PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hardcore tailgaters on this board will FREAK over this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
As if a Bears vs. Colts Super Bowl didn't suck enough, now they have banned tailgating at the game!

Outrageous!

It is a time honored tradition for people to come to Super Bowls to hang out, tailgate and then sit in the lot and watch the game on TVs.

When the Pats played in Houston, my cousins told me there were about 5,000-10,000 Pats fans just hanging out without tickets - tailgating, having a good time, patronzing the pubs around Reliant...

Well, not anymore.

Bad enough the average fan can't even afford or get their hands on tickets anymore, now they won't even let them near the place!

A new trend is born.

"Among the items banned: containers of any type, coolers of any size, backpacks, bottles, banners, noisemakers and horns."

Thanks, Wayne Huzeinga & the NFL!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...jan26,0,506335.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Last edited:
As if a Bears vs. Colts Super Bowl didn't suck enough, now they have banned tailgating at the game!

Outrageous!

It is a time honored tradition for people to come to Super Bowls to hang out, tailgate and then sit in the lot and watch the game on TVs.

When the Pats played in Houston, my cousins told me there were about 5,000-10,000 Pats fans just hanging out without tickets - tailgating, having a good time, patronzing the pubs around Reliant...

Well, not anymore.

Bad enough the average fan can't even afford or get their hands on tickets anymore, now they won't even let them near the place!

A new trend is born.

"Among the items banned: containers of any type, coolers of any size, backpacks, bottles, banners, noisemakers and horns."

Thanks, Wayne Huzeinga & the NFL!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...jan26,0,506335.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

I know this seems outrageous on the surface, but tailgating at the Super Bowl really doesn't make much sense when you really think about it. Most attendees are flying in and won't have their own cars, grills, coolers, etc., to bring along. Plus, it's important to enter the stadium area HOURS before the game, because security is ultra-tight. They have airport-style metal scanners and they go over everybody with a fine-tooth comb. If you wait too long to queue up in line to get in, you could be stuck waiting for two, three hours just to get through the gate. (I'm referring to standing in line, not waiting in your car to enter a lot, which can be another issue.) This is why they have entertainment on-site to keep people occupied in the hours leading to kickoff.

For SB 39 in Jacksonville, they wouldn't let anyone park in the lots around the stadium, as I recall. We had to park in a lot about two miles away and walk to the stadium from there. It was different for SB 38 in Houston, where you could park next to the stadium if you had a ticket, but I didn't see any tailgating anywhere. At Houston, people with tickets had lined up outside the entry gate two hours before the gates even opened. Once they opened, it was another hour or so just to get in.

Going to the game without tickets just to tailgate and watch it on TV near the stadium might be some folks' idea of fun, but traveling a long distance to do that seems a bit lame.

Last edited:
I parked right down the street from Jacksonville's stadium on game day. I'll bet the walk wasn't much more than a 1/2 mile to the stadium. Everyone was scared away from all the horror stories about not getting near the stadium. There were tailgaters around the stadium too. Folks in RV's and such. Tickets started around $3000.00 but at least they weren't fake.

I only wanted to pay less than $2000.00 and that seemed crazy enough. So, I watched the game at the Amsterdam Bar right there in front of the stadium. I met Jim Kelly there.

Around Reliant, yes there were lots of tailgaters. Tickets started around $1700.00 but were in very short supply and there were rumors of fakes floating around. The ratio of NE fans to Carolina fans seemed like it was 500 to 1 and nobody could get a ticket. I only saw 1 for sale the whole day and the guy was real shady. I wound up watching the game across the highway at some restaurant with about 100 other Pats Fans.

I know this seems outrageous on the surface, but tailgating at the Super Bowl really doesn't make much sense when you really think about it. Most attendees are flying in and won't have their own cars, grills, coolers, etc., to bring along. Plus, it's important to enter the stadium area HOURS before the game, because security is ultra-tight. They have airport-style metal scanners and they go over everybody with a fine-tooth comb. If you wait too long to queue up in line to get in, you could be stuck waiting for two, three hours just to get through the gate. (I'm referring to standing in line, not waiting in your car to enter a lot, which can be another issue.) This is why they have entertainment on-site to keep people occupied in the hours leading to kickoff.

For SB 39 in Jacksonville, they wouldn't let anyone park in the lots around the stadium, as I recall. We had to park in a lot about two miles away and walk to the stadium from there. It was different for SB 38 in Houston, where you could park next to the stadium if you had a ticket, but I didn't see any tailgating anywhere. At Houston, people with tickets had lined up outside the entry gate two hours before the gates even opened. Once they opened, it was another hour or so just to get in.

Going to the game without tickets just to tailgate and watch it on TV near the stadium might be some folks' idea of fun, but traveling a long distance to do that seems a bit lame.

What's kind of funny, personally, is that my nephew and his buddies planned a trip down here to do just that - tailgate without tickets - in anticipation of the Pats being here!

Now, they've got plane tickets, hotel reservations, but no Pats and NO TAILGATING!

Poor kids!

Much of the stadium's usual parking area will be used to host the 1-million-square foot "NFL Experience," billed as an interactive football theme park and party. On Super Sunday, it will only be open to ticket holders. It costs $15 for adults and $10 for children younger than 12.

"That's not tailgating; that's corporate sales," said Ray Bridges, a Colts fan with tickets to the game.

That explains it, and unfortunately sums up the NFL right now. Instead of honoring time-old traditions, the league is looking to make a buck. Instead of adding goal-line cameras, the NFL is adding speakers and microphones to every offensive player's helmet. Instead of bettering the ongoing officiating problem the league dumps millions of advertising dollars into Mexico and Europe in order to host regular season games there.

no tailgating in houston superbowl parking lots either - I was there- it is a terrorist prevention thing - in case you didn't know propane is explosive add it to the fuel in the cars and bad things can happen

Doesn't surprise me at all. Plenty of other stadiums have the same policy. This season here in Denver we tailgated for the Donkees-Raiders game on the Pats bye week. Beautiful day. Almost a beach day! We tried to scalp but there were not many tickets available.

Anyway we were watching on my TV at the truck during the 1st quarter and security told us we had to leave. We could not hang out in the lot during the game. No worries we simply moved the party to the bar.

I'm not surprised especially at the SB where they would be worried about security etc.

Tell your friends to hit a local bar or restaurant. After all part of the SB experience is meeting people from around the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes