PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy 10th Anniversary To The Tuck Rule Snow Bowl Game - January 20,2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
10 Years ago,January 20th 2002 was the Snow Bowl game and the controversial chain of events in that game led to the beginning of a dynasty.

Any Patriots fan has to include this game as one of the most exciting and improbable finishes to a game we may ever witness again.....it was one of a kind.

Hard to believe it's 10 Years Old,Happy Birthday! ;) :rocker:

The Snow Bowl 2001 14/15 - YouTube

Last edited:
How bout that kick?

There have been much worse rulings on the field over the past decade and still that get's the most attention from mediots as 1 of the worst.

I believe on NFLN's top 10 series it's the worst in playoff history, top 5 at least can't remember.

I didn't think it was such a bad call at the time looked like it could go either way.
The timing of it didn't help of course. I'm blinded by my bias.:confused:

Oh well we won Happy anniversary:singing:

Last edited:
I agree 100% it was a terrible call. The RIGHT call should have been a "unneccesarry roughness" call for Woodson hitting Brady on the helmet, so therefore a 15 yard penalty. Too bad not many fans remember that.

10 Years ago,January 20th 2002 was the Snow Bowl game and the controversial chain of events in that game led to the beginning of a dynasty.

Any Patriots fan has to include this game as one of the most exciting and improbable finishes to a game we may ever witness again.....it was one of a kind.

Hard to believe it's 10 Years Old,Happy Birthday! ;) :rocker:

The Snow Bowl 2001 14/15 - YouTube

When they decided to review it I yelled out..."wait they are going to review it we still have a chance!" Guy next to me says.."aw you're screwed." And I said "I know" Then after they changed the call I put both hands in the air looked up in the air and yelled "YES!!" :) Oh the memories. It was my second favorite Patriots game of all time, behind only SB 36.

Last edited:
At that stage of my life after all the dismal Patriot Years and two previous Super Bowl losses thought that we could never win. Also influencing my fatalistic view were the false dreams continually perpetuated by the Red Sox.

But after that I saw the light and went from a die hard fan to die hard believer...

I agree 100% it was a terrible call. The RIGHT call should have been a "unneccesarry roughness" call for Woodson hitting Brady on the helmet, so therefore a 15 yard penalty. Too bad not many fans remember that.

When play was first replayed seconds later on the Stadium jumbo screen, thousands of fans, instantly and at the same time cheered the fact that the hit on Brady appeared immediately after some sort of throwing motion by Brady. There is no question that the un-choreographed reaction by the crowd had to affect Uncle Walter's decision.

Last edited:
Snow Bowl

Happy anniversary every one.

I think I just read a stat that was amazing. Vinatieri was 1 for 5 in 40-49 yard filed goal attempts before that kick. Is that really correct?

Looking back at that game, I think maybe it was fortunate that it was 4th and 10. Given the conditions and everything at stake, if it was 4th and manageable from the 28 yard line, does Belichick kick or go for it?

I wonder if 2012 Bill would have managed that game any different. Kicking in that circumstance was a low probability proposition. Given what we know about Brady now that perhaps we didn't know then, does maybe letting him try to convert on 4th down make more sense?

Re: Snow Bowl

I may just have to break out 3 games to Glory an re-watch that game..

Re: Snow Bowl

Happy anniversary every one.

I think I just read a stat that was amazing. Vinatieri was 1 for 5 in 40-49 yard filed goal attempts before that kick. Is that really correct?

Looking back at that game, I think maybe it was fortunate that it was 4th and 10. Given the conditions and everything at stake, if it was 4th and manageable from the 28 yard line, does Belichick kick or go for it?

I wonder if 2012 Bill would have managed that game any different. Kicking in that circumstance was a low probability proposition. Given what we know about Brady now that perhaps we didn't know then, does maybe letting him try to convert on 4th down make more sense?

the Snow Bowl game is probably my favorite Patriot game . . . I know that AV's kick will live on as legend, but as for the difficultly given the conditions is was not as good as history will remember. Janokowski hit a FG from the same distance and end of the field in the 3rd and it split the uprights like it was a summer day . . . whereas AV FG was kind of a knuckle ball 30 feet off the ground . . . had Janokowski's kick floundered then I would be more impressed with AV knuckle ball . . .

great kick, great game, still one of my favorite moments in the history of the Pats . . .

Having watch that play eleventy hundred times over the years, I'm surprised that this has not been brought up.

Before Woodson hit the ball in Bradys hand, he hit Brady in the helmet. Even back then a helmet slap to the QB was 15 yards. So if the ref would have made the right call, there would have been no "tuck rule" call.

I still get a little choked up when Adam makes that 1st FG to put the game in OT.

Last edited:
I thought it was a forward pass. I still am not sure I understand the tuck rule, but if you're pump faking and the ball gets knocked out, it's an incomplete pass.

The play happened pretty much right in front of me (Section 111). I turned to my brother and said, "Brady's arm was going forward, they are going to overturn the call."

I can still remember the Stadium erupting when Walt Coleman turned on his microphone and said, "after further review the quarterbacks arm was going forward...."

A lot of people forget that after the play was overturned the Pats faced 3rd and long and were down by 3 points. They also forget the Raiders had a chance to end the game before that but they couldn't pick up a 1st down.

The thing that really ticks me off is fans of other teams saying that was the 1st time the tuck rule was called. The tuck rule went against the Pats earlier that year in a game against the Jets. You know, the game where Bledsoe was knocked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes