PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harbaugh to send tapes of NE game to NFL office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Harbaugh to send tapes of NE game to NFL office.

Why do I watch these plays in HD on ESPN, but these teams insist on sending the league VHS tapes? No wonder they can't get the rules right.

How do you know they are VHS tapes ???

Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said yesterday he planned to submit film to the NFL office

Film can be Hard drive , dvdR , BDR , Betacam HD , etc , etc,

00166_sony_large_digital-betacam_bct-d64l_64min_img_01_gall.jpg

wd_passport_essential.jpg

Its so funny how many teams have sent tapes to the NFL after playing NE and feeling like they were somehow cheated. I wonder how many times NE has done that when everyone could see that they were on the short end of calls (i.e. the divisional game against the Broncosthe and AFCCG against the Colts in different years).

The rule is the spot of the ball when the player touches out of bounds, no?

I don't think that's the rule.

I am almost positive that the rule is that the ball is spotted where it crosses the sideline. It's why most ball carriers switch to their inside hand when heading for the sidelines. Their body can go out, but not touch the ground and the ball's position as it crosses the sideline is the spot.

How many times have you seen a TD called when a runner jumps over the pylon in the front corner of the end zone and lands out of bounds? That's because the endzone extends past the out of bounds line and if he jumps at the one and lands out of bounds but beyond the white line of the endzone it is a TD.

The rule regarding the goal line is different from the rule regarding the sideline. If the ball crosses the goal line and the player is not "down", it's a touchdown. If the ball crosses the sideline, and the player is not "down", it's not out of bounds. :)

I don't think that's the rule.

I am almost positive that the rule is that the ball is spotted where it crosses the sideline. It's why most ball carriers switch to their inside hand when heading for the sidelines. Their body can go out, but not touch the ground and the ball's position as it crosses the sideline is the spot.

BB said on WEEI that it is where the ball is at when the player touches out of bounds. He seemed to think that the call was obviously a first down.

It wouldn't bother me if they were blatantly not fouls, but they were. It doesn't matter which way you look at it, you can't touch the quarterback's head and you can't dive at the knees.

Absolute sook. At the end of the day, despite Flacco playing excellently, the Patriots kept the Ravens in the game.

I agree, I just don't see how you can give the refs the responsibility to determine if that was a soft slap to the head and not deserving of a penalty versus a hard slap to the head in which case a penalty is called. But to be fair, they do it with holding calls, and pass interference. Thats got to be a tough job. The best you can hope for its that they are consistent with them. I think they were, even though Wright's roughing the passer seemed to get lost in all of this.

But cheers to Belichick scouting the refs, and warning his players about it. I wonder if the Ravens did the same...

Belichick once said most teams do this after most games.

BB said on WEEI that it is where the ball is at when the player touches out of bounds. He seemed to think that the call was obviously a first down.

If this is it then it was a first down. I replayed it in slow mo a dozen times. The ball was far beyond the first down when he went out. This sounds right as I have never seen a TD called back because the receiver held the ball outside of the endzone, its all about the feet.

After watching the "tape" on NFL Network last night, I hope that Harbaugh the Whiner sent in the section showing Ray Lewis slam Brady well after Brady had gone into a slide. Honestly, Brady was already on the ground and almost at a complete stop but no flag was thrown despite the infraction occurring just a few feet from a sideline ref. Boo hoo, Ravens, go cry in your sandbox...

BB said on WEEI that it is where the ball is at when the player touches out of bounds.

I think BB said that he thought it was called a first down. I didn't hear him explain it.

The NFL rulebook seems to agree with my interpretation.

From the NFL rulebook:

http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/2006%20NFL%20RULEBOOK.pdf said:
BB said on WEEI that it is where the ball is at when the player touches out of bounds.
Section 20

Article 3 The Inbounds Spot is a spot 70 feet 9 inches in from the sideline on the yard line passing through the spot where the ball or a runner is out of bounds between the goal lines.

Under certain conditions, the ball is dead in a side zone or has been placed there as the result of a penalty. See 7-3-7 and 7-5-1 to 6.

Note: Ordinarily the out-of-bounds spot is the spot where the ball crossed a sideline. However, if a ball, while still within a boundary line, is declared out of bounds because of touching anything that is out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is on the yard line through the spot of the ball at the instant of such touching.

On a side note, the reason I looked into this rule was because back in the 2005 playoff game against the Colts, Cory Dillon dove in for what looked like a touchdown. The ball was spotted at about the 1 foot yardline, even though Dillon touched the pylon. The refs ruled that the ball crossed the sideline at that point and therefore that's where it was spotted. I'll try to attach the picture I saved from where it happened. :)

Attachments

• photo12.jpg
    photo12.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 88

If this is it then it was a first down. I replayed it in slow mo a dozen times. The ball was far beyond the first down when he went out. This sounds right as I have never seen a TD called back because the receiver held the ball outside of the endzone, its all about the feet.

If the ball doesn't cross the plane of the goal line then it's not a touchdown. See Santonio Holmes last year.

This is ridiculous. Now he is crying to the league about it. The thing that amazes me is that week after week we see players and coaches crying about this and that, and its Brady, Belichick and the Pats who are the so called "cry babies". Look at week 1 vs. the Bills and the 2 extremely questionable roughing the passer calls made against Wilfork and Thomas. Did they cry about it. Did they compain to the refs. No. They dealt with it, sucked it up and won the game. And I am quite sure if one was to go over the tapes of the Bills and Jets game they would find a few questionable non roughing the passer calls against Brady, with the beating he took.

Ravens: Brady got preferential treatment - The Boston Globe

He's just setting up all the excuses for a loss and the players are buying into it. That's not what a champion does. Belichick wouldn't allows his players to use these excuses. What a joke.

Last edited:

I sure hope they look at 14:55 in the second when Lewis launched himself low at Brady after Brady already slide feet first.

Defenders will be doing this all season, that's why the O-line must do whatever it takes to keep Brady protected.

It's official, the Chargers, led by LT are know longer the big crybabies I thought they were. The new Crown goes to the Ravenettes of the NFL. Bunch of big whiney brats, including the head coach! Take it like men and swallow it up, and get prepared for their next opponent.

Defenders will be doing this all season, that's why the O-line must do whatever it takes to keep Brady protected.

It's official, the Chargers, led by LT are know longer the big crybabies I thought they were. The new Crown goes to the Ravenettes of the NFL. Bunch of big whiney brats, including the head coach! Take it like men and swallow it up, and get prepared for their next opponent.

The Ravens and Chargers have a lot in common. Both are extremely talented teams that lack the mental toughness and maturity to take their game to the next level. Both cry and whine and blame tough losses to more mentally tough opponents on bad breaks, poor refereeing, and other external circumstances instead of taking responsibility and looking at what they need to do to fix the problems. The Chargers looked like they were poised to become the dominant team in the AFC 3 years ago. Now they are a one-dimensional team that is a mess in a lot of places, with a window that is rapidly closing. The Ravens may suffer a similar fate if they don't grow up.

Hargbaugh is a ****y! There are calls that are very bad, and there are calls that could go either way. IF you whine, you maybe whine about the ones that are very bad.

When Suggs went low on Brady, I thought it was absolutely the right call. Ravens and their fans didn't think so. It was not a bad call, or a blown call. It was one that if it's made either way you say, O.K., I get that.

To say, like some have, that Brady avoided full contact, so it can't be called, is BS. Just because Brady was able to avoid full damage, so what? Suggs went after him low, and THAT, everbody could see.

Ref got it right. Harbaugh is a girl!

Hargbaugh is a ****y! There are calls that are very bad, and there are calls that could go either way. IF you whine, you maybe whine about the ones that are very bad.

When Suggs went low on Brady, I thought it was absolutely the right call. Ravens and their fans didn't think so. It was not a bad call, or a blown call. It was one that if it's made either way you say, O.K., I get that.

To say, like some have, that Brady avoided full contact, so it can't be called, is BS. Just because Brady was able to avoid full damage, so what? Suggs went after him low, and THAT, everbody could see.

Ref got it right. Harbaugh is a girl!

Concur,

Obviously Harbaugh's dad never taught that you need to stop digging a hole before it gets too deep to get out of.

He's also never understood the concept of "Leadership by Example".

Man is clueless. :cool:

Good for John Harbaugh (sp?)

He has every right to be upset with those calls. It was a terribly called game. Hope this only helps the case of rewording a ton of rules.

I fully expect the NFL to tell John that the calls were made correctly.

Perhaps they could send him an instructional video in "understanding roughing the passer fouls". ;)

I'll put this into my third different thread. :)

The rule is that the player holding the football gets forward progress of the ball until he either touches out of bounds or his body is completely out of the field of play (drawing imaginary lines straight up from out of bounds line) - except that the ball must be within the field of play to score a TD (rule change made a few years ago).

I still haven't figured out how they are supposed to spot the ball on those plays where these 2 methods conflict (i.e. when it would have been a TD based on the main rule but not based on "football must be in field of play" rule. I assume that the player is given credit for forward progress from where the football last left the field of play. (Note that it is possible to score a TD with the football outside the field of play when crossing the goal line and then coming back into the field of play e.g. a player jumping for the endzone with the football outside the pylon but then reaching back around to down it in the endzone.)

Bottom line: Clearly a first down.

The Ravens and Chargers have a lot in common. Both are extremely talented teams that lack the mental toughness and maturity to take their game to the next level. Both cry and whine and blame tough losses to more mentally tough opponents on bad breaks, poor refereeing, and other external circumstances instead of taking responsibility and looking at what they need to do to fix the problems. The Chargers looked like they were poised to become the dominant team in the AFC 3 years ago. Now they are a one-dimensional team that is a mess in a lot of places, with a window that is rapidly closing. The Ravens may suffer a similar fate if they don't grow up.

The Ravens are becoming the Raiders East. Let's call them the Raivens. Officials are human too. They hate being publicly admonished for calling a bad game every time the Raivens lose. The officials have locker rooms. For years the Raivens have been been supplying them with "locker room material". Maybe if they STFU the officials would eventually see them in a new light. The league office must be getting pretty annoyed too. Look where that got Al Davis. Now the Raivens are indirectly calling out the Rules Committee. DOH! Where has all of this whining and complaining ever gotten them? Nowhere. They still can't beat the Steelers when it counts. They still have never beaten the Pats.

"Doc, it hurts when I stick this fork in my eye!"
"Well then don't do it."
"I can't help it. Ray Ray is holding the fork!"

Harbaugh is increasingly getting to be as much of an as$hole as Rex Ryan

rex ryan maybe and A HOLE but at lest he's team has beat a good team this year and he's D only give up 14 points to the best O in the NFL

the ravens next 4 gams are

Bengals week 5

Vikings week 6

Broncos week 8

Bengals week 9

i can see the ravens losing 3 out of the 4 next gams that would make them a 500 team

the ravens will fall a part

the jets wont they will be a good team all season

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back