PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has James Sanders earned a starting job?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Sanders start next season?

• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Will James Sanders start at safety for the Pats next year?

I'm inclined to say yes as I thought he did a tremendous job filling in for Rodney, but it's always tough to judge the secondary from your TV set anyway.

I guess Wilson is the X-factor here. Does he move to CB? Will he get back on track?

On the other hand, the draft provides many options for young talent at S, do we tap into that?

James Sanders is key to answering a lot of those questions. If we feel he's a good starting safety, it no longer becomes a real priority in FA or in the draft.

Will James Sanders start at safety for the Pats next year?

Rodney is the starting SS and Sanders is not a FS so no although I do think he'll play a major role and if he continues to develop he'll be Rodney's long term replacement.

I guess Wilson is the X-factor here. Does he move to CB? Will he get back on track?

He hasn't played good safety in two years and when matched up one on one on the slot receiver or TE he hasn't been able to cover them. I have serious questions about him going forward until he proves me wrong. He certainly showed skills in 03 and 04 but they haven't been there of late.

On the other hand, the draft provides many options for young talent at S, do we tap into that?

If we get a shot at Landry or Nelson then yes in a heartbeat. If Merriweather's character issues check out I'd take him too. I have questions about Griffin but others love him. Seymour93 who knows more about Texas than I do doesn't love Griffin.

James Sanders is key to answering a lot of those questions. If we feel he's a good starting safety, it no longer becomes a real priority in FA or in the draft.

I don't think he addresses our need at FS which is a guy who can blend the speed to range from sideline to sideline and yet knock people on their @sses, yet I like him as a player and think he'll become our full time starting SS when Rodney hangs it up.

Rodney starts at SS.
Wilson starts at FS.
Samuel starts at CB.
Hobbs starts at CB.

Hawkins, Sanders, Scott, Gay, Jones, Mitchell, Andrews, and possibly a draft pick are the backups.

I think Rodney is the starter, but Sanders will see his share of time relieving Rodney at times. But more importantly I think Sanders will be in their on Nickle Packages which will give Pees some different option in blitzing. Sanders played real well.

I think Rodney is the starter, but Sanders will see his share of time relieving Rodney at times. But more importantly I think Sanders will be in their on Nickle Packages which will give Pees some different option in blitzing. Sanders played real well.

Nickel? I'm not so sure about that. I'd prefer a cover corner on a slot, not Sanders. Dime yes, nickel no.

I think you are right on, and it will be exciting to see him step it up.

Nickel? I'm not so sure about that. I'd prefer a cover corner on a slot, not Sanders. Dime yes, nickel no.

Depends if they want to play man or zone. if it's zone- I could see him in there- he's proven to be a good tackler IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes