PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I would start watching soccer if Rex coached the Patriots. He embarrassed you guys last year. He was CRYING for heaven's sake. You ever see Belichick cry? Real tears from Rex. Then he was going off on missing the playoffs without even being able to count! The guy is a manic depressive: I can diagnose it from a mile away. And it's going to get your team nowhere.

Yeah, uh huh, he embarrassed us. Pats were embarrassed at home during the first round and were bounced, Jets made it to the AFC title game.

You have an interesting definition of "embarrassment."

As for Belichick not crying, are you serious? The guy can't even shake an opposing team coach's hand after a game, and is usually found running and ducking the media all the way to his mumbling and bumbling post game interview.

Last edited:
I bet guys would like to play for Ryan. He seems like fun and he's definitely a players coach. That doesn't make him a good coach and those "fun guys" usually don't make it in the NFL. Jerry Glanville was a fun guy to play for...Pete Carroll was a fun guy. The unemployment line is loaded with them. I'm not saying that Ryan can't coach, but that whole "players love him" thing is very overated imo.

I love the spinning in this thread from the Pat homers.

Are you so brainwashed that the only way to be successful is to run a CIA type operation, that the style that Rex has can't be successful?

The fact is, you have no clue if it will be successful or not, because there aren't many in the past to compare Rex to. We DO know Rex is a damn good coach, a great defensive coach, outstanding x's and o's coach on defense, and he has an impeccable track record in terms of motivating and getting his teams ready to play and play at an elite level, while getting the most out of his players. He knows talent, this is proven in the way he has taken street FA's and developed them into football players.

I can understand Rex comes off brash, but the truth is, he shoots from the hip, doesn't care what you or anybody thinks, and that is why players love playing for him, he's neither calculated or careful. I laugh how some of you spew about how such a style can't have long term success, how the hell would you know?

BB is a great coach, no questioning that, but maybe, just maybe, Ryan knows what he is doing, and the players love playing for him.

It's obvious the Pat fan base is a little concerned about their place at the top of the division, it's not hard to see why the Jets are their greatest threat, and half of the clowns in this thread spinning otherwise, know it.

It's OK to use your REAL handle here Ray Ray, everyone KNOWS it you, the greenest superhomer on the planet anyway...

Are you so brainwashed that the only way to be successful is to run a CIA type operation, that the style that Rex has can't be successful?
NFL HCs who act like attention seeking boobs dont have a good track record.

The fact is, you have no clue if it will be successful or not, because there aren't many in the past to compare Rex to. We DO know Rex is a damn good coach, a great defensive coach, outstanding x's and o's coach on defense, and he has an impeccable track record in terms of motivating and getting his teams ready to play and play at an elite level, while getting the most out of his players.
Where is this outstanding record? Please show me. As a DC for 4 years his teams averaged 8.5-7.5 records and he got his HC fired.
Youare ripping on BB and calling Ryans track record 'excellent'?
A hair better than average is the best you can rate his ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS, and even that is debatable. "Damn good" "great" "Outstanding" and "impreccable" may be what you are hoping for, but they certainly dont come from an objective look at his body of work.

He knows talent, this is proven in the way he has taken street FA's and developed them into football players.
Huh? When has he been responsible for signing players? Who are street FAs that he developed? You are really grasping now.

The real question here is if you have to invent stuff to make him sound better, how good can he be?

I can understand Rex comes off brash, but the truth is, he shoots from the hip, doesn't care what you or anybody thinks, and that is why players love playing for him, he's neither calculated or careful. I laugh how some of you spew about how such a style can't have long term success, how the hell would you know?

BB is a great coach, no questioning that, but maybe, just maybe, Ryan knows what he is doing, and the players love playing for him.
Players loved playing for Herman Edwards and Pete Carroll too. How'd that work out?

It's obvious the Pat fan base is a little concerned about their place at the top of the division, it's not hard to see why the Jets are their greatest threat, and half of the clowns in this thread spinning otherwise, know it.
Typical response of a fan base that overrates their team. Anyone who doesnt overrate them with you must just have an agemda.

NFL HCs who act like attention seeking boobs dont have a good track record.

Where is this outstanding record? Please show me. As a DC for 4 years his teams averaged 8.5-7.5 records and he got his HC fired.
Youare ripping on BB and calling Ryans track record 'excellent'?
A hair better than average is the best you can rate his ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS, and even that is debatable. "Damn good" "great" "Outstanding" and "impreccable" may be what you are hoping for, but they certainly dont come from an objective look at his body of work.

