PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has BB turned around any problem players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joker said:
BB turned around Ty "Ecstasy" Law's career after he went into the tank in the 98/99 seasons...first year, Law moped and b!tched in the media about the system...the second year he came back to All Pro form.

BB (and Ty deserves credit as well) also got some pretty good production out of Ty after he went ballistic and called him a "liar" over contract negotiations

There could be more to Sullivan's problems than just over eating. Losing is depressing. And constant losing does bad things to certain players. Winning on the other hand is addictive and intoxicating. You always want to win more.
The chance to be a winner is a large motivator. Let's hope Sullivan taps into that.

PS: I wouldn't mind sending Sullivan and Klecko to Arizona for one of their young WRs.

Patjew said:
When I (sort of) met BB in April, someone asked him how he got players to buy into the team-first concept. He answered that it's all about getting the right players, because by the time they arrive it's usually too late to change them. Personally, I think BB's brilliance is in choosing/sticking with players who others identified as problematic, but that he sees as just having been in a bad situation. Dillon, Rodney, Law, etc.

I think the team first concept will play favorably to Sullivan's chances of turning his career around. Using Dillon as an example, when he arrived in Foxboro he said over and over that the best part of coming to NE was that the only thing expected of him was to do his job. He was not going to be asked to carry the franchise on his back, be a face for the team blah, blah blah.

Seems like Sullivan could be a victim of his own potential in that he was drafted by a horrible team who moved up a few spots in order to get him, was probably tagged early on as the guy who was going to turn things around (How many of those guys work out?) and was asked to take on a huge ammount of responsibilty when in all likleyhood we was proably a little immature to begin with and not quite equipped to handle it. If Sullivan can come in here and be a quasi-viable back up NT for Wilfork, than the trade was worth it. If he comes here and sucks, oh well nothing really lost anyway. But, if comes here and can just do what is asked of him, he may start to play with a little confidence again, and who knows where it could go.

I can think of several examples where BB/SP have brought in former high draft picks who have been underachievers in the NFL: Duane Starks and David Terrell come immediately to mind. I can't think of any who have worked out.

BB has been able to find formerly productive players who have supposedly lost a step/their edge or whatever you want to call it: Corey Dillon and Rodney Harrison are two prime examples. These guys worked out, obviously.

The point is I don't believe BB/SP have a good track record with players who have not previously been productive in the NFL but who were high draft picks - the very definition of underachievers. They have a better record (but not perfect record, example A being Donald Hayes) with guys who have been productive.

BB's "right" nfl players aren't the dudley do-rights

Patjew said:
When I (sort of) met BB in April, someone asked him how he got players to buy into the team-first concept. He answered that it's all about getting the right players, because by the time they arrive it's usually too late to change them. Personally, I think BB's brilliance is in choosing/sticking with players who others identified as problematic, but that he sees as just having been in a bad situation. Dillon, Rodney, Law, etc.
the brilliance with BB/SP is they look for the guys who have talent but seem not to "fit" where they are.
IMO BB's not a turnaround coach like Parcells. BB/SP want guys who don't fit in somewhere. they played on good teams & were productive in college, but have vanished in the nfl. they look for guys who are accustomed to winning. they get them into a situation where that is reinforced all day every day.
then there's the mantra: smart, tough, a little mean, plays in pain, a team leader.
i think sullivan fits with that, and he's next to big sey. but if he's a loser, it won't take long to see. that conditioning run is no day at the beach. if he shows up in shape, that sez a lot.

The only motivation Sullivan should need is the fear of his former college peer, Seymour, telling him that he has made nothing of himself but a fat sloppy slug. Think about having a college peer of yours he becomes a real star in your chosen field. Then think of yourself as a comparable talent who has had no success, is getting dumped by your company, and are getting a last chance to prove yourself at your former peer's company. If that situation isn't enough to make you bring your A game, then you are hopeless in life.

BB doesn't need to give this guy any motivation. If he can't get up for this himself, he's not worth any special attention from the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes