PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Adam Schefter gone off the deep end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never saw the point of 3 qb's. if any team is down to their 3rd you aren't winning many games anyway. Might as well use the roster spot on someone who can help you win and find out which of the other 51 players is the best at handing off

I never saw the point of 3 qb's. if any team is down to their 3rd you aren't winning many games anyway. Might as well use the roster spot on someone who can help you win and find out which of the other 51 players is the best at handing off

The point is that the league says, "See that first roster spot past the 45 game-day players? If you put a QB there, we'll let you dress that player and maybe even play him on game day if you want/need to. If it ain't a QB, though, no dice."

The point is that the league says, "See that first roster spot past the 45 game-day players? If you put a QB there, we'll let you dress that player and maybe even play him on game day if you want/need to. If it ain't a QB, though, no dice."
Yeah, but it doesn't give us a 54th player to keep Nunn, BJGE or someone else. No thanks.

I don't see what the big deal is. The Pats are screwed if Brady goes down anyway, what's it matter if it's Hoyer or Feeley

I think Belichick fan said it best.

The Colts have gone into every year with a pure clipboard carrier behind Manning on the depth chart and nothing else - because they know that they can't win a SB without Manning.

The Patriots probably think the same thing regarding Brady.

If he goes down again then season is dust anyway - you might aswell plan for the more likely eventuality ie that he stays healthy the whole year.

The Colts have Sorgi and nothing, they never keep 3 QB. I'd prefer to keep two QB and deal with the unthinkable if it happens.

Going with two quarterbacks is fine if the second quarterback is

a proven veteran familiar with the system. Not a rookie draft choice

or undrafted free agent. Hoyer will have a year's experience under his

belt next year.

I don't see what the big deal is. The Pats are screwed if Brady goes down anyway, what's it matter if it's Hoyer or Feeley

If Brady goes down for a game or 2, being able to squeeze out a win or two can be the difference between getting a bye or not getting one, and playing in Foxboro or on the road in the playoffs.

If Brady gets banged up over the course of the season, I'd like for Belichick to trust his backup enough to give Brady a chance to heal a little and go into the playoffs healthy.

Last edited:
I think the other part of this is if I'm the Eagles, holding on to Feeley and not making a move until week three makes more sense. If someone's starter goes down, they're going to be much more desperate and in need of acquiring him - which means they'll be able to up the ante and get more for him. Doing it now for the sake of making sure your roster is set isn't going to make you feel the need to give up much to get him. If you lose your starter and you don't have a starting calibur qb backing him up you're probably willing to give up more. So I think they may hold out to him before they rush into anything.

Last edited:
You know what's kind of funny? Matt Sanchez started 16 games in the Pac 10, and nobody questions that he should be the Jets' starter. Brian Hoyer started 26 games in the Big 10, and it's ridiculous that such a raw rookie should be #2 for the Pats.

Obviously, I'm not comparing the players as prospects; there's a reason one was a top-5 pick and the other was undrafted. But "experience" wasn't the reason.

It's still perfectly likely that the Patriots will sign a vet, but I don't think a rookie backup is quite so outlandish an idea as some of us make it out to be. If Hoyer and not O'Connell had been the 3rd rounder, wouldn't it almost seem obvious?

I think the other part of this is if I'm the Eagles, holding on to Feeley and not making a move until week three makes more sense. If someone's starter goes down, they're going to be much more desperate and in need of acquiring him - which means they'll be able to up the ante and get more for him. Doing it now for the sake of making sure your roster is set isn't going to make you feel the need to give up much to get him. If you lose your starter and you don't have a starting calibur qb backing him up you're probably willing to give up more. So I think they may hold out to him before they rush into anything.

From the Patriot's perspective, they may not wish to wait a couple

of weeks for the Eagles to try upping the ante. The tight end the Eagles

desire might be peddled off to the Bengals or Saints by the Patriots.

Chris just reported via Twitter that Bill says it's possible, but not certain, that they could add another QB before the season starts.

Yikes. Maybe they'll play their luck until Feeley gets cut.

Bill showing all his cards as usual.

Going with two quarterbacks is fine if the second quarterback is a proven veteran familiar with the system.
We won't have a proven veteran backup, that ship has sailed. I daresay we have as much chance with Hoyer as the Colts do with Sorgi.

I think Belichick fan said it best.

The Colts have gone into every year with a pure clipboard carrier behind Manning on the depth chart and nothing else - because they know that they can't win a SB without Manning.

The Patriots probably think the same thing regarding Brady.

If he goes down again then season is dust anyway - you might aswell plan for the more likely eventuality ie that he stays healthy the whole year.

I don't think Belichick thinks that way. If Brady were to go down for an extended period of time, I think that would put even more pressure on him to win. Even after last year, the haters like to use Belichick's record w/o Brady against him.

Here is the new depth chart at QB :

Brady
Hoyer
Edelman
Nick Caserio ! (...should have a handle of the offense !)

I suspect we still have Rohan Davey on speed dial.:D

Here is the new depth chart at QB :

Brady
Hoyer
Edelman
Nick Caserio ! (...should have a handle of the offense !)

The best bet might be Caserio for the reason you state.

I don't think Belichick thinks that way. If Brady were to go down for an extended period of time, I think that would put even more pressure on him to win. Even after last year, the haters like to use Belichick's record w/o Brady against him.

Personally, I don't think Bill cares what the haters think or have to say.

Belichick is a HoF HC easily.

Its the Superbowl or bust, he isn't looking for a playoff 1 and done to boost his resume.

You know what's kind of funny? Matt Sanchez started 16 games in the Pac 10, and nobody questions that he should be the Jets' starter. Brian Hoyer started 26 games in the Big 10, and it's ridiculous that such a raw rookie should be #2 for the Pats.

Obviously, I'm not comparing the players as prospects; there's a reason one was a top-5 pick and the other was undrafted. But "experience" wasn't the reason.

It's still perfectly likely that the Patriots will sign a vet, but I don't think a rookie backup is quite so outlandish an idea as some of us make it out to be. If Hoyer and not O'Connell had been the 3rd rounder, wouldn't it almost seem obvious?

Most of the people who can't see Hoyer as a #2 today wanted BB to dump Cassel and annoint his wonderkid O'Connell last season...LOL Cassel was the lone #2 on the roster for the first eight weeks in 2006. his second season. Granted he wasn't a rookie, just that second year guy who still hadn't started a football game (or played a meaningful snap even) since highschool...

As long as we have Brady barring the unthinkable I don't know what the problem is. Cassel had 4 years in and as well as he played this team didn't make the playoffs last season. They also didn't land a top 5 draft pick. It's as if some of them would prefer to have two or three name jags on the roster for comfort, totally missing the point that most of them couldn't run this offense if our season depended on it...

I dont see all the hype with Feeley. He is a one game wonder. Looked like a top 10 QB against the Pats in that game 2 years ago but then stunk the remainder of his games. Why do you think the Eagles picked up Vick??, or even kept Kolb on their team? Guess they dont feel Feeley is the answer. So far this kid Hoyer outplayed everyone the Pats brought in. Like another poster mentioned, it wont matter whos the back up if Brady gets injured. Brady is the offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back