaging from blockers, but I'd like more data samples on that. He's starting to understand the game to where I think his next big progression is going to be as a Field General where he'll be making on-field adjustments more instinctively.

It's absolutely clear that Mayo improved in every facet of his game, some jumps are larger than others, but there's little doubt he's playing at a higher level from his previous two campaigns.

I agree with this assessment 100%. Going to the games as we do - we tend to focus on certain players and Mayo is one I have been watching since his rookie year. try to watch his reactions and figure out his reads as best I can. It really seems to me he is much faster as the game certainly has slowed down for him. I think he will soon begin to make impact plays.....

People tend to forget how long it took Bruschi to excel in this defense......

Now, obviously,the same goes for Spikes, Cunningham and the rest of the young guns.....rookies no less.

This "D" will take time to gel....but I really think they will be quite impressive come December.

Simply having 12 tackles does not mean he's playing well. He needs to start making more impactful plays. Stop a player at the line of scrimmage rather than 8 yards downfield. Maybe even throw in a interception or a forced fumble once in a while.

1.) Do you have any support for your claim that his tackles are not at the line of scrimmage and are, rather, "8 yards downfield"?

2.) I wasn't citing his tackles to claim he played well, though he did. A poster said he didn't notice him in that game, and I merely pointed out that usually you notice a guy who has tackles in the double digits.

Because they both went to Tennessee?

This is not a shot at you, just I heard those same comparisons when he was drafted and the first thing that came to my mind was they went to the same school. It's like any LB'er from Penn State gets compared to a previous LB'er from Penn State.

It's just the lazy comparison, like every announcer compares a white wr to Wes Welker

No. Honestly I had no idea he went to UT. I merely cited him because Mayo's ceiling is more like Al Wilson's than Ray Lewis's. Which is fine; Ray is one of the best LBs to ever play the game. Big shoes to fill.

Last edited:

It's only been 2 games so it's tough to say if he's improved. I could start a thread about Spikes discussing how he has not been the player we expected because he is invisible in games. Would you also agree with that?

As long as Mayo is making his tackles now he's doing a good job. Throw in a sack or int and he'll start becoming a pro-bowler. Let's wait till the end of the season to assess.

No. Honestly I had no idea he went to UT. I merely cited him because Mayo's ceiling is more like Al Wilson's than Ray Lewis's. Which is fine; Ray is one of the best LBs to ever play the game. Big shoes to fill.

Before injuries set in, Al Wilson was one of the better linebackers in the game around 2004-2005. That considered, the comparison is still a pretty big compliment.

This was agreed upon during the Sportstonight round table. What their concern was, he doesn't seem to have any pass rush skills ( Guyton and Spikes appear superior in the pass rush ), in fact it was "Big Plays" in general that seem to be missing.

Facts: He has never had an interception in his career, he averages less than 1 sack per year, he averages less than 1 forced fumble per year, and he makes very few tackles for losses.

He does make a lot of total tackles though. Thus, is he solid, but not great ?

You need to learn what his job is befoeyou try to evaluate him.

I agree with the panel thus far. I've seen nothing from him that would make me think he's a game-changer. In fact, I haven't seen anything that really makes me believe he will ever become that.

Thought Mayo was outstanding against the Bengals.

Puttem in Canton
Right between TBC and Crable :singing:

I agree with the panel thus far. I've seen nothing from him that would make me think he's a game-changer. In fact, I haven't seen anything that really makes me believe he will ever become that.

Have you seen teams consistently run effectively to the part of the field he is responsible for? I haven't.
Have you seen teams consistently throw effectively into the zone he is covering? I havent
People need to know what the job is to judge it.
An ILB in our system is never going to be defined as a 'game breaker'.

Mayo is asked to control the area between the C and T on his side of the field playing 2 gap defense, and rarely blitizing, and to cover his zone.
To make the kind of plays that people seem to expect from him, he would need to be making up his own assignments.
34 ILBs in a 2 gap system are not making tackles for loss, and cannot get sacks when they do not biltz.

I agree with this assessment 100%. Going to the games as we do - we tend to focus on certain players and Mayo is one I have been watching since his rookie year. try to watch his reactions and figure out his reads as best I can. It really seems to me he is much faster as the game certainly has slowed down for him. I think he will soon begin to make impact plays.....

People tend to forget how long it took Bruschi to excel in this defense......

Now, obviously,the same goes for Spikes, Cunningham and the rest of the young guns.....rookies no less.

This "D" will take time to gel....but I really think they will be quite impressive come December.

Bruschi was making the transition from defensive tackle in college to outside linebacker his first year or two in the pros before being tried at middle/inside LB. Mayo played mostly MLB at Tenn, didn't he?

ILB blitzes are not a significant part of this defense, are they?

Generally, the 0-tech nose and the 2 ILBs are responsible for shutting down runs through the A-gaps, and B-gaps depending on the call. It's not a glamorous role.

Maybe the Pats should play a 43 with Mayo as the Mike so he can get on Sportscenter more often?

ETA: And after the Jets game, every team with a decent tight end is going to look for a matchup against Spikes, so perhaps Mayo's coverage skills won't be significantly tested.

Mayo is playing Bruschi's spot, Spikes plays the Ted Johnson's spot. Bruschi made big plays in the same defense and I never once heard him use the system as an excuse.

Have you seen teams consistently run effectively to the part of the field he is responsible for? I haven't.
Have you seen teams consistently throw effectively into the zone he is covering? I havent
People need to know what the job is to judge it.
An ILB in our system is never going to be defined as a 'game breaker'.

Mayo is asked to control the area between the C and T on his side of the field playing 2 gap defense, and rarely blitizing, and to cover his zone.
To make the kind of plays that people seem to expect from him, he would need to be making up his own assignments.
34 ILBs in a 2 gap system are not making tackles for loss, and cannot get sacks when they do not biltz.

Agreed, but doesn't zero career interceptions jump out at you ?

This week the full moon combined w/fall equinox ( first time since '91) will create a unique astrological opportunity - in other words - look for all the young linbackers to move up a level and start kicking butt

Bruschi was making the transition from defensive tackle in college to outside linebacker his first year or two in the pros before being tried at middle/inside LB. Mayo played mostly MLB at Tenn, didn't he?

Nope. WLB. He played his junior year at MLB.

He is not making us forget Ted Johnson at this point

His game thus far is to tackle the player who gets by the first line of defense...not much else to his game yet

I would rate him somewhere in the middle,not a superstar but not a dissapointment either

Last edited:

His game thus far is to tackle the player who gets by the first line of defense...not much else to his game yet

I would rate him somewhere in the middle,not a superstar but not a dissapointment either

Johnson = SILB, Mayo = WILB. Mayo should be more comparable to Bruschi; Spikes is the Johnson replacement.

Last edited:

Mayo is playing Bruschi's spot, Spikes plays the Ted Johnson's spot. Bruschi made big plays in the same defense and I never once heard him use the system as an excuse.

For an ILB in a 2-gap, learning when and how to commit to a gap to consistently make the play on the ball carrier is and art and a science, and it takes years to perfect.

To see an example of the consequences of the Pats D committing too early, refer to "Rice, Ray."

Bottom line, I see 2010 as another year of development/improvement for Mayo. We haven't seen his best yet, IMHO.

Last edited:

agreed. 10 char.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey