PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison activated; Rivers cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Per Reiss http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

A bit odd, but as Reiss pointed out, it might be that they had a game plan with only 2 TEs...and that he will return next week. I would have thought Baker would have been the odd man out on this...also, it seems that this means Maroney is not 100% as Eckel would have been cut if that was the case.

A bit odd, but as Reiss pointed out, it might be that they had a game plan with only 2 TEs...and that he will return next week. I would have thought Baker would have been the odd man out on this...also, it seems that this means Maroney is not 100% as Eckel would have been cut if that was the case.

I think alot of this is special teams motivated. I don't see Harrison playing special team just yet to protect him a bit. Eckel and Baker are pretty much only special teams players.

Definitely weird about Rivers although he'll probably be back. The Eckel thing makes sense although with Maroney seen a lot in the lockeroom this week (without talking) I think he'll be playing. Regardless of Maroney, we'll be seeing a lot of what's become our base offense with 1 RB, 3-4 WR spreading the defense out, creating mismatches and running lanes. Should be up, up and away for Brady's numbers again.

Maybe Belichick likes Eckel and Baker better than a tight end he's cut already.

Good thing Rivers signed a two year deal, talk about job security.

Go get em 37!

Rivers' new nickname: Squeeze Box.

"He goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out..."

How is it that Chad Brown wasn't cut? Chad doesn't bring much of anything...Also, why bring Rivers back in the first place if you are just going to activate Rodney...

Last edited:
How is it that Chad Brown wasn't cut? Chad doesn't bring much of anything...Also, why bring Rivers back in the first place if you are just going to activate Rodney...

Probably just some details Belichick missed. LMAO!!! :D :D

I think MrBW has it correct...it's about special teams..and Baker will help there a lot...and I also think it's that Cribbs is such a solid returner they need fast players...Baker will be activated...Rivers wasn't needed for this week, but will be back in a few days...when Maroney is better and Eckel can go back to the PSqd or???

I also think CBrown is needed in case of injury...more insurance...and I still think he'll have a good game at some point in the season.

I think alot of this is special teams motivated. I don't see Harrison playing special team just yet to protect him a bit. Eckel and Baker are pretty much only special teams players.

Heh...poor guy. Didn't I read something earlier this week about how he was about to sign elsewhere, but he was tickled to death to be back in New England?

"This is the life *cough* we've chosen. *cough* I didn't ask *cough* who gave the order."

Last edited:
Man, you can't help but feel sorry for Rivers - the guy went from Penthouse to Outhouse in two days.:bricks: Hopefully BB told him that they'd resign him at a later point.

We should have kept Rivers and traded him to Cincinnati for Mays.

But seriously, what is this with Rivers? He's a 53rd player at best.

Also, why bring Rivers back in the first place if you are just going to activate Rodney...

To have a full complement of players all week.

I doubt that Beioli, when they signed Rivers on Monday, said that "we'll cut him on Saturday."

Instead, it was "we'll cut whoever we feel is most expendable on Saturday."

If the Patriots lose a safety in the game Sunday, they have Meriweather, Andrews, Sanders, Mitchell, and Gay who can all play safety ahead of Baker.

If the Patriots lose a tight end, they can't run their normal two-TE offense.

Very strange.

It's like Cincinnati coming to the game with only four linebackers on the roster.

You want speed on special teams? How about Andrews? Meriweather?

I definitely thought Rivers would have stayed ahead of Brown (performance) or Baker (depth).

If the Patriots lose a safety in the game Sunday, they have Meriweather, Andrews, Sanders, Mitchell, and Gay who can all play safety ahead of Baker.

So they'll have to run a 3 or 4 WR offense. Boo-hoo.

Baker, Mitchell, and Andrews are all special teamers. And you're not going to cut Meriweather, Gay, or Sanders.

Maybe Vrabel will end up taking more snaps at TE. :D

Maybe they just want to cut him a paycheck now and then so he doesn't stray too far -:)

Very strange.

It's like Cincinnati coming to the game with only four linebackers on the roster.

You want speed on special teams? How about Andrews? Meriweather?

I definitely thought Rivers would have stayed ahead of Brown (performance) or Baker (depth).

Perhaps the game plan is devoid of 2 tight end sets? 3 wr, 1 te and 1 rb?

Glad to see Rodney activated but I feel kind of bad for Rivers. That guy's been cut more times than Chad Brown. LOL

Meh, as the article says, maybe he'll be back next week. I can't imagine Bill going the season with only two TE's.

Maybe they just want to cut him a paycheck now and then so he doesn't stray too far -:)

Serious question, when you sign a two year deal, do you get some dough when you're cut in 5 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back