OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Yes.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • He's not as effective as he once was, but he's still a good playoff QB.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • No.

Votes: 50 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Brady's on a 3-game playoff losing streak, and he's looked horrible in two of those three losses. Has he become a choker?

"Choker" has become the most overused term in sports. I doubt Brady is that much different than the guy who was winning SB's. But the guy who was winning SB's had a much better defense, and his coach then had much better gameplans that were fairly new to the league.

A lot of things have to go right not just to get to a SB, but to even win a playoff game - including getting a certain amount of luck.

Last I looked, there were 44 other guys who are part of the game day roster. That loss can't be put 100% on Brady. No single person cost the Pats the game. There were many miscues yesterday.

Last I looked, there were 44 other guys who are part of the game day roster. That loss can't be put 100% on Brady. No single person cost the Pats the game. There were many miscues yesterday.

We can't put it all on him, but we did when Manning's Colts were losing playoff games. We should be consistent, at least.

Choker? Hardly. He's had his fair share of poor playoff games even during the Super Bowl years, but in those instances, his teammates helped him out, especially the defense.

Everytime Brady plays must be an automatic win? I ******* hate these *****ing threads. Those early championship teams were great with great players and even they lost games.******* drives me nuts when people say we haven't won **** and especially not winning after spygate.Look at that other greatest of all time QB.He has a losing record in the playoffs.

You can't blame Brady for the 07 SB loss and the 09 team was ****.

Future is bright for us going forward and that's all i care about for now.

We can't put it all on him, but we did when Manning's Colts were losing playoff games. We should be consistent, at least.

This is sadly the right answer.

this ^

hate to say it but 3 playoff losses in a row , with the way the offense has mightily struggled to score points (49 points in the 3 losses...not even a 20 point avg) would mean that yes , he's choked

i can say that because as much as i love philip rivers, he's done some choking of his own in playoff games (most notably vs the jets last playoff, that one int right to leonhard was awful)

anyway, if your O isn't scoring at least 20 points on offense, the qb isn't doing his job (the caveat being , if the other players on offense are fumbling away his passes/handoffs)

the difference in this brady 3 game losing streak is, he's been playing some damn good defenses (giants, ravens, jets)

whereas a guy like manning would be dropping games to somewhat decent defenses like the chargers and saints (although for a stretch it was the steelers and pats ending peyton's seasons)

so brady is a choker the past 3 losses, but he's not playing against the sisters of the poor, on defense either

you guys should probably invest in a free agent wr who isn't a headcase

i'd go after vincent jackson, yeah he's a drunk but new england does a better job of disciplining problem guys (unless it's moss, that guy is just ******ed)

Everytime Brady plays must be an automatic win? I ******* hate these *****ing threads. Those early championship teams were great with great players and even they lost games.******* drives me nuts when people say we haven't won **** and especially not winning after spygate.Look at that other greatest of all time QB.He has a losing record in the playoffs.

You can't blame Brady for the 07 SB loss and the 09 team was ****.

Future is bright for us going forward and that's all i care about for now.

your future is indeed bright, you just gotta reload, fix the oline a bit, and get some deeper wr threats

Well, last year, Brady was playing with broken ribs and finger and coming off a season ending injury. I will excuse him for that.

In the Super Bowl during the 2007, he went from engineering an incredible game winning drive to "choker" because any one of three defensive plays in the next series (Meriweather and Samuel dropped INTs and the most miraculous catch in Super Bowl history). Plus he was playing with a bum ankle.

Yesterday was the only day I really felt Brady was a significant reason for the playoff loss without any legitimate excuses to defend his play.

Hard to win a football game when you're on your back every freakin play. However, like someone said, to be fair, he should shoulder the brunt of the blame as he would no doubt receive the majority of the glory had they won.

Hmmm. Right now 21 say yes/not as effective, 16 say no.

other than 2007 hard to compare brady and manning's playoff chokes.
look at the offensive weapons manning has had for 10 yrs vs what brady had last yr and this yr.
Last yr-no welker , moss,aiken ,stone hands watson,,maroney
This yr- much better but still a bunch of rooks compared to marvin harrison,reggie wayne,clark,edge james and bunch of other first rounders mannign has played with.
Having said that, i dont believe manning to be a choker either. his coaching staff is not willing/capable to help him out when things dont go well and just assume he will figure it out.

This is what hurts, I am going to keep reminding myself every regular season that we went 30-2 and lost to a WC team with average QB play. We need a defense and run game, not the TO creating and 'put the game away' running game but a defense and run game that can produce even if the passing game is getting stopped, like in these last three playoff games. Brady can throw 80 TDs and 0 picks but he will lose again next year if we don't have that, and he will lose to a team that most didn't even worry about.

"Choker" has become the most overused term in sports. I doubt Brady is that much different than the guy who was winning SB's. But the guy who was winning SB's had a much better defense, and his coach then had much better gameplans that were fairly new to the league.

A lot of things have to go right not just to get to a SB, but to even win a playoff game - including getting a certain amount of luck.

The guy who won Superbowls didn't throw picks!

What would we say if Manning had the same last three games as Brady? And if Manning played the way Brady has in the last 2 games @ home?

straw man, no one is putting 100% of the blame on Brady.

Last edited:
Well, last year, Brady was playing with broken ribs and finger and coming off a season ending injury. I will excuse him for that.

In the Super Bowl during the 2007, he went from engineering an incredible game winning drive to "choker" because any one of three defensive plays in the next series (Meriweather and Samuel dropped INTs and the most miraculous catch in Super Bowl history). Plus he was playing with a bum ankle.

Yesterday was the only day I really felt Brady was a significant reason for the playoff loss without any legitimate excuses to defend his play.

I think the offense had more excuses yesterday than in 07, in 07 the defense did a damn good job at holding NYG to 17 overall and 10 for the majority of the game. Last night they let the Jets run and pass all over, Eli is a good QB but Sanchez isn't, Sanchez put up 21 on us, and the rookies were shown to be just that. There was no Moss or anything, no record breaking TDs and points this season, we were a great offense, much better than last night sure, but the defense was absolutely horrible at getting pressure and stopping the drives of the Jets.

Pretty even poll. And I can't blame ppl for voting yes. That's 3 in a row. Two straight one-and-done's. And Brady was as much to blame in this game as anybody.

And was it just me, or were receivers open a lot more than they're getting credit for? I keep hearing that the Jets coverage was amazing, and sure, it was impressive I'm sure... but on a lot of replays of the throw-aways and errant throws and pressures... Brady just looked timid, scared, whatever you want to call it, and couldn't make a play when HE needed to.

To follow up arguably his best year ever with this? It's unimaginable... I can't believe how bad he was.

None of those 44 other guys are the highest paid player in NFL history. It's Brady's job to put the team on his shoulders, and he didn't. Nobody's putting 100% of the blame on Brady, but he deserves plenty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots