PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has BB actually tried to draft the "QB of the future" yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he has.

He said that they did after drafting Jimmy G.

“The situation we have at quarterback, we felt as an organization that we needed to address that to some degree in the future,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. “See how that all works. I think you’re better being early rather than late at that position.”

"We know what Ryan’s contract situation is," Belichick said. "We know what Tom’s age and contract situation is. I don’t think you want to have one quarterback on your team. I don’t think that’s responsible to the entire team or the organization."

Is it possible Brissett is Garoppollo's heir apparent?
I think that is obviously their plan...garoppolo will be 25 next year with several years of experience under his belt...will be FA in 2017....they will trade him. Brissett better learn fast!!

There's a large contingent of fans that believe Jimmy G. will be a starting QB someday. The kid has - as they say in baseball - the right kinda "stuff."

Jimmy has the misfortune of playing backup for one of the greatest QBs in history - and short of some career-ending injury or Manning-esque collapse, he will probably be playing for another team in 2017

Much as we hate to admit it, Brady's at the age where a Favre or Manning-like collapse becomes not only possible but increasingly likely, and 40 year olds don't recover from injuries the same way that 25 year olds do. If they thought Brissett has a chance to be a starter, I see no problem with the selection at all.

Except that he didn't really say "We see Garoppolo as the next starting QB."

Unless you are drafting in the top 5 no one will say that -especially a "earn it" coach like BB

I understand why the Patriots do it but we can't ignore they continue to waste high pick draft capital on guys who come gameday, effectively, have contributed nothing to the Patriots.

I do wonder if Brady's magnificence allows BB to gamble a little more with his draft strategy more than if he had a mediocre player at the position.

hqdefault.jpg

You plan to win the game.

Draft capital is just one of several means of acquiring talent. People obsess over it, but the point is to win the game, not develop draft capital.

We could bench Brady and start Jimmy so it's not a "wasted" draft pick as many often refer to Jimmy. But that would be stupid. The point isn't to maximize every draft pick's value. Otherwise we would hand Dobson the starting spot and make him learn on the job as many teams have done in the past. We wouldn't have signed Revis and Browner, letting Ryan learn quicker. We wouldn't win as many games or come close to competing for championships if our main focus was maximizing our draft capital.

But Herm knew. You play to win the game.

And a common thread over the past few years is that if Brady's done for the year, who cares who fills in? (I'm not accusing you of this, just addressing this since it's inevitably going to come up). But it's not just about a season-ending injury or a wasted roster spot. Last year's Broncos should have finally ended this argument.

The Broncos spent a 2nd on Brock Osweiler in 2012. He was a "wasted" roster spot for the first 3 seasons, and then he signed with the Texans after his contract was done.

But when Manning got benched, he went 4-2 as a starter (5-2 by the records, but Manning came in to win that last game and I don't think Brock really deserves credit for it). If he goes 3-3, they don't get homefield advantage. If he goes 2-4, they don't even make the play-offs.

He didn't play a single down in the play-offs. But the Broncos couldn't have won the Super Bowl without him. And maybe he will fizzle out. Maybe he's totally over-rated. But that's the potential value of a good backup QB. Miss the playoffs or win the Super Bowl. Yeah, I think that's worth a high pick. And if you asked most Broncos fans, they're obviously disappointed he's gone, but I don't think they would change that pick if they could go back in time.

Compare that to Manning's last team, which wasn't prepared. When he got injured as a Colt, they ended up with the worst season in the league. Fortunately, that got them Andrew Luck. But it was a lost season and could have been much worse if they hadn't tanked at the right time.

There's also additional financial value that comes from a drafted backup QB. Jimmy's contract is 4 years, $3.5M. His cap hits over the 4 years: $633K, $792K, $950K, and $1.1M.

Matt Cassel is making $2M as a backup this year. Henne, Sanchez, Stanton, Hill, and Hasselbeck all made $2M or more last year as a backup. For a 1/3 to 1/2 the price, we are filling that roster spot with a similar QB with upside vs. the descending play of an older veteran. That's another $1-$1.3M to spend elsewhere. That's not the difference between signing a superstar FA, but it might be the difference in keeping one more mid-range player. Combined with the rule of 51, that's somebody like a Ryan Wendell or Hooman in 2014, both of whom played a critical role in our championship run (Harbaugh probably still has nightmares of 11 Hoomans lining up with nobody knowing who to cover).

So I don't mind the draft capital spent on the most important position in the game. It's why I have home insurance. I am happy to never use it. But if I need it, I will be okay. I would feel a lot worse if Jimmy had turned out to be important, that he had to play whole seasons at a time.

