PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has BB actually tried to draft the "QB of the future" yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't meant as an attack on Garoppolo or Brissett.

it's simply what I believe to be true. Namely, Garoppolo and Brissett were both drafted with the same goal in mind:

The Patriots took them specifically to fill the QB2 slot, with the hope—as opposed to the expectation—that they might be "the guy," if the unthinkable should happen.

Evidence: when they took Garoppolo, his contract didn't extend beyond Brady's. They drafted Brissett, whose contract will run until 2019. . . . the same year as Brady's.

I don't think the Patriots will be looking for "the guy" until they know Brady is in the last couple of years of his contract.

Brissett and Brady will both be signed for four years soon. Brady will be 43 after those 4 years.

Unless you believe that they are just wasting picks by drafting backup QBs all the time, I'd say that taking a quarterback in the 2nd/3rd rounds counts as taking a shot at a talented player.

We've seen O'Connell, Mallett, Garappolo, and now Brissett all taken relatively "high" in the draft now. What's funny is that the two who actually worked out (Cassel and Hoyer) were a 7th and a UDFA. Add Brady to the mix and you have our three most successful QBs lately all taken past the 6th round.

Unless you believe that they are just wasting picks by drafting backup QBs all the time, I'd say that taking a quarterback in the 2nd/3rd rounds counts as taking a shot at a talented player.

We've seen O'Connell, Mallett, Garappolo, and now Brissett all taken relatively "high" in the draft now. What's funny is that the two who actually worked out (Cassel and Hoyer) were a 7th and a UDFA. Add Brady to the mix and you have our three most successful QBs lately all taken past the 6th round.

Just to be clear, I don't see it as a waste. IMO QB2 is an actual roster spot that they want to fill, and that the ability to become "the guy" is gravy.

Granted I have watched one video of the guy but from what I have seen our new QB is VERY different from Brady and Grop. Both of them have quick releases and rely on getting the ball out on time and in the right place. Both very accurate and make good quick decisions. Brissett is more Big Ben light, huge arm and a big dude who while not fast is strong and tough to bring down with surprising wiggle to make the fatty's miss. More creative and excels rolling out or when the play breaks down. Not really a good fit for the patriots offense but seriously fun to watch and will make our defense work during practice. I no longer hate the pick but find it curious BB would take such a different QB from what he usually goes for. I absolutely trust BB over my amateur analyst but I see him having to seriously work on his accuracy and delivering the ball on time and being less reliant on back yard crazy how did I do that football which works less in the NFL.

It's well worth drafting a QB every couple of years. You don't want to be in the position the Browns or the Texans are in. Keep drafting them until you find the guy.

As I understand it, only one team has drafted more QBs than us since 1999. BB loves drafting QBs and tends to do so fairly high.

Just to be clear, I don't see it as a waste. IMO QB2 is an actual roster spot that they want to fill, and that the ability to become "the guy" is gravy.

Re-reading my response, I wasn't meaning to come off as a smartass. I don't play those games too often, and I certainly wouldn't play them with you. I'm pretty sure you already realize that, but I did want to clarify just in case.

For me, the bottom line would be that they could most likely find a viable QB2/QB3 just about anywhere, so to spend a relatively high draft pick on the position (multiple times over) tells me that they are attempting to narrow it down to a pool of players who have exceptional talent.

I agree with their system as it pertains to selecting QBs, and I truly do believe that they would've taken a QB today either way. I highly doubt that a 4 game suspension or injury would sway their opinion one way or the other, although we're likely to hear that angle played up in the media.

It's well worth drafting a QB every couple of years. You don't want to be in the position the Browns or the Texans are in. Keep drafting them until you find the guy.

As I understand it, only one team has drafted more QBs than us since 1999. BB loves drafting QBs and tends to do so fairly high.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's such an important position, they likely feel that it's worth the draft capital to try and take one of the top 3-4-5 quarterbacks of the entire class. To take it one step further, the entire organization has been rather spoiled and successful in terms of being able to take risks and gambles due to keeping the cupboard stocked. I'm not sure if you'd necessarily see the same approach from a lot of the other teams in terms of constantly picking QBs in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

It's good insurance. Sometimes you can get picks if there going to leave.

Sometimes.

Other times you get a few years of some overly optimistic people throwing around potential 1st/2nd/3rd round draft pick compensation only to find out that your guy is basically worth a conditional 7th rounder...

I would have rather had them go with Connor Cook as a futures project. Brissett may become a good backup but like someone said.... doesn't seem to fit the Patriots system....don't know if garoppolo will be the starter here someday or not. Cook would have been a good prospect

it's simply what I believe to be true. Namely, Garoppolo and Brissett were both drafted with the same goal in mind:

The Patriots took them specifically to fill the QB2 slot, with the hope—as opposed to the expectation—that they might be "the guy," if the unthinkable should happen.

Evidence: when they took Garoppolo, his contract didn't extend beyond Brady's. They drafted Brissett, whose contract will run until 2019. . . . the same year as Brady's.

I don't think the Patriots will be looking for "the guy" until they know Brady is in the last couple of years of his contract.

I would have rather had them go with Connor Cook as a futures project. Brissett may become a good backup but like someone said.... doesn't seem to fit the Patriots system....don't know if garoppolo will be the starter here someday or not. Cook would have been a good prospect

I fully agree with you. I would've been rather excited for the possibility, much like I was with Mallett.

Cook must really have some arrogant traits. Either way, I expect him to go fairly early tomorrow in round 4. He's definitely worth a shot for a mid-round draft pick.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's such an important position, they likely feel that it's worth the draft capital to try and take one of the top 3-4-5 quarterbacks of the entire class. To take it one step further, the entire organization has been rather spoiled and successful in terms of being able to take risks and gambles due to keeping the cupboard stocked. I'm not sure if you'd necessarily see the same approach from a lot of the other teams in terms of constantly picking QBs in the top 3 rounds of the draft.
I understand why the Patriots do it but we can't ignore they continue to waste high pick draft capital on guys who come gameday, effectively, have contributed nothing to the Patriots.

I do wonder if Brady's magnificence allows BB to gamble a little more with his draft strategy more than if he had a mediocre player at the position.

I understand why the Patriots do it but we can't ignore they continue to waste high pick draft capital on guys who come gameday, effectively, have contributed nothing to the Patriots.

I do wonder if Brady's magnificence allows BB to gamble a little more with his draft strategy more than if he had a mediocre player at the position.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph, Aus.

For me, the draft has gone pretty much exactly as I would expect, with the exception of not having traded anything into next year. I'm not surprised one bit by the QB selection, although I would have preferred a guy like Cook, who apparently is freaking teams out due to not having been named a captain and some arrogance rumors. Even then, I can't imagine a scenario where he's not taken tomorrow in the 4th round.

I think people take for granted how good of a position this team is generally in every year. I always speak of the draft in terms of it basically being a "luxury," and while I'm sure that I throw around the term a bit too often, there's no denying that the bulk of our 53 man roster was already set, and that rings true in most years. With double digit draft picks and the only real "needs" being OL and RB, Belichick was almost certain to take some chances at DL, CB, WR, QB, and LB.

I think it's just pretty much all about taking shots for the future, in order to try and use the draft capital as THE major source of talent, vs. being forced to pay for higher priced free agents. Obviously, some of those will pan out, and some won't. As you mentioned, having Brady around allows them to focus more on certain positions because they know that he'll make up for the lack of talent at others.

Cook wont get draftet, going UDFA for sure. You can battle cancer, need a knee surgery and you get draftet. But playing QB and not be the leader is a no no. If college players wont vote Cook captain, thats the biggest red flag you can have as QB. Think about it, Johnny Football was captain at AM, Cook not so much !

Is it possible Brissett is Garoppollo's heir apparent?

Cook wont get draftet, going UDFA for sure. You can battle cancer, need a knee surgery and you get draftet. But playing QB and not be the leader is a no no. If college players wont vote Cook captain, thats the biggest red flag you can have as QB. Think about it, Johnny Football was captain at AM, Cook not so much !

Cook will likely go early tomorrow, remember Matt Barkley? But I think your point is well made. There are clear character concern for teams.

Is it possible Brissett is Garoppollo's heir apparent?

Very possible. Lance Zierlein compared him to Jameis Wimston albeit slightly behind Winston in terms of development. There's some stuff to really like about Brissett's game. I've watched 3 of his games this morning and he's constantly under pressure and I think that's affected him, particularly this last year. But I can see that Winston comp. I really like what he can become.

QB needs to be a numbers game. The draft is an inexact science, no one really knows when Brady will choose to retire, and even a good qb might not be able to be the right qb for what BB wants to do.

Brissett single handedly made NC State look like a decent team the past few years. I'd say that in and of itself makes taking him worth a shot.

I have no comment on the player himself, but the strategy is very sound. The Patriots draft a guy who can sit behind Brady and Garapolo. If Brisset does well this summer and Garopolo plays well in preseason/Brady suspension. Patriots can trade Garapolo and still maintain 2 QBs on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back