Welcome to PatsFans.com

Happy Independence Day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

The Declaration of Independence "stands, and must forever stand alone, a beacon on the summit of the mountain, to which all the inhabitants of the earth may turn their eyes for a genial and saving light, till time shall be lost in eternity, and this globe itself dissolve, nor leave a wreck behind. It stands forever, a light of admonition to the rulers of men; a light of salvation and redemption to the oppressed. So long as this planet shall be inhabited by human beings, so long as man shall be of social nature, so long as government shall be necessary to the great moral purposes of society, and so long as it shall be abused to the purposes of oppression, so long shall this declaration hold out to the sovereign and to the subject the extent and the boundaries of their respective rights and duties; founded in the laws of nature and of nature's God. Five and forty years have passed away since this Declaration was issued by our fathers; and here are we, fellow-citizens, assembled in the full enjoyment of its fruits, to bless the Author of our being for the bounties of his providence, in casting our lot in this favored land; to remember with effusions of gratitude the sages who put forth, and the heroes who bled for the establishment of this Declaration; and, by the communion of soul in the reperusal and hearing of this instrument, to renew the genuine Holy Alliance of its principles, to recognize them as eternal truths, and to pledge ourselves and bind our posterity to a faithful and undeviating adherence to them."

John Quincy Adams
    July 4, 1821

http://economicthinking.blogspot.com/2007/07/john-quincy-adams-july-4-speech.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Happy FREEDOM to you Patters and all my all pals in the POFO.

Here's a little something to GET YOU IN THE MOOD.

and........

Because I'm feeling festive and I wanna make everyone feel comfortable, Here's a little diddy for my FRIENDS ACROSS THE ASILE :eek:

:D just kidding.......... like each other or hate each other.... we're all from the same cloth, and that probably matters more then anything. Set aside our differences, at least for the day and remember..... United we stand, divided we fall (or something corny like that).

Peace

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 12 / -26

Just remember one thing,

When Freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free..

as much as I would like to take credit for this, have to give kudo's to one of my fave authors.. Tom Robbins.

4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

and when guns are outlawed then only the criminals will have them

July 4th makes one appreciate how difficult it is for democracy and independence to be established and how truly fragile it is and must be constantly maintained and evaluated.