PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison has strained MCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
true.We all are +ve that its media speculation, but when local and national media all are hearing the same thing with no other news , there has to be some truth to it.As i said tommorow might be a big day, if pats want to end his season they will do it on tuesday.BB wont keep the news waiting so that his players can move on. He did something similar with Ty law just before the playoffs started.Lets just home its all false.

Why?.....

Read people's facial expressions and take a guess.

It's better than 50-50 he sits at least one game so if my guess is right I've got a scoop. If not, it's a gutsy recovery.

This is what passes for journalism these days.

Why?.....

Read people's facial expressions and take a guess.

It's better than 50-50 he sits at least one game so if my guess is right I've got a scoop. If not, it's a gutsy recovery.

This is what passes for journalism these days.

hope it turns out be the gutsy recovery version :)

The NFL Network can't know since the team is only getting back today. And the injury reports won't be out until Wednesday.

Until the Pats announce it, its pure speculation on their part.

Adam Schefter was the same one who announced that Cutler was out of the game with a concussion and wouldn't be returning. Cutler played the entire second half and the OT.

Right...i just posted what i saw.
PS: i dont care much about schefter either.he said javon walker was in boston for medical checkup last off season when he never flew here.

relax dude...no need to call names, i didnt call you names ok... ? happy new yr... its my view point thats all..momentum is good and iam in favor of it too..but more importantly healthy players...especially in that kinda weather and field. iam not criticizing bb or anyone for playing all the players ..that why i said its hindsight 20/20..natural human reaction...iam as much as a fan of the team as you are ..relax ...

Plus, BB wanted to sit Brady earlier and a lot of backups played in the second half while the game was close. Is BB a wimp too?

.......Curse the effin Titans. From everything that's happened so far, this Superbowl victory will be the sweetest of them all and I can't wait.

relax dude...no need to call names, i didnt call you names ok... ? happy new yr... its my view point thats all..momentum is good and iam in favor of it too..but more importantly healthy players...especially in that kinda weather and field. iam not criticizing bb or anyone for playing all the players ..that why i said its hindsight 20/20..natural human reaction...iam as much as a fan of the team as you are ..relax ...

SVN - You are the one who needs to relax. Not me. I didn't call you any names. I said your post sounded like chicken little syndrome. But if you have a guilty conscience, maybe there is something to it.

Yes, its your point of view. And I have mine. I feel yours is flawed and have the right to say so since you posted yours.

Yes, you are criticizing BB because you clearly questioned his judgement on playing the starters. Otherwise, you wouldn't have said that it would cost the Patriots MORE than it gained them. Well, unless you have precognition abilities and can see the future. Then you may have something. Otherwise its just BS speculation on your part.

No Rodney No Ring in my opinion, he has been one injury we have yet to overcome...

thats exactly how i feel about it.unf ucking believable:mad: :mad:

Lets not fold up the tents just yet. There no bigger fan of Rodney then me, but I'm not not sure I'd say say that we can't go the distance without him. There is only ONE on this team that deserves that kind of talk............. and that's Brady.

Will it hurt if he is not out there? Hell ya. I guess some others will need to step up and fill the gap. IF ITS THE CASE that he miss some time, let's hope its limited and that he'll be back in time to help us dome more this year.

Buck up, it ain't the end of the season.

Last edited:
I think it sounds pretty clear that Rodney will not play this weekend. But if we can't beat the Jets without Rodney, perhaps our playoff run was going to be short anyway.

However, as much smoke and mirrors that Mangini used this year. Its not going to get him a victory on Sunday. I'm sure he'll bust his teams ass in practice this week but when he takes the team out on the field this weekend its not going be the same Patriot team he faced a month ago.

Mangini knows that BB saves his best for the playoffs.

Brady and Co. will be ready and the defense is going to be a monster.

SVN - You are the one who needs to relax. Not me. I didn't call you any names. I said your post sounded like chicken little syndrome. But if you have a guilty conscience, maybe there is something to it.

Yes, its your point of view. And I have mine. I feel yours is flawed and have the right to say so since you posted yours.

Yes, you are criticizing BB because you clearly questioned his judgement on playing the starters. Otherwise, you wouldn't have said that it would cost the Patriots MORE than it gained them. Well, unless you have precognition abilities and can see the future. Then you may have something. Otherwise its just BS speculation on your part.
i said it was hindsight..just a natural reaction seeing an injury in a meaningless game...
i personally didnt have a problem with everyone playing for a while but if they had tanked it and rested all to play denver possibly , i wouldnt have complained either - i dont care who we play in the playoffs, we are 7-1 on the road . And frankly i didnt expect someone like brady to play that long...especially in a similar situation last yr we pulled brady when a win couldve got us a 3rd seed.
lets hope it all works out and rodney is back.
Thanks

Rodney is an injury waiting to happen.

Now, lets get serious here. The Pats can play ball with anyone even without Rodney. Remember the run last time around WITHOUT Seymore until the Eagles game. At that time, Seymore was the best player on the team hands down IMO on defense. And the Colts and Steelers were both better than this years Chargers (ok, this is debatable but easily arguable). So lets get down and dirty and remember: Tom Brady and Bill Bilichick are, respectively, the best quarterback and the best coach in the last 20 yrs of football. And those two positions happen to be the most important to any team by far.

I also think Harrison could play in the Bowl especially since it 6 weeks from yesterday.

I think that it's all some sort of a tear -- it's just how much (the more that is gone, the more difficult it is for the re-growing tissue to knit in place). Here is an internet article that seems to me to deal with it pretty well:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm

Because the medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the knee joint, the MCL is usually injured when the outside of the knee joint is struck. This action causes the outside of the knee to buckle, and the inside to widen. When the medial collateral ligament is stretched too far, it is susceptible to tearing and injury. This is the injury seen by the action of "clipping" in a football game.

An injury to the medial collateral ligament may occur as an isolated injury, or it may be part of a complex injury to the knee. Other ligaments, most commonly the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), or the meniscus (cartilage), may be torn along with a medial collateral ligament injury.
What are the symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury?
The most common symptom following a medial collateral ligament injury is pain directly over the ligament. Swelling over the torn ligament may appear, and bruising and generalized joint swelling are common 1 to 2 days after the injury. In more severe injuries, patients may complain that the knee is unstable, or feel as though their knee may 'give out' or buckle.
Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury tend to correlate with the extent of the injury. MCL injuries are graded on a scale of I to III.
  • Grade I MCL Tear
    This is an incomplete tear of the MCL. The tendon is still in continuity, and the symptoms are usually minimal. Patients usually complain of pain with pressure on the MCL, and may be able to return to their sport very quickly. Most athletes miss 1-2 weeks of play.
  • Grade II MCL Tear
    Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary.
  • Grade III MCL Tear
    A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer.
I have had two ACL tears, 4 meniscus tears and 3 knee surgeries so I also know a bit about the subject. And I admit I am ever the optimist, but I take hope from two things:

1. In general these classifications are rather fuzzy. MRI's are not 100% definitive - only "going in" tells the surgeon exactly what the damage is. Also, with ACL's at least the exact diagnosis by examination is very inprecise until the swelling goes down after a week or two.

2. The article described the diagnosis as preliminary.

Putting these two things together tells me the doctors are not yet sure how severe the injury is.

Finally, as Mike notes, MCL injuries usually occur when the pressure is applied to the knee from the side. The first I said to the people I was watching the game with when they showed the replay was that (a) the blow was from the front and (b) the blow was to the mid- to lower thigh rather than right on or just below the knee. Both of these factors immediately led me to speculate that the injury was mild.

So (as is my usual nature) I am going to "keep my fingers crossed" until and if such time as we get worse news.

I have had two ACL tears, 4 meniscus tears and 3 knee surgeries so I also know a bit about the subject. And I admit I am ever the optimist, but I take hope from two things:

1. In general these classifications are rather fuzzy. MRI's are not 100% definitive - only "going in" tells the surgeon exactly what the damage is. Also, with ACL's at least the exact diagnosis by examination is very inprecise until the swelling goes down after a week or two.

Putting these two things together tells me the doctors are not yet sure how severe the injury is.

Finally, as Mike notes, MCL injuries usually occur when the pressure is applied to the knee from the side. The first I said to the people I was watching the game with when they showed the replay was that (a) the blow was from the front and (b) the blow was to the mid- to lower thigh rather than right on or just below the knee. Both of these factors immediately led me to speculate that the injury was mild.

So (as is my usual nature) I am going to "keep my fingers crossed" until and if such time as we get worse news.

Thanks for the insight. Question, does the fact that he walked without a limp give any more insights ? I mean is it possible with an MCL 2 strain as is being reported ? Wouldnt the trainers be more cautious to let him walk in that case ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. Question, does the fact that he walked without a limp give any more insights ? I mean is it possible with an MCL 2 strain as is being reported ? Wouldnt the trainers be more cautious to let him walk in that case ?
There my experience is useless. I can tell you about ACL tears - they hurt like a mutha immediately after you tear them but you can walk without a limp, or with a small limp, within an hour or two. But I don't know about MCL's.

There my experience is useless. I can tell you about ACL tears - they hurt like a mutha immediately after you tear them but you can walk without a limp, or with a small limp, within an hour or two. But I don't know about MCL's.

Promised -
It depends on how severe the ACL tear is. When I tore my ACL, I couldn't walk on it or put pressure on it. At all. It varies depending on the severity of the tear and where the pieces end up after the tear.

Now, I do know that Bobby Shaw played in the NFL without ACLs in both of his knees. But he is the exception, not the rule.

Excellent contribution to this worried discussion!

I'll buy what you're sellin', PromisedLand.

Promised -
It depends on how severe the ACL tear is. When I tore my ACL, I couldn't walk on it or put pressure on it. At all. It varies depending on the severity of the tear and where the pieces end up after the tear.

Now, I do know that Bobby Shaw played in the NFL without ACLs in both of his knees. But he is the exception, not the rule.
I'm sure you're right about that, DaBruinz. All I know is from my personal experience. I completely severed both my ACL's in two separate injuries two years apart and I was able to walk (but no more than that) with little to no pain in a couple of hours both times. It makes sense that it has a lot to do with where the pieces end up. BTW I've been walking around with no ACL's too, since the second injury 15 years ago, but I'm no professional football player. That is pretty amazing!

My experience of MCL is that you can do a lot on it until the swelling starts -- I skied to the end of the descent -- but you need to get an ice pack on the knee a.s.a.p. The diagnosis is best done by an experienced sports physio when the swelling goes down -- they can actually feel the ligament; they also tell by twisting the knee and seeing at what point the pain kicks in. My diagnosis took about 2 minutes.

You don't use your MCL for everything, so you can do quite a lot even when it's damaged. My memory is that walking is OK, but running is a problem (and, oddly, turning over in bed!) I skiied (in a brace) a month after doing a level 2 MCL.

My guess is that we would have a pretty good chance of having Rodney if we were to get to the Big One.

havent read a lot above but theres correction

MCL SPRAIN

not STRAIN

Good info, Mike. Thanks. We'll just have to hope it was a "low" level 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing