PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard to Root for the Sox

its a no brainer. trade youk before the trading dead line and get as much as you can for him. hes gone after this year anyway. i would put youk back in the line up when he comes of the dl in the hope he would start to produce at the plate so his trade value would go up.

It's safe to say that the Bard as a starter experiment should be put to bed.

It's safe to say that the Bard as a starter experiment should be put to bed.
i could not agree more. hes a set up man period imo. look how much his velocity has dropped. the only thing that made him good was throwing gas at 100mph. i don't like him as a closer either but the sox might have no choice but to give him a shot at it. i think hes mentally fragile. hopefully his velocity will return if he goes back to the pen.

Last edited:
i could not agree more. hes a set up man period imo. look how much his velocity has dropped. the only thing that made him good was throwing gas at 100mph. i don't like him as a closer either but the sox might have no choice but to give him a shot at it. i think hes mentally fragile. hopefully his velocity will return if he goes back to the pen.
The reality is he's just not that good as a starter. Put him back in the pen where he belongs.

His last 2 outings were decent, and overall he's been mediocre. You don't pull the plug because of one very bad outing. It's just 2 months in.

His last 2 outings were decent, and overall he's been mediocre. You don't pull the plug because of one very bad outing. It's just 2 months in.
i never would have put him in the rotation to begin with. the only reason you dont pull him now is whats the alternative?

i never would have put him in the rotation to begin with. the only reason you dont pull him now is whats the alternative?

I agree about him not starting in the first place, but that's done.

I don't understand the whole culture of the starter/reliever thing anyway. What gives these guys the right to say "I want to start."? If you are hired to do a job, that's the job you do. You can work your way into a promotion in just about any job. Why is this any different? Bard has signed a contract, paid based on his position and experience as a reliever. Now he wants to start? Has he earned the promotion? I'm sure any of us would like a better, high paying job. Have we earned the promotion? If yes, then you likely get a shot. If no, then you get told to shut up and go do your job.

:confused:

Rant over.

I don't understand the whole culture of the starter/reliever thing anyway. What gives these guys the right to say "I want to start."? If you are hired to do a job, that's the job you do. You can work your way into a promotion in just about any job. Why is this any different? Bard has signed a contract, paid based on his position and experience as a reliever. Now he wants to start? Has he earned the promotion? I'm sure any of us would like a better, high paying job. Have we earned the promotion? If yes, then you likely get a shot. If no, then you get told to shut up and go do your job.

:confused:

Rant over.

Bard and others have every right to say it, and their boss (manager / GM, whoever) has every right to say no

They let him do it, it's not as if he's just doing it on his own.

You don't pull the plug because of one very bad outing. It's just 2 months in.
the plug was pulled. bard was sent down to pawtucket. if anything it will re adjust his attitude. i think mr bard feels entitled.

the plug was pulled. bard was sent down to pawtucket. if anything it will re adjust his attitude. i think mr bard feels entitled.

Is he going back to relief? Going to Pawtucket sounds more like he's remaining a starter.

Is he going back to relief? Going to Pawtucket sounds more like he's remaining a starter.
It sounds like a silly idea ;). He should be in the Bull Pen and left there. Even then, I'd be tempted to dangle Bard on the market and see if anyone will bite. He strikes me as a young man who will always be a thrower opposed to a pitcher.

Last edited:
It sounds like a silly idea ;). He should be in the Bull Pen and left there. Even then, I'd be tempted to dangle Bard on the market and see if anyone will bite. He strikes me as a young man who will always be a thrower opposed to a pitcher.

Now's not the time to try dealing him, if you're going to -- value is low right now.

thats a good question. based on the report i just watched i think he will be starting. either way he wont be in the big league rotation where he can affect the big club. i wouldnt deal him. i would stick him back in the set up role.

Last edited:
Now's not the time to try dealing him, if you're going to -- value is low right now.
I realize that. His value would be a hell of a lot higher if he was left in the pen. Then again he'd probably be a proficient pitcher in that spot not a JAG as his current performance dictates.

Last edited:
in pawtucket today bard hit two batters. gave up 3 runs in 1 inning throwing 25 pitches. 16 of the 25 were strikes. man the redsox really screwed this kid up. he belongs in the pen.

I'd love this team if I operated a nearby KFC.

I stopped watching MLB a long time ago and I don't miss it at all.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back