Huh? When has he been responsible for signing players? Who are street FAs that he developed? You are really grasping now.

The real question here is if you have to invent stuff to make him sound better, how good can he be?

Players loved playing for Herman Edwards and Pete Carroll too. How'd that work out?

Typical response of a fan base that overrates their team. Anyone who doesnt overrate them with you must just have an agemda.

Street FA's to name a couple, Bart Scott, Jarret Johnson, Jim Leonard.. Dany Devito, and Jamal Westerman with the Jets...

The Raven defenses lead by Ryan have perennially been a top 5 unit every year, and that is the best spin you can come up with? :eek:

You really think it was the Raven defense that was the problem? I couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact the Raven offenses have been abysmal, failed QB experiment after the other.

C'mon pal, you'll need to spin it a lot better than that.

Last edited:

The Raven defenses lead by Ryan have perennially been a top 5 unit every year, and that is the best spin you can come up with? :eek:

You really think it was the Raven defense that was the problem? I couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact the Raven offenses have been abysmal, failed QB experiment after the other.

You want to give Ryan credit for the success of Marvin Leiws and Mike Nolan as the Baltimore DC. Doesn't work that way.
With the adjectives you are throing around about him its had to believe they were 6-10 and 5-11 in 2 of his 4 years as DC. Those were their 2 worst years in the last 11.
There is absolutely no evidence that Ryan did any more than inherit and already good defense and do nothing to improve it. The facts are he was the worst DC ofthe Billick era. I'm sorry you dont like that but its the truth and his 22nd ranked scoring D got Bilick fired.

Street FA's to name a couple, Bart Scott, Jarret Johnson, Jim Leonard.. Dany Devito, and Jamal Westerman with the Jets...

10th and 22d in 2 of his 4 years as a DC blows that made up stat out of the water.
Why don't you wait and see if he wns anything before you associated 'great' and 'outstanding' and 'impeccabl' to him?
I know its important to him that everyone thinks he is great before he accomplishes anything, but its kind of demeaning to come here and knock a coach with 3 rings as HC and 2 as DC by calling a guy who has a long run of average results 'great'.

Not dismissing it, I'm calling out the fan that said Rex blew games because of it. His response was the Colt game when the starters were pulled late in the 3rd quarter of a close game, how is that poor clock management.

Next time, read.

I did. You said that all he could come up with was clock management, as if that was a minor issue.

Next time, know what you are talking about.

Typical Jets fan jerk.

Living in Texas, I hear a lot of "neutral" opinions on the Jets. Nobody denies the Jets talent level or potential. Most just feel that too much is being placed on those two playoff wins by the media and Jets fans.

Winning two road playoff games is nothing to sneeze at. It doesn't guarantee anything for this season though. Back in 2001, we were 5-5 at one point. We got hot and won the last 9 games on the way to being Super Bowl champs. On paper, we improved going into 2002. We then came out and blasted the Steelers in Week 1. Things looked wonderful at that point. But it was a struggle the rest of the way. Things didn't work out like they did the year before. The defense didn't play as strong. We struggled to a 9-7 finish and the Jets won the division on tie-breakers.

I think most fans are just a bit annoyed by the "it's in the bag" mentality from a team that didn't even win the division last season. Again, the Jets have talent, no doubt and they'll be a good football team. But they aren't Super Bowl champs yet and fans are sick of them pretending they already are.

Living in Texas, I hear a lot of "neutral" opinions on the Jets. Nobody denies the Jets talent level or potential. Most just feel that too much is being placed on those two playoff wins by the media and Jets fans.

Winning two road playoff games is nothing to sneeze at. It doesn't guarantee anything for this season though. Back in 2001, we were 5-5 at one point. We got hot and won the last 9 games on the way to being Super Bowl champs. On paper, we improved going into 2002. We then came out and blasted the Steelers in Week 1. Things looked wonderful at that point. But it was a struggle the rest of the way. Things didn't work out like they did the year before. The defense didn't play as strong. We struggled to a 9-7 finish and the Jets won the division on tie-breakers.

I think most fans are just a bit annoyed by the "it's in the bag" mentality from a team that didn't even win the division last season. Again, the Jets have talent, no doubt and they'll be a good football team. But they aren't Super Bowl champs yet and fans are sick of them pretending they already are.

Agreed. The Jets have this mentality of being like a great dynasty. Last season was the best one for them in a very long time as they actually made it into the post season. Of course it was because of the colts laying down in the end of the season, but it is what it is.

IMO, Ryan is placing to much pressure on the team and that will be their downfall.

"A CIA type operation" :rofl: that's awesome

The fact is, you have no clue if it will be successful or not, because there aren't many in the past to compare Rex to. We DO know Rex is a damn good coach, a great defensive coach, outstanding x's and o's coach on defense, and he has an impeccable track record in terms of motivating and getting his teams ready to play and play at an elite level, while getting the most out of his players. He knows talent, this is proven in the way he has taken street FA's and developed them into football players.

This entire post is incredibly funny. We heard it all a few years ago with Mangenius. And as far as us being "concerned" w/ RR and the JEST...you're the one that's posting on a Pats board. It's pretty obvious that you're young and just started following football, but there is a lesson in tempered expectations (that most life long Jets fans would understand). But hang in there anyway kiddo.

I laugh at these kind of responses. What Jet fans are saying "it's in the bag?'

What media is hyping this team? Certainly not the NY media, the NY media takes every opportunity to kill the team, then we have the select number of beat reporters with an agenda like Cimini, and several others, then you have the blowhard Francessca, a Giant fan, and a HUGE Jets hater, who btw the Jets have boycotted his WFAN show, he rips the Jets any chance he gets. Then you have hacks like Mike Floria who is also a Jets hating prick. So where is all this media attention coming from? Who's trying to "hand" the Super Bowl trophy to the Jets?

None of this is the mentality of the defeatest Jets fan, no sh*t every year is a new year. I think most of what you do see is a Jets fan base that is excited about the future, and rightly so, the team is young, stocked filled with talent, Tannenbaum seems to have hit a home run with a franchise QB, finally, the skill positions are loaded, he's made great trades in getting players like Edwards, and Holmes, the defense has a ton of talent, right now, the only challenge is getting Revis into camp.

Why shouldn't Jet fans be excited about a team that went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie HC, and a rookie QB? The experience the team gained in the playoffs is invaluable, invaluable to Ryan as a coach, to the coaching staff, and especially to Sanchez.

Of course we have to play the season, nothing is guaranteed, I just don't get all the hating that so many fans seem to have for the Jets.

I just think there are too many non-Jet fans that don't understand Ryan, his whole mantra is about putting his team and his players into an environment that believes, to play loose, and maximize their ability, it's a far different philosophy to that of the Belichicks and Parcells of the league, but it is refreshing. As a fan whose lived through both of those coaches, it's a complete 180, but I think I'm starting to understand Ryan, nobody can argue against Ryan's results, how so many players in the league who have played for him, or are now, speak so highly of him. Look no further than Jason Taylor, a player who probably once thought the Jets would be the last team he'd EVER play on, but because of Rex, he's bought in to his philosophy.

Ryan has his teams prepared, hungry, and flying on the field, he's also surrounded by a very good coaching staff lead by Pettine on defense, though Ryan is obviously very involved in the defense, Schottenheimer Jr on offense, and Westoff on ST's.

Lots of promise, no guarantees, should be a fun season.

It's pretty obvious that you're young and just started following football, but there is a lesson in tempered expectations (that most life long Jets fans would understand). But hang in there anyway kiddo.

LOL, save it clown, I've probably flushed more about football than you'll ever know.

What is it with some of you Pats fans, the elitist arrogance. It's like, because Belichick is the coach, with his background and success, some fans seem to think they are the know-it-alls of the league.

not as bad as you claiming the Jets have never really had a losing season in 40 years...it's always the but/ifs...that's your M.O. and everyone knows it...like the NY media hates the Jets thing...that's pure vintage Ray Ray 19 for like the past 15 years

LOL, save it clown, I've probably flushed more about football than you'll ever know.

What is it with some of you Pats fans, the elitist arrogance. It's like, because Belichick is the coach, with his background and success, some fans seem to think they are the know-it-alls of the league.

"LOL, save it clown"? Hit a nerve I guess. We get it kid, you're excited about your team so you signed up on a Patriots board. We see it every year with the Jet fans. Your boisterous enthusiam shows your naivete about football and your own coach. A few posts earlier you thought blowing games due to clock management was no big deal. How about the fact that he didn't even know if his team was eliminated from the playoffs...how about the Jets not even winning the division but saying the Week 2 win was their Super Bowl...how about Rexy crying like a schoolgirl...how about when he begged for the Colts not to play Manning but then was upset when people rightfully said they "backed into the playoffs". But that's cool - maybe you and your pals can have a JEST Pep Rally after Gym Class in a few weeks. Chin up kid. :)

I laugh at these kind of responses. What Jet fans are saying "it's in the bag?'

What media is hyping this team? Certainly not the NY media, the NY media takes every opportunity to kill the team, then we have the select number of beat reporters with an agenda like Cimini, and several others, then you have the blowhard Francessca, a Giant fan, and a HUGE Jets hater, who btw the Jets have boycotted his WFAN show, he rips the Jets any chance he gets. Then you have hacks like Mike Floria who is also a Jets hating prick. So where is all this media attention coming from? Who's trying to "hand" the Super Bowl trophy to the Jets?

None of this is the mentality of the defeatest Jets fan, no sh*t every year is a new year. I think most of what you do see is a Jets fan base that is excited about the future, and rightly so, the team is young, stocked filled with talent, Tannenbaum seems to have hit a home run with a franchise QB, finally, the skill positions are loaded, he's made great trades in getting players like Edwards, and Holmes, the defense has a ton of talent, right now, the only challenge is getting Revis into camp.

Why shouldn't Jet fans be excited about a team that went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie HC, and a rookie QB? The experience the team gained in the playoffs is invaluable, invaluable to Ryan as a coach, to the coaching staff, and especially to Sanchez.

Of course we have to play the season, nothing is guaranteed, I just don't get all the hating that so many fans seem to have for the Jets.

I just think there are too many non-Jet fans that don't understand Ryan, his whole mantra is about putting his team and his players into an environment that believes, to play loose, and maximize their ability, it's a far different philosophy to that of the Belichicks and Parcells of the league, but it is refreshing. As a fan whose lived through both of those coaches, it's a complete 180, but I think I'm starting to understand Ryan, nobody can argue against Ryan's results, how so many players in the league who have played for him, or are now, speak so highly of him. Look no further than Jason Taylor, a player who probably once thought the Jets would be the last team he'd EVER play on, but because of Rex, he's bought in to his philosophy.

Ryan has his teams prepared, hungry, and flying on the field, he's also surrounded by a very good coaching staff lead by Pettine on defense, though Ryan is obviously very involved in the defense, Schottenheimer Jr on offense, and Westoff on ST's.

Lots of promise, no guarantees, should be a fun season.

I don't have even the slightest problem with a team or coach showing confidence. I truly didn't understand the big deal last offseason when Ryan said he wasn't there to kiss Belichick's rings. But there does come a point that you just need to shut up and play football. You honestly don't believe there's even the smallest chance all the talk from Ryan and the players could come back to bite them?

By all means be excited about the team's future. They certainly have a lot of young talent and could potentially be a great team. But the word is potential.

The Patriots have finished at least tied for first in the AFC East nine straight seasons. But at times we do feel like the forgotten team because of the Ravens playoff loss and the Jets playoff run. And I don't think the national media has given much attention to the fact the Jets could have easily finished 8-8 and not made the playoffs.

I'll say it all day long. I don't have a problem with confidence and you should be excited about your team. But until your coach and players learn to keep quiet occasionally or until the media starts giving them a harder time for it, it's going to spill over to their fan base.

"LOL, save it clown"? Hit a nerve I guess. We get it kid, you're excited about your team so you signed up on a Patriots board. We see it every year with the Jet fans. Your boisterous enthusiam shows your naivete about football and your own coach. A few posts earlier you thought blowing games due to clock management was no big deal. How about the fact that he didn't even know if his team was eliminated from the playoffs...how about the Jets not even winning the division but saying the Week 2 win was their Super Bowl...how about Rexy crying like a schoolgirl...how about when he begged for the Colts not to play Manning but then was upset when people rightfully said they "backed into the playoffs". But that's cool - maybe you and your pals can have a JEST Pep Rally after Gym Class in a few weeks. Chin up kid. :)

heheheh, it is the arrogant elitist, yet, insecure Pat fan punk like you that gives Pats fans a bad name

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back