PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Belichick Showed all Defensive Schemes Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't unleash his full genius until the Super Bowl.

I don't believe that Belichick enters a game determined to hold back, to run a vanilla defense so he doesn't give anything away for the future.

The games are usually too close for this.

Belichick is all about one game at a time. What is the best defense to counter the problems this specific offense offers? Let's win this game, and then move on.

If 'releasing the hounds' means blitzing, then they blitz when they feel it's an advantage. In the Jacksonville game, Jacksonville rarely blitzed but instead dropped most of the defense into coverage. Brady, with the extra time, hit Welker, Faulk, and Maroney, averaging only six yards per completion or so to those receivers, but with a 93% completion rate, that didn't lead to too many third downs. However, Jacksonville didn't feel that they had an advantage by blitzing. In the past, New England has used this approach against Manning, dropping lots of players into coverage. In the Jan 2007 AFC Championship Game, Manning used that defense to do the same thing Brady did against the Jaguars -- he hit the underneath guy in the middle of the field, and the receiver picked up plenty of yardage.

In the Giants game, I felt that New England decided they were not being successful in coverage and had to increase the pressure, taking the risk of open receivers. Eli Manning was more accurate and patient than they expected. They adjusted by increased blitz pressure, and were successful with the pressure in the second half. That doesn't mean that they went in with a plan of one defense in the first half, and another in the second half.

This argument essentially posits that Belichick says:
We want to let them score a couple times in the first half.

That's absolutely crazy.

Belichick would like to score every time they have the ball, and stop the opponent every single time they have the ball.

Now, another, different, question is:
Have the Patriots showed all the defensive schemes they are capable of yet?

The answer to that question is no.

Recall the Philly Superbowl year.
They played Pittsburgh by attacking their safeties, going over the top, and running a high-scoring offense, forcing Pittsburgh to try to keep up.
The following week they ground it out against the Colts, keeping the score low, flooding the passing lanes with defenders, keeping the Colts in long drives.
In the Super Bowl, they unveiled a defense featuring five linebackers and only two linemen, keying on McNabb and Westbrook in space.

They showed three entirely different approaches.
But they designed a gameplan for each individual opponent.

That's the approach the Pats take.

They will design a defense for the Chargers that addresses the specific strengths of the Chargers. If it doesn't work, they will adjust over half-time.

But this isn't a case of them having a great defense, but not unveiling it.

Belichick is all about one game at a time. What is the best defense to counter the problems this specific offense offers? Let's win this game, and then move on.

But this isn't a case of them having a great defense, but not unveiling it.

I'm convinced, but I guarantee he has some tricks up his sleeve on offense.

I actually do think he's been playing things relatively close to the vest, but it's not entirely clear to me how much is left in the vault.

Probably not much. A few tricks here or there, but I don't think full schemes.

He's pulled a few things out when he's needed them that I bet he would have rather saved. For example, the two-point conversion play against the Giants was an exceptionally well designed play that I bet they've been practicing all year. I'm guessing he wouldn't mind still having that in his pocket. The "statue of liberty" play against the Jags also was something he might not have wanted to see run if the game hadn't been tied. (Although it may also be that he specifically wanted that play for that game, since he knew the Jags had seen the direct-snap to Faulk play before and were more likely to bite.)

At the same time, I think he's shown some stuff deliberately just to show it, to set up other stuff -- like the flea flicker against the Steelers. I think he wanted teams to see that, to give them more to worry about.

I'm sure there are similar examples on both sides on defense, but it's a lot harder to understand defensive schemes just by watching on tv.

I think our defense is what it is, and we're not going to see some new guys out there all of the sudden. When teams are losing and have to press, our defense is fantastic and very opportunistic. When the games are close, we play a much more bend-but-try-not-to-break defense that is susceptible to long drives if our opponent is content to try to grind it out and not go for the home run. (Just ask A.J. Feeley.)

We're not a team that turns our opponents over as much as I'd like. The team is tied for 10th in the league in takeaways (31), which is very respectable, but I think they kind of slowed down in this category toward the end of the season. (Compare this to San Diego, which led the league with 48.)

I'm not expecting anything that different from what we've seen. Hopefully we'll get some early points and our defense will pounce on mistakes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back