Welcome to PatsFans.com

Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. won’t rule out a lawsuit...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Henry Louis Gates demands apology, sensitivity training - BostonHerald.com

Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. won’t rule out a lawsuit against the city of Cambridge, insisting not only that the cop who arrested him on a disorderly charge apologize but that the entire police force submit to sensitivity training, his lawyer told the Herald yesterday.

The demands came just hours after a mutual announcement by the city and Gates that the charge was being dismissed - with agreement Thursday’s incident was “regrettable and unfortunate” but that there had been a “just resolution.” The agreement made no mention of an apology or retraining.

Harvard Law professor Charles Ogletree, who is representing Gates, said the scholar remains upset about what happened, however, when he was first mistaken for a burglary suspect in his own home, and then arrested after allegedly shouting accusations of racism at the police officer.

From what I have read, the police were doing their job.
    They received a report that his home was being broken into.
    They went to his home and asked him for identification.
    He because a pompas as5 and called them racists & ended up
    in jail because he was a jerk, not because of the color of his skin.

Now it is on the national news....

Al Sharpton will be planning a candlelight vigil next......

Best of all it happened in the beautiful peoples republic of Cambridge.

l
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

All the cawky bastard had to do was explain to the police that he accidentally locked himself out and nothing would have happened. He probably got defensive from the git-go and was hauled in because of it.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I find it interesting that certain people will rush over here to talk about a pompous black man who victimized the police, never considering the possibility that there's any truth to Gates' version. He's a black man; therefore, he must be guilty. Nevermind the fact that the Gates is 60 and uses a cane, was clearly upset at the whole ordeal, and then was arrested, handcuffed in broad daylight for "loud and tumultuous behavior."

The failure of white conservatives to believe that it's possible that blacks are treated differently is why the Republican Party has failed among minorities. Conservative white people automatically assume the black man is guilty, and refuse to believe that the black American experience is different from the white American experience. Until this shameful ignorance is addressed by the Republican Party, it will have trouble winning over minorities.

I live not too far from where Gates lived, and as I mentioned in a thread yesterday, I have a black friend who has been questionned twice by people in a neighboring simply while standing outside my apartment building waiting for me. That's the black experience.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Do you also find it interesting that Al Sharpton automatically rushes in to assume everything is motivated by racism? I don't think anyone knows the complete facts here yet. Racism may have been a factor here though. Some police like to get people to overreact then nail them on the response. I've had it done to me. I rolled through a stop sign after seeing it was clear to go. I police car was parked in an adjacent lot obviously hoping to catch someone. It was my turn I guess. The policeman screamed at me and was very confrontational but I stayed cool and quietly said I was sorry and that I should have come to a complete stop. I was a teen at the time so I think there might have been some profiling then, at least that's what I thought back then. In any event when I apologized he let me off with a warning.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

"Hi I live here, I'm locked out"

Thats all it would have taken.

We all know what really happened.

No Further Comment.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Harry, you didn't read the news.

It should have been.

"Hi, I live here. That's why I'm inside my house and why I answered the door."

That's what happened.
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Being 60 and using a cane is an excuse now for acting belligerent to police who were doing their job in investigating a call?

It didn't matter what freaking color he was, they would have treated him the same damn way after the way he acted towards them :rolleyes:

What the hell does that have to do with anything especially his case? :rolleyes:

Apply what happened to some to happen to all. Crucify everyone regardless of what the facts may be. Nobody of a race is responsible because one person gets hustled :rolleyes:

You aren't interested in the facts of the case, you needed this to sound off about race. God forbid someone actually be guilty of being a pompous a-hole...:rolleyes:
  8. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You left out his tirade at the officers for not taking him at his word and doing what they are supposed to do in checking his ID to verify he is who he claimed to be :rolleyes:
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

So, you're assuming that Gates is lying and the police are telling the truth? The problem is that black people have a different experience, where the police seem to assume someone is a suspect because of the color of their skin.

Even assuming he was rude to the police, there was no reason to lure him outside and then handcuff and arrest him. How often does that happen?
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Perhaps if you and your friends had that experience for many years and even knew some people who were imprisoned, you might have opted for a different strategy. When I was a kid, I was caught stealing a notebook from a Woolworth's (actually, it's a bit more complicated than that). The manager of the store called my parents that night and said, "If your son wasn't from such a good neighborhood, I would have called the police." (Granted that was 40 years ago, but I think those attitudes still exist.)
  11. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Interesting point, I use a collection of slave stories edited and introduced by Professor Gates when I teach American history. I did a double take when I heard his name on the TV.

I don't really think he should sue, but it's not out of the question for him to want an apology. I know he acted angrily towards the police, but I don't know if I can blame him. That would be pretty crappy, to be accused of breaking into your own house. He should have acted more rational, as that may (not completely sure) have avoided his arrest. Still, the fact that the charges were dropped, I think, show that the cops knew they acted inappropriately when arresting him.
  12. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm assuming what I can tell from the facts on hand. He acted disorderly to the point where he would have been arrested regardless of what race he was. I've seen it firsthand dozens of times to dozens of people(white, black, hispanic, asian) who all acted the same way.

That does not excuse him from the way he acted, he has to abide by the same rules as everyone else.:rolleyes:

Actually there was. Remember that they responded to a report of a possible break in- he was asked to come outside when they first got there, they would ask anyone and everyone who is inside to come outside as part of their investigation into the call. He was only arrested after he began to follow them as they were leaving doing that and being verbal with the officers was cause to arrest him for disorderly conduct.

Anyone who acted the same way towards an officer would. I've been close at least twice, I stopped short when it was threatened :rolleyes:
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

Oh, sorry I thought they caught him breaking in, if he hadn't shot his mouth off he wouldn't have had a problem.
    Arrogance, shoulder chip and hate got this guy in trouble not his skin.
    What color were the cops?
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

There was no reason to handcuff him. I can't believe that, even if he was upset, the police could not have exhibited more sensitivity.

Assuming the police report is correct, he certainly was rude.

That's not what the police report says. The police stepped inside, and he was, judging from the photo, arrested on the porch of his home:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/...1docket_redacted_revised__1248200728_6644.pdf

No charge, but Gates case seethes - The Boston Globe

I'm not defending Gates behavior. I would not be surprised if he acted pompous and rudely, but I certainly think the police overreacted here. Hopefully the situation is resolved. I do not think that anyone should be punished.
  15. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Most likely white, but the one who actually arrested him for disorderly conduct...Hispanic :rolleyes:

In case anyone is actually interested in the side that is getting ignored, here's the actual police report in the own words of the officer(s): Gates Police Report
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think the police lured him outside since it's easier to make an arrest for disorderly conduct if you're outside your home than inside your home. I think Gates antagonized the police, but he was also highly insulted that the police would assume that a thief would answer the door and let the police inside. If I broke into a house, and someone knocked on the door I would not answer it.
  17. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They had reason to handcuff him. As soon as he went after them as they were leaving that was enough to arrest him for disorderly conduct.

Read the report more closely, they asked him to step out to get information and he started up on his tirade. As the officer was done Gates followed him outside and went after him verbally. He was told to stop but he still went off on them. The photo was taken after the warnings were issued, they came back up the stairs and took him into custody.

He had been warned to stop, but he did not.

Right you aren't defending him, just giving him a free pass because you don't agree with him being arrested. Act like that yourself...and see what happens to you. You would be in court alongside everyone else who did that :rolleyes:
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They lured him out? You are freaking kidding me :rolleyes:

This is getting ridiculous...you can't honestly believe they actually lured him out of the house???
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

A street smart punk would if he knew he was trapped, telling the cops he lived there would be his last chance and he would play it for all it's worth.

A Good Cop Suspects Everything And Everybody, with the type of people roaming the streets of America today his life depends on it, if this arrogant bastard had kept his mouth shut none of this would have happened, the minute he saw the Cops he went looking for trouble (oh poor me)
  20. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I understand that cops have to proceed with caution, but I have to side with Gates in this situation. I doubt he was looking to really cause a scene. I think that the cops accused him of being a criminal, and he reacted angrily and behaved poorly. He definitely shouldn't have, and you're right, he might not have been arrested. But there was no reason to arrest him for disorderly conduct. That's why the charges were dropped.