PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has anyone heard an Aaron Schobel to the Pats rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a college coach here in MA just emailed me and told me the Pats may be signing Aaron Schobel.

I cannot find anything about it on the Internet.

I know he is a free agent, but I also head he might be retiring.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Buffalo holds his rights. He's NOT a free agent. It's very doubtful they would let him go to a division rival. Tell your college buddy to spend more time on the books.:bricks:

Last edited:
The rumor is that Schobel will be waived. Mediots note that the patriots might have a need for help at OLB/DE. So, yes there will be rumors with regard to almost any available or potentially available passrusher.

With regard to trading within the division, the bills would trade him anywhere. After all, the alternative is to get no compensation.

Last edited:
Buffalo holds his rights. He's NOT a free agent. It's very doubtful they would let him go to a division rival. Tell your college buddy to spend more time on the books.:bricks:

I live here in Western NY.... Lot's on this story here. He's retiring. Lost his heart. Bills know it. They called him and said "we're moving on" to help him make his decision for him.

Then they went public with it. Something they wouldn't have done unless they knew he was done. They have no trade leverage since they basically said "we're done and moving ahead". Schobel is quoted as saying "They made the right choice and helped me make my decision (to retire)".

Expect to hear him retire in a few days.

I believe he's owed 6 million bucks this year as well if he plays.

I think they were planning on releasing him based on his retirement musings until after they told him they would and he immediately went public about wanting to explore other options once released... Then Buffalo determined they would not release him but rather shop him. If he doesn't report they can place him on the retired/did not report list and not owe him a thing or risk oweing him a thing. His only leverage now if he in fact wants to play somewhere else is to facilitate a trade (including taking a pay cut) or show up and threaten to play...

I believe he's owed 6 million bucks this year as well if he plays.
According to Rotoworld he had $6.5M in guaranteed salary remaining for 2010. If he reports and gets hurt or he plays one snap in week one that is his. If he is cut after reporting that is his. If he retires he may owe them a refund on his 2010 roster bonus and part of his signing bonus if they choose to persue reimbursement. Lots of moving parts depending on whether he was just trying to get the hell out of Buffalo or really is done.

he should have kept his mouth shut about wanting to explore his options, now buffalo probably won't release him. in any event, schobel is owed a lot of money next and would have to restructure for the pats to consider him. And he could end up signing with his hometown team of houston in the end.

Perspective: Schobel coming here won't save the pass rush. I'm fine with working with what we've got and seeing what similar players might turn up during camp cuts. I expect options of similar ability to Aaron's will be floating around out there or available for cheap trades.

Be ok if we get him, but I'm not seeing it as some glimmer of hope in a dungeon of suck. Just another option of many.

Be ok if we get him, but I'm not seeing it as some glimmer of hope in a dungeon of suck. Just another option of many.

Guess you are half empty sort of guy...

Guess you are half empty sort of guy...

lol, nah, I just think we're ultimately gonna have to home-grow the pass rush.

SMY was talking about it yesterday, but in a purely speculative way.

A lot of things would have to play out. The contract/rights situation, money, Schoebel choosing here, etc.

All that said, if we got him, I think he'd definitely help.

What if he told the Bills he wasn't retiring but rather, graduating?! :D

If he did get released, he would only come to the Pats to play DE in sub-packages. Word is he doesn't want to convert to OLB in the 3-4. Still, if he wanted to take a pay cut (not sure why he would), I would take him here even in a limited role. He would instantly improve our pass rush in the dime on third down.

A friend of mine who is a college coach here in MA just emailed me and told me the Pats may be signing Aaron Schobel.

I cannot find anything about it on the Internet.

I know he is a free agent, but I also head he might be retiring.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

My friend's dentist said he goes to the same shul as Edelman's family and Amari Stoudemire in the off-season. Not for nothing, nu? Such a wallop he'll give Sanchez.

PFnV

Looks like his college buddy is spending plenty of time on the books. Nice call, though.

Why Patriots should get after Aaron Schobel - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

That such an option is potentially available to them, or any team for that matter, is unusual at this time of year. But it became a reality on Wednesday when the Buffalo Bills released the 32-year-old Schobel, whose agent told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that his client intends to play in 2010.

My friend's dentist said he goes to the same shul as Edelman's family and Amari Stoudemire in the off-season. Not for nothing, nu? Such a wallop he'll give Sanchez.

PFnV

He would truly be a mentsh if he were to come our way!!

he dose not want to play 3-4 OLB so why would he come here to be a nickel DE for 2 million a year. when a team like the jags need a pass rush even more then the pats will pay him 5 million to be a every down DE.

for me a had a nuff of the one year wonder vets who just take snaps away from guys like Jermaine Cunningham, let the rookies play if they make mistakes who cares it's not like the pats are bringing in DeMarcus Ware, they are bringing in over the hill vets who can't play any more and trying to turn them into OLB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes