Welcome to PatsFans.com

Has confidence in elected officials ever been lower??? A CNN POLL

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pats726, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

As of now, it's 88% NOW....as opposed to...3,2,1 % for various decades....and 5% for why ask....EIGHTY EIGHT PERCENT!!! Is that not totally damning of elected officials and where trust and confidence is NOT!!!

78,000 people voting....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I want to hide my head when I see most of them on TV. Of course, the (D)s tend to make me feel that way more than the (R)s but even the latter aren't exactly anything to make me feel good about things.

3. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Iraq war (((((sham job))))))
    Illegal aliens(((((It's massive and a sham job on fixing it)))))))))
    Billions unaccounted for in iraq(((((((no accountability)))))))
    Homeland security(((((((((((protecting popcorn stands:D )))))))))))
    And those responsible for the iraq war sell job like paul wolfowitz, who at one point said iraq's oil would pay for reconstruction, and when it does not and we find all the wmd claims are bogus, he gets promoted to head the world bank... (((((((((((Were doomed.))))))))))))))

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Don't forget the (D)'s shameful scare tactic conjob on partially privatizing SS. And lots of other stuff.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's not just Bush's people, the Congressmen are terrible, they're the ones that make me want to bury my head.

6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Elaborate please?

I looked at the issue a bit, and if americans invest and a percentage end up not doing so well, they will gripe to the gov't, which might do what the UK ended up doing and reverting it back to gov't controll. I'm not positive on all this and you being an english immigrant could confirm that part for me.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I can't comment on the English thing as I left when I was 12.

The bottom line on SS, as long as people would be limited to their choice of diversified funds, there is virtually no chance of losing money. Look at any period you want and over 10 years the stock market goes up. As long as there's basic controls like limiting it to diversified funds and going even safer in your last 10 working years, the scare tactics are just that. As I've said on other threads, I would happily pay 50% of my current SS tax and agree to never collect anthing if I could then invest the other 50% for my retirement as I wished.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Whatever, it's not just him. How about McKinney, is Bush responsible for her behavior ? It makes me sick that she is partially running the country.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't care if SS is about to go bust or not, if people could invest their own money (in a dictated, conservative manner), everyone would have more at the end. Having the government steal all that money from me only to choose how much and when to give it back makes me want to puke.

10. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Has confidence in elected officials ever been lower??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bush is bad news....there is NO DOUBT he is even worse than Tricky Dick at his worst....but Congress is just as corrupt...take a read of the new book "The Broken Branch" by Ornstein/Mann and see how poorly Congress has been...led by the Bushies!!! Just sickening!!

11. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

How do you know that "everyone would have more at the end" under a "private account" than under the Social Security?

Why do you think Americans OVERWHELMINGLY REJECTED George Bush's attempt to CONVERT the Social Security into another 401(K) "private" account.

Are they STUPID???

Of couse not.

The reason is that they get MORE out of Social Security then they would out of a "private" account.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

No they wouldn't. Next time I get my SS payout thing I'll calculate the monthly payments I'm scheduled to receive vs. what I could do myself.

Why is it rejected ? First it's never actually been voted on, although I realize the poll numbers were bad. Second, the (D)s scared the hell out of older Americans and had a huge voting block almost all polling NO. Third, Bush and the (R)s did a horrendous job of explaining the benefits of it.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Don't forget:

The recent pandering on the same sex marriage amendment...guess who that appeals to??
    The recent effort to pass a flag burning amendment..guess again??
    The pullout for Iraq, on both sides, guess who I voted for average Joe voter??

I have never seen such a lame crew, with an abyss of ethical leadership on both sides of the aisle...vote for anyone but the incumbant.

14. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It is not just amount vs amount.

You must also take into account how long you expect to live.

You must also include the COLA adjustment.

You must also include the fact that your wife will get at least 50% of your benefit.

This means you and your wife will get at least a total of 150% of your SS benefit EVEN IF your wife never works.

You must also include the fact that if you die today, your spouse and children will get "survivor benefit" untiil you wife dies and your kids attains 21.

You must also include the fact that you are disabled today, your wife and children will get disabilty benefits untiil you wife dies and your kids attain 21.

It is NOT ENOUGH to COMPARE benefit vs benefit.

SOCIAL SECURITY has many INSURANCE components that PROTECT your familiy.

For people who are not investment savvy (maybe like your wife), social security benefit is the SAFEST option.

Americans overwhelmingly REJECTED George Bush's 401(k) "private account" because THEY ARE NOT STUPID.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I know.

With privatized, I can leave it all to my kids and my wife when I die.

With privatized, I can retire when I have enough not when the government says they'll start giving me my money back.

And so on.

The better plan is to phase it out, probably at some cost, still have a SS tax for a true safety net as opposed to a retirement system, and let me make my own decisions. There's no way in hell I'm working until I'm 70, sorry, just not gonna happen. But I will have to wait until close to then to get a dime out. So I save for my retirement myself with one arm tied behind my back.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Really? I must of missed when I or anyone I know were asked if we favored the idea, the only ones to my knowledge that was against it was the AARP. But of course the coots, failed to tell the other coots that this would have no affect on them.

Of course the middle class get screwed over again with the pandering to those who do not try to better themselves and are already a drain on the tax base.

17. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

McKinney? Be serious. She's one vote in 435 and she won't be there for long. There are aberrations in both parties, as we know. Remember Duke Cunningham?

And then there's all the Jack Abramoff people. McKinney is a wacko, but no one has yet accused her of selling her vote.

I'm not forgiving her. I'm just making the point that neither party has a monopoly on either vice or virtue.

18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't take these sorts of votes terribly seriously because people have such short term memories. Sorry, but I find it impossible to believe that the 70's inspired any more confidence in politicians than we have now.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Auntie Pelosi
    Uncle Teddy
    Little Worm Reid
    Blubber Belly Murtha
    Cynthia "Hair" McKinney
    Pant Suit Hillary
    Lovely Maxine Waters
    John Fonda Kerry