And maybe they're wasted draft picks after all. We won't know until they start studying and playing. Maybe they don't have much upside and won't be the next one. But you can't just believe every scouting report word for word as the truth on a prospect. Don't forget this one:

QB TOM BRADY
(6-4 1/2, 211, 5.25) Michigan

Notes: Baseball catcher and football quarterback in high school who was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 18th round of the June 1995 baseball draft. Opted for football and redshirted at Michigan in ’95. Saw limited action in ’96 and ’97 and started the past two years. Completed 3-of-5 passes for 26 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in ’96, 12-15-103-0-0 in ’97, 214-350-2,636-15-12 in ’98 and 180-295-2,216-16-6 in ’99, when he often shared time with super sophomore Drew Henson. Went all the way against Alabama in the Orange Bowl and completed 34-46-369-4. Unlike many Michigan quarterbacks, Brady is a pocket-type passer who plays best in a dropback-type system.

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.​

Always thought the Jimmy G was the first try to get it right, and he might be the heir apparent... Brisset is a NFL newcomer and a relative unknown to the big stage..

Not sure how you will be able to carry Jimmy G, but if you can't Brisset is probably heir apparent to him..

There's a large contingent of fans that believe Jimmy G. will be a starting QB someday. The kid has - as they say in baseball - the right kinda "stuff."

Jimmy has the misfortune of playing backup for one of the greatest QBs in history - and short of some career-ending injury or Manning-esque collapse, he will probably be playing for another team in 2017
Always thought the Jimmy G was the first try to get it right, and he might be the heir apparent... Brisset is a NFL newcomer and a relative unknown to the big stage..

Not sure how you will be able to carry Jimmy G, but if you can't Brisset is probably heir apparent to him..

You're both absolutely right.

I liked Garoppolo before the 2014 draft, and he clearly had the right stuff. Accurate, a Brady-esque throwing motion and a true leader. And now he gets a few years to sit behind the greatest QB of all time, refining his skills away from the spotlight, as did Aaron Rodgers.

I am genuinely looking forward to seeing him lead the Patriots for the first 4 games this season. It's the one chance we'll have to find out what we've got in Garoppolo. If he doesn't look anything special and goes e.g. 2-2, then no worries, and it's back to Brady long-term.

But if Garoppolo dominates....oh jesus. That'll be tough.

I am in no position to comment on the viability of Brissett as a QB for this team but, given that I see so few starting roster spots for rookies, I fail to see the harm in adding him.

In fact, given the very strong value placed on the QB position in this league, I am beyond pleased that the Pats roster is in such great shape that they are in position to actually consider adding such a player.

You're both absolutely right.

But if Garoppolo dominates....oh jesus. That'll be tough.

Anything better than a 2-2 start this year would be the balls! Imagine "the 31" gnashing their teeth if Jimmy G lights it up for the Pats! :)

One other sidenote on the value of a good backup QB.

The Cowboys went 1-11 in games without Romo last year. There was a possibility of Romo coming back for the play-offs if they made it. If they went 6-6 in those games, they win the division and host a play-off game. Depending on which games they won, they could have potentially even gone 4-8 if they had won more division games, which is why they didn't officially put Romo on IR until after week 15.

A decent backup that could play .500 would have made a big difference. Suddenly the Cowboys are 10-6, division winners, with Romo potentially coming back for a home play-off game.

Speaking of the Cowboys, if you're one of those who still think drafting a backup QB is stupid, you should be a fan of Jerruh Jones. Since BB took over, the Cowboys have probably spent the fewest picks at QB:

2001 2nd: Quincy Carter
2007 4th: Isaiah Stanbeck (converted to WR)
2009 4th: Stephen McGee

So really, only 2 guys in the past 15 drafts. They still haven't taken one this year either, although if they do, it won't be with a premium pick.

And with Romo getting older and banged-up, you can see the impact of even missing a game or two without him over the pastf few seasons:

2015: Backups go 1-11.
2014: Romo healthy, team wins 12 games
2013: Romo misses the last game, Orton loses it to lose the division.

In 2013 and 2015, backup QBs were making around triple what Jimmy was, and not really doing much to help the team win anyways. Weedon might have been the only guy who could potentially improve, but Cassel and Orton were in decline and would only get worse.

Meanwhile, a team like the Packers took a guy they didn't need in Rodgers. This is the best-case scenario obviously. But what people often overlook is the 2008 draft. It would be Rodgers's first year as a starter, but Thompson spent a 2nd on Brian Brohm just in case. And in the same draft, he spent a 7th on Matt Flynn, who would overtake Brohm, who didn't even last 2 years. Flynn wouldn't do much initially, but would later return as a free agent to help the team salvage the 2013 season by going 2-2 (after other backups went 0-2), allowing Rodgers to come back for the last week of the season to win the division.

The Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson, but they did so after signing Flynn to a big free agency contract. At the time, that could have been seen as an unnecessary/wasted pick. But that turned out pretty well.

The point is that some people believe you don't need a backup QB, and shouldn't spend much on one. But you don't need one until you need one, then you really, really, really need one. They could be the difference between last place and first, studying for the draft or preparing for the playoffs, or even winning a Super Bowl.

I have no problem with BB continuously investing in the most important position on the field. Nobody else should either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing