PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Colvin Signed for anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, 8 years ago I was 13, and I will admit I was a moron about football until I was about 18, so that first part is certainly true (my moronery even included me hoping we lose a couple games to the bills in 02-03 to show the mistake they made by trading my childhood hero Drew Bledsoe. Hello Patriot Nation, you are looking at a reformed idiot).

You are absolutely correct about experience; I'm not saying we must draft new LBs, but that if we do add free agents, perhaps some younger ones would be helpful.

I've got nothing against youth, and New England's linebackers have a lot of age to them. I think it underscores just how much of a premium BB places on experience in his defensive middle. Also, since the team looks largely for converted defensive linemen to play the schemes, it's got a smaller pool of players to choose from than most other teams.

I'd like to see Seau return and an 'older' (late 20's or up) but still effective player like a Brooking from Atlanta (just an example, not a shout out) to shake loose from his team after the draft. I thought Dansby would have been a nice signing, combining talent, experience and some relative youth, but the Cardinals made sure that wasn't possible.

P.S. Everyone's an idiot sometimes. The best we can do is try to limit the outbreaks.

Last edited:
I've got nothing against youth, and New England's linebackers have a lot of age to them. I think it underscores just how much of a premium BB places on experience in his defensive middle. Also, since the team looks largely for converted defensive linemen to play the schemes, it's got a smaller pool of players to choose from than most other teams.

I'd like to see Seau return and an 'older' (late 20's or up) but still effective player like a Brooking from Atlanta (just an example, not a shout out) to shake loose from his team after the draft. I thought Dansby would have been a nice signing, combining talent, experience and some relative youth, but the Cardinals made sure that wasn't possible.

P.S. Everyone's an idiot sometimes. The best we can do is try to limit the outbreaks.

I go to Idiot Rehab :)

I definitely would like Seau to return and would not frown on Colvin returning. I think they both help a lot in the run game. Seems that we have a lot of trouble with LBs in the passing game (covering TEs in short pass situations and whatnot, hence my desire for youth). That seem true to others or is it just me?

By your own chart Vrabel and colvin were picked up at 26. Parcells drafted the core of the LBs who became starters and you listed at 28, 29 and 30 respectively.

Seau is closer to 40 and Bruschi is looking old beyond his years (certainly not the kamikaze athlete of even two years ago).

Vrabel isn't a spring chicken either.

Everyone is over thirty and showing the results of some really tough miles.

It's simply an actuarial table at this point and that's not accounting for injuries.

Last edited:
By your own chart Vrabel and colvin were picked up at 26. Parcells drafted the core of the LBs who became starters and you listed at 28, 29 and 30 respectively.

Seau is closer to 40 and Bruschi is looking old beyond his years (certainly not the kamikaze athlete of even two years ago).

It's simply an actuarial table at this point and that's not accounting for injuries.

I remember reading an article last year quoting Ted Johnson saying he'd be willing to come back to play in goal line type situations, or situations where he'd be expected to smash into the middle. It's like young FA LBs don't want to play here, but all the older guys can't stop. It's like Florida of the Linebacker world - Come to NE to die!

Vrabel had already been in the league for 4 years. Colvin had already been in the league for 4 years. All it takes is a quick look at the Patriots' draft history this decade to note the lack of emphasis Belioli have placed upon drafting linebackers at the top. I'm sure you have a point. However, since I've not denigrated youth in any way, and I have simply pointed out Belichick's preference for experienced players at the linebacker positions, I have no idea what it could possibly be.

Both Seau and Bruschi played fine last season. It was the youngest member of the 'main' LB corps, the prize free agent Adalius Thomas, who was the weakest link among the linebackers. I expect Thomas to play better this season, at 31, than he did at age 30 last season, because of improved health and experience in the system.

Mike Vrabel was an All-Pro last season, and legitimately so. We should all hope that every other player on the team shows those same kinds of results of 'some really tough miles' this season.

Last season, this 'actuarial table' was one of the best LB corps in the NFL. It helped guide the Patriots to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. It helped the team win 2 playoff games. It helped the defense hold the Giants to 17 points in the Super Bowl. It helped put enough pressure on the Giants that multiple opportunities were available for the DB's to make a play to win the game for the Patriots.

Rather than whining about the age of the linebackers, we should be paying tribute to their ability to play at such a high level at their age, and at the ability of the coaches to put them in a position to succeed at this advanced stage in their careers. With all the crying about the linebackers, hasn't anyone figured out the coach the team replaced was the DB coach (Collier)?

Last edited:
Vrabel had already been in the league for 4 years. Colvin had already been in the league for 4 years. All it takes is a quick look at the Patriots' draft history this decade to note the lack of emphasis Belioli have placed upon drafting linebackers at the top. I'm sure you have a point. However, since I've not denigrated youth in any way, and I have simply pointed out Belichick's preference for experienced players at the linebacker positions, I have no idea what it could possibly be.

Both Seau and Bruschi played fine last season. It was the youngest member of the 'main' LB corps, the prize free agent Adalius Thomas, who was the weakest link among the linebackers. I expect Thomas to play better this season, at 31, than he did at age 30 last season, because of improved health and experience in the system.

Mike Vrabel was an All-Pro last season, and legitimately so. We should all hope that every other player on the team shows those same kinds of results of 'some really tough miles' this season.

Last season, this 'actuarial table' was one of the best LB corps in the NFL. It helped guide the Patriots to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. It helped the team win 2 playoff games. It helped the defense hold the Giants to 17 points in the Super Bowl. It helped put enough pressure on the Giants that multiple opportunities were available for the DB's to make a play to win the game for the Patriots.

Rather than whining about the age of the linebackers, we should be paying tribute to their ability to play at such a high level at their age, and at the ability of the coaches to put them in a position to succeed at this advanced stage in their careers. With all the crying about the linebackers, hasn't anyone figured out the coach the team replaced was the DB coach (Collier)?

No doubt, the DBs gave away that Superbowl. Blown play after blown play, however, they HAD Eli on that pass to Tyree and let him go. That was a total defensive collapse.

Of course, teams lose games, and the offense didn't show up either, but that's for another thread. You make plenty of great points here.

I think my only desire for youth is certainly not that it's needed this season, but moreso that it will be needed in the future.

I remember reading an article last year quoting Ted Johnson saying he'd be willing to come back to play in goal line type situations, or situations where he'd be expected to smash into the middle. It's like young FA LBs don't want to play here, but all the older guys can't stop. It's like Florida of the Linebacker world - Come to NE to die!

Ted's having his problems. Enough said, I think.

Do you see the word draft in my posts? I believe you were dead set against a 5th round pick for Seward who has similar experience to Vrabel and youth to Colvin and V. when we picked them up. You simply cannot keep acquiring 30+ year linebackers and expect to have depth or athleticism, especially with injuries. Our linebackers cost us the colts afc chanpionship game period.

We used to be able to line up all different ways because we could rush from all LB positions. Bruschi and Seau provide zero pass rush most games. We now are a conventional two OLB rush team that needs to blitz DBs to add any pressure. When colvin went down, so did our rush.

Vrabel had a great 3/4 of a season. He and Bruschi are wearing down like a set of tires that have never been rotated.

I don't think we have one of the best LB corps. We have the most experienced and probably the slowest.

We have a young, athletic, all pro Line. Bruschi has simply seen better days. Seau has been injured about every year for the last 5 (could be wrong, but he was injured in Miami). He's an amazing athlete, but that many injuries and almost 40? He's not an immortal. Colvin's gone and Adalius was inconsistent, to be kind, last season.

I think they should get tributes. It'll be time for the gold watch pretty soon.

Last edited:
Do you see the word draft in my posts? I believe you were dead set against a 5th round pick for Seward who has similar experience to Vrabel and youth to Colvin and V. when we picked them up. You simply cannot keep acquiring 30+ year linebackers and expect to have depth or athleticism, especially with injuries. Our linebackers cost us the colts afc chanpionship game period

Wow! My mistake. I didn't realize that New England lost to the Colts in the AFCCG this season. What the hell was I thinking? Here I was under the apparently false impression that they'd beaten the Chargers.

I think they should get tributes. It'll be time for the gold watch pretty soon.

Given your above posts, it's pretty clear that you're all about agenda and not reason. Fortunately, this team is run by people who aren't that way.

Last edited:
Wow! My mistake. I didn't realize that New England lost to the Colts in the AFCCG this season. What the hell was I thinking? Here I was under the apparently false impression that they'd beaten the Chargers.

Sorry 2006

Given your above posts, it's pretty clear that you're all about agenda and not reason. Fortunately, this team is run by people who aren't that way.

Did they get younger? :confused:

Last edited:
Yes, we love all our linebackers, we love them until they are 40. We need YOUTH. I love every guy who is a Patriot or was for a long time, but sometimes you have to move on. Is he really going to help us in the long run? I just hate to see the Pats continually sign vets at LB and not get the youth they need.

Roger that! I also think Rosie and his agent have this Ty Law thing about money.

I go to Idiot Rehab :)

I definitely would like Seau to return and would not frown on Colvin returning. I think they both help a lot in the run game. Seems that we have a lot of trouble with LBs in the passing game (covering TEs in short pass situations and whatnot, hence my desire for youth). That seem true to others or is it just me?

3-3-5 with a safety that can be a CB (hello Merriweather.) Of course, I'm not Belichick.:)

Sorry 2006

Did they get younger? :confused:

I think he was to slow to figure that one RayClay!

Desert, was Thomas on the squad in that AFCCG in Indianapolis? Was Alexander normally playing big minutes at ILB in 2006?

Perhaps it's you and RayClay who are a bit slow.

Desert, was Thomas on the squad in that AFCCG in Indianapolis? Was Alexander normally playing big minutes at ILB in 2006?

Perhaps it's you and RayClay who are a bit slow.

Let's see, we added Thomas and cut Colvin. What's 1-1?

Oh, Seau and Bruschi continue to sage in only one direction every year also.

So we've cut a 30 year old with years of experience in our syatem and added a 30 year old without same.

Older, less experienced. Tell me where you see the progress.

Last edited:
Let's see, we added Thomas and cut Colvin. What's 1-1?

Oh, Seau and Bruschi continue to sage in only one direction every year also.

So we've cut a 30 year old with years of experience in our syatem and added a 30 year old without same.

Older, less experienced. Tell me where you see the progress.

I remember adding Thomas and still having Colvin last season. By doing so and allowing a younger player to go elsewhere, they became better. Now you're complaining because the team cut a player who couldn't pass the physical?

Last edited:
Nevermind moving this to the right thread.

Last edited:
Colvin did not pass a physical. Neither did Kyle Brady. Neither did Lua. They were all released. That's standard procedure.

Colvin, while I one of his supporters, was overpaid, especially nearing the end of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes