Welcome to PatsFans.com

Has Anyone Had LASIK ?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BelichickFan, May 9, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

If so are you happy with it ? I'm moving on a course to do it quickly. I hate wearing glasses and my contacts have really been bothering my eyes recently. I guess people who have LASIK often end up needing reading glasses although I'm under the impression that's not due to the LASIK but they would have needed them just due to the nature of getting older if they'd never needed corrective lenses or surgery.

Anyway, any opinions ?

2. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

well

I have a friend who is an eye surgeon. He doesn't do lasik, (his partner does that) However he has told me a lot about it adn i think that i am going to wait a little longer to see what new developments they come out with. The bad thing about lasik is that it's permanent, you can't fix what they do. Everyone is different; so some people may need reading glasses and some people may be fine with 20/20 after the surgery. Just make sure that you go to a very reputable place to have it done if you do get it. A friend of mine had it done here in town by my friends (the surgeon) competition. :violent: He was under the impression that he would be perfect after the surgery. (before the surgery he wore contacs but had pretty good sight--just wanted to take out the contact aspect) Post surgery he has to wear glasses to read (ends up wearing them all the time) and is no longer able to wear contacts. So he is worse off now than before.

just my $.02

3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of in a situation where I don't want to "wait a little longer to see what new developments they come out with", though, as I'm 39 now and hate glasses and contacts. If I wait forever waiting for the perfect fix, I'll be dead :)

I'm a little concerned about the need for reading glasses - I guess LASIK increases the chance of needing them but doesn't guarantee I'll need them or guarantee I wouldn't without the surgery.

This is the place I would likely do it at :

http://www.tlcvision.com/

I guess it's where Tiger Woods got his done . . . maybe I should start playing golf ;)

4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -3

I've not had it but a prospective client was a group of Lasik practices... they've come a long way already and while there are still complications - most of the complications themselves are correctable

that group of practices was very concerned about US residents being attracted by cheapo Candadian practices offering cheap surgeies using old technologies

Most of the research here suggests its very safe - and so simple you can do it yourself at home now

http://www.lasikathome.com/index.html

(ok that's a joke, but a well done one)

I have no idea if this link is credible, but for a contrary view check this out

http://lasiksucks4u.com/

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Great post, never thought about talking about it here. I've been thinking about it for a number of years. Both my parents had it done, tho for different reasons. A few weeks back I had a test taken to see if I was a candidate, something to do with cornea thickness (I passed). I remember a golfer had his done (Gary Player?) and his complaint was he couldn't read the name tags of officials on the course. When I mentioned this, I was told the Dr. could tweak the eyes to correct this ( I'm guessing you lose some distance on the other end). From what I can tell, the cost is all over the place. When I lived in Dallas, there was a Dr. who performed the operation for $2,000 (he's well respected and did George Gervin's). I moved to Tampa and the going rate was $3,000. Here in Chicago, the Dr. charges $2000 per eye. Unless, everything went up drastically, I'll be flying to Dallas to get it down. Lets' talk more.

6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

What's kept me from doing it is that your eyesight starts deteriorating again after the surgery. If your eyes stayed in their post-op state, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'd hate to spend the money, and assume the small risk of blindness, just to be stuck in the same situation 10 years down the road.

7. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#87 Jersey

I did it and my results are great

----------------------------
    I did it about 5 years ago and was out playing hockey within a week of the procedure. I had worn glasses for over 30 years and was at very high RX for each eye with both glasses and contacts. I had a good result in one eye and an excellent result with the other. After waiting a few months to see if the other eye would improve to the same result as the other eye, we decided to do an enhancement on that eye and I have been 20/20 ever since.

I needed reading glasses for a few months after the surgery, but after fully healing, I now need reading glasses only if my eyes are very tired and the print is very fine. My eyesight has not deteriorated at all in the five years since the LASIX.

I sought out a very good Dr. The one I used here is the Northern VA area is an eye surgeon who does many other complicated surgeries. He is on staff at Georgetown and was involved in some of the trials for this procedure before it was approved for wide use in the states. LASIX is a walk in the park compared to some of the work he does. The pre-screening process with his practice was very good. While I was a good candidate, my wife was not. She has since had a different type of procedure done that has been an enhancement for some people who aren't good LASIX candidates. You might want to find a practice that does other procedures as well since you'd be better spending a little more money up front if that's what you need than to bargain shop with your eyes.

If you currently wear contacts and get a hallow effect from streetlights at night, you will typically get this after LASIX as well. I did and still do, but it is not severe and no worse than I got with contacts before.

It is very important that you allow your eyes to heal after the surgery. I know some people who have felt they could ignore the Dr's directions to go home and take a nap after the surgery. I came home and took a nap and woke up a couple of hours later and flipped on the tv and could see it perfectly.

I consider it to be a life changing event and I believe I had a good result because of

1.) Finding the best DR
    2.) Following the instructions fully.

If you do your homework now, you should be able to get a very good result.
    Good luck. I hope it turns out great.

8. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -3

If you want the best surgeon out there and are willing to go to Texas for it, the pioneer of Lasik surgery - the Doc who taught all the other Docs Lasik, and the Doc who the Docs go to - is Dr. Stephen Slade of the Slade & Baker vision center (Baker's been doing it almost as long) -he's located in Houston and still does the surgery himself

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  9. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It reminds me of The King of Queens episode where he got his wife LASIK for her birthday, but chose the doctor by a coupon he had. She was legally blind after the procedure. By the end, of course, she went to a reputable doctor and had her vision corrected. In reality not a laughing matter but, a very funny episode. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  10. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -3

We were considering using that episode in some way for our campaign to counter bargain basement Canadian practices... either that or comparing it with heart surgery... buy one bypass get the second one free...

11. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -2

12. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I've had several friends that did LASIK....there is another similar procedure by a different name I think? It all depends on YOUR eyes. Depending on the vision problems you have will determine the results and type of surgery you should have. Only one of my friends had a problem and it was corrected with a second surgery on one eye. Most of them have better than 20/20 vision in at least one eye now. None use glasses for anything. Everyone of them would whole heartedly recommend doin git as I have heard them numerous times do that to people considering it.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Well, 3 months later, for better or worse, I have my appointment in 3 weeks. I had long delays as I had to stop wearing contacts to get my eyes healthier. They were dry, red, etc. I've had a clean bill of health on my eyes and the procedure is on 8/29. I'm saving my pennies and knocking on wood :D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  14. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good luck. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2005
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Thanks, I can't wait to get these damn glasses off :rocker:

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I had it done btw. For those of you thinking about it, let me say :

LASIK RULES

It was as easy, and expensive, as everyone says. Basically no pain. The next day I could see 20/30 or so. I'm now about 20/25 and hope to get to 20/20 in the next few weeks. We'll see. I have slight double vision at night, when the pupils are big and the light has more of the inflammation to pass through. As the healing continues that's getting less and less.

But even if it stays exactly like this, it was worth every penny. In fact I've been so happy with it, my wife is going to get done too.

17. Dirtywater

Dirtywater Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great to hear! I have been thinking of doing this for about 5+ years.

Can you describe the process for me, and did you get the "newer" version when they do not need to actually cut the outer layer anymore?

Thanks.

DW

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Sure, there's really nothing to it other than the expense.

2-3 days before I had to put anti-biotic drops in my eyes 3 times a day. When I got there they did a few tests, including measuring my cornea - you need a thick enough cornea to do it, most people do. Then I headed off to the first laser room, this is where they do the Wavefront Scan. You have to keep your eye focused on the dot. There was a little pressure on the eye, enough to be uncomfortable but not hurt. That lasted about 30 seconds per eye. Then I waited for about 5 minutes while they programed the LASIK laser based on the Wavefront scan. This was a little weird as I couldn't see anymore, it was all hazy like I was in a thick fog. I moved onto the next LASER, again focusing on the green dot to keep my eye still. Another 30 seconds or so per eye and I was done.

Yes, about 1 minute per eye other than the waiting time.

Then they wrapped my eye up with goggles and tape so no dust could get in my eye. They gave me a sleeping pill and I was driven to the hotel (I was out of town to get it done). I slept until the next morning, took the goggles off went for my checkup and had 20/30 vision. Amazing.

A few tidbits -

Although you feel no pain, it is surgery to the eye. Nerves are cut which control teardrops so you need to use eyedrops while the nerves heal. You have to use the non preservative ones which can be costly. Probably add $100-$200 for these.

In addition the eye has swelling which goes down over 3 months. This is why you get a little double vision. As I said before, the bigger the pupil the more swelling the light passes through. So at night the double vision can be quite noticeable. During the day there is none. For the first month I would have to squint slightly to read the scrolling writing at the bottom of news or sports channels. Now that I'm about 10 weeks out, I no longer have to do that. I still have a little double vision but it's minor and getting better. And it's expected - certainly in the first 3 months, sometimes up to 6 months - as your eye heals.

In addition to the eye drops I had to do anti biotic and steroid drops for a week. 3 times a day, no big deal.

That's about it. The worse your vision the more likely they won't get it exactly right the first time. Mine was 20/600 - I'm not sure if I'll quite get to 20/20, I may stay at 20/25, we'll see. Many places offer free "enhancements" to take care of this. If you get an enhancement in the first 6 months they don't have to re-cut the flap so that's the recommended time to do it.

Oh, last thing, they suggest wearing the goggles to sleep for 3 months in case you rub your eyes at night. I didn't as I don't rub my eyes when I sleep but for some people it's probably needed.

I hope nothing I said scared you off. Other than the cost it's a walk in the park and the stuff I mentioned, while something to be aware of, is no big deal.

I stumbled on this awesome website if you have any questions :

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/index.php

19. Dirtywater

Dirtywater Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks.

I am in the "considering it" phase, and I always think it is going to get better and easier if I hold out and wait a bit, but I am almost at the point of just doing it. Within 2 years time is my current target. I am going to start my research now.

Thanks for the website, it looks like a good place to start. A couple of questions:

What happens if you blink while focusing on the green dot? Also, did you find it hard to drive at night during your healing period?

Where did you have your surgery done if I may ask?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

If you blink or move your eye, it's OK. They can reset the laser to start up where it left off. It's just preferable not to have to do that. I had no issues driving at night. I didn't have any halo issues or having headlights look like they had their brights on. Like I said, the double vision is worse at night so if I approached a stop sign I would sometimes see a small piece of a second but there was no safety issue driving and seeing cars approaching correctly.

This is where I got mine done :

http://www.tlcvision.com/