PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison has strained MCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
saw it on the nfl network, that "rodney harrison will not play(leg)"

How the heck does the NFL Network know this when the team never releases any injury report of any kind until Wed.? The only answer is IR, but we would have heard that by now. The talking heads should shut up and see what happens.

No Rodney No Ring in my opinion, he has been one injury we have yet to overcome...

How the heck does the NFL Network know this when the team never releases any injury report of any kind until Wed.? The only answer is IR, but we would have heard that by now. The talking heads should shut up and see what happens.

They have internet access like the rest of us. I'm sure it came from Dr. Tomase's story in the Herald today. Pure speculation.

I looked at the hit a couple of times it looked more like the upper leg than the knee, but who knows..

he never should have been in the line up to begin with .:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

In engineering, strain is amount of elongation. When a ligament is medically strained, isn't iit elongated too much? Or is it damaged due to partial tearing?

It's damage due to partial tearing, as I understand it -- strain is just a euphemism.

THE headlines say.

"EXPECTED NOT TO PLAY"

That means that the media dont think he will play, nothing official has been thrown out there.

Thanks can you enlighten us more about tears..strains and pulls?? I always rgought a strain was more like a pull as opposed to a tear..so obviously there are more than one factor involved how much and where and??? Thanks for the correction...

I think that it's all some sort of a tear -- it's just how much (the more that is gone, the more difficult it is for the re-growing tissue to knit in place). Here is an internet article that seems to me to deal with it pretty well:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm

Because the medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the knee joint, the MCL is usually injured when the outside of the knee joint is struck. This action causes the outside of the knee to buckle, and the inside to widen. When the medial collateral ligament is stretched too far, it is susceptible to tearing and injury. This is the injury seen by the action of "clipping" in a football game.

An injury to the medial collateral ligament may occur as an isolated injury, or it may be part of a complex injury to the knee. Other ligaments, most commonly the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), or the meniscus (cartilage), may be torn along with a medial collateral ligament injury.
What are the symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury?
The most common symptom following a medial collateral ligament injury is pain directly over the ligament. Swelling over the torn ligament may appear, and bruising and generalized joint swelling are common 1 to 2 days after the injury. In more severe injuries, patients may complain that the knee is unstable, or feel as though their knee may 'give out' or buckle.
Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament injury tend to correlate with the extent of the injury. MCL injuries are graded on a scale of I to III.
  • Grade I MCL Tear
    This is an incomplete tear of the MCL. The tendon is still in continuity, and the symptoms are usually minimal. Patients usually complain of pain with pressure on the MCL, and may be able to return to their sport very quickly. Most athletes miss 1-2 weeks of play.
  • Grade II MCL Tear
    Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary.
  • Grade III MCL Tear
    A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer.

THE headlines say.

"EXPECTED NOT TO PLAY"

That means that the media dont think he will play, nothing official has been thrown out there.

true.We all are +ve that its media speculation, but when local and national media all are hearing the same thing with no other news , there has to be some truth to it.As i said tommorow might be a big day, if pats want to end his season they will do it on tuesday.BB wont keep the news waiting so that his players can move on. He did something similar with Ty law just before the playoffs started.Lets just home its all false.

While the play might not have been technically dirty, I think it's clear what Wade's intentions were. Rodney had gotten involved in some extra curricular with him on the play before.

Maybe. Of course, if I had just gotten involved in some extra-curricular with Rodney on the previous play and saw him charging my way while I was blocking, I'd duck too.

figured it was an MCL. 50/50 shot of making it back for SB if we get that far. set expectations accordingly :mad:

figured it was an MCL. 50/50 shot of making it back for SB if we get that far. set expectations accordingly :mad:

I will take a wait and see on this one...I would say NO ONE knows how fast it will heal, how much it has swollen up as of today or when and if it responds favorably.

Not Tomase, Rodney the Dr's or the Jets.........logic dictates at least one week - that's as far as I am accepting until I hear fact.

Keep in mind Harrison and Warren didn't play in that Jets Loss. The secondary was shaky and I think it became more solidifed after Sanders had some time to get acclimated.

so much felger and co saying pats did the right thing playing all the players...i know its hindsight but yesterday's will cost us a lot more than it gained

It did? Really? How do you figure? The Pats are now in the play-offs with something called MOMENTUM. A very important thing. The only thing more important that momentum is a bye week.

Quotes like yours sound more like chicken little syndrome then quality posting.

I like the way we entered the playoffs, the seeding was not set in stone, and The Pats felt we need to win and let the chips fall where they may.. If Harrison is lost for the season, its a shame,but I dont fault the Pats for not giving it all on Sunday...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=797

UPDATE 2: (8:40 p.m.) In the interests of medical accuracy, it should be noted that Harrison’s ligament injury is a sprain, not a strain, and has been corrected above. It’s all semantics to us lay people, but in general muscles are strained, while ligaments are sprained. MCL sprains are often actually slight tears, which could be the case here, but the important thing to note is that initial examinations did not reveal a complete tear, which would be season-ending.

Also, here’s what Jets head coach Eric Mangini had to say on the Harrison situation earlier this afternoon. Everything I’m hearing says Harrison’s not going to play this weekend, but I’m with Mangini on this one — I’ll believe it when I don’t see it.

“Until you see that Rodney isn’t out there, we’re going to plan that he is, unless we get some official word that he’s definitely out,” Mangini said. “Rodney’s tough. He’s like Laveranues Coles tough. There were rumors he wouldn’t be out there before our first game and one play into it, he’s out there causing problems. We’ll have to hold off on that one.”

Last edited:
It did? Really? How do you figure? The Pats are now in the play-offs with something called MOMENTUM. A very important thing. The only thing more important that momentum is a bye week.

Quotes like yours sound more like chicken little syndrome then quality posting.

relax dude...no need to call names, i didnt call you names ok... ? happy new yr... its my view point thats all..momentum is good and iam in favor of it too..but more importantly healthy players...especially in that kinda weather and field. iam not criticizing bb or anyone for playing all the players ..that why i said its hindsight 20/20..natural human reaction...iam as much as a fan of the team as you are ..relax ...

The NFL Network can't know since the team is only getting back today. And the injury reports won't be out until Wednesday.

Until the Pats announce it, its pure speculation on their part.

Adam Schefter was the same one who announced that Cutler was out of the game with a concussion and wouldn't be returning. Cutler played the entire second half and the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back