PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hampton - Steelers closing in on deal - Bianca are you looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
The Steelers are cheap. They don't pay their players. :D

Wow, I gotta think this helps the team's position with Wilfolk. Hampton is going to get the Franchise average over three years? This should help both sides get the deal done.

I think it is a good point of reference but they are at different points in their careers and one would think Wilfork is not going to take a 3 year deal at that money. I would say double the contract lenght and add some money to the guarentees and you might be there.

Reiss or Breer brought up a good point that if they are as close as Kraft said this likely wont change much but if there was a large difference this might hurt Wilforks stance.

3 years at $21M isn't bad at all for Hampton. That would be a great deal for Wilfork. Don't think he'd take it, but it would be good from the team perspective.

If the rumors of what the NEP had on the table for Vince heading into this period are remotely correct (3/29M/23 guaranteed) then this signing certainly should be a wakeup call.

Hampton is two years older but they have the same # of rings and Hampton has a few more pro bowls and a lot more sacks. He's getting half the guaranteed money and $2M less per for that age difference.

hampton is near 5 years older than wilfork.....hampton will be 33 by the time he plays his next football game

I know it doesn't matter to many of you homers, but I thought I would mention it anyway.....if age happens to matter, then you're talking 4/33-34M with 18-20M guaranteed or 5/42-44 with 22-24M guaranteed

Last edited:
If the rumors of what the NEP had on the table for Vince heading into this period are remotely correct (3/29M/23 guaranteed) then this signing certainly should be a wakeup call.

Hampton is two years older but they have the same # of rings and Hampton has a few more pro bowls and a lot more sacks. He's getting half the guaranteed money and $2M less per for that age difference.

Are you looking at the same Hampton? He's 4 years older than Vince and has 8 sacks in 9 years. Wilfork is the better player, is in the prime of his career, and obviously deserves more money.

Having said that, I didn't see any details of the deal. If only $11 mil is guaranteed, the 3rd year could be completely fake and it could be nothing more than a 2 year, $11 mil deal. Either way, I think Vince is worth about $35 mil over 4 years.

So many things wrong with this post....

I was taking a quick glance at when each started, but Vince came out as a Junior. But the correlation remains. Hampton was drafted in 2001 so he has 2 more years of NFL football on his body than Vince and he has been a perrenial pro bowler (5 trips in 9 years including 2009). Both are FA. Vince is being offered a lot more in guaranteed money, double if the reports are correct, and $2M+ more per year. That's a fine adjustment relative to Hampton's deal given his age and given he has two more years of wear on his tires. Vince could reasonably expect to get Hampton's deal again in 2013 when he is 32...if he earns it with a couple of more pro bowls in the interim.

I thought Hampton has 2 SB rings and Vince only has 1?

I thought Hampton has 2 SB rings and Vince only has 1?

He does. He was on IR during the 05 run. Perhaps there was the confusion.

Hampton's been signed/agreed to terms:

The anchor of the Steelers’ defense for the past decade will remain with the team for several years to come after Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton today agreed to terms on a three-year contract with the team. Financial terms of the deal, which runs through 2012, were not released.

Steelers agree to terms with Hampton

In related news that might interest those looking at the kicker position, the Steelers then slapped the franchise tag on Reed.

The Steelers announced today that unrestricted free agent kicker Jeff Reed has been designated as the team’s franchise player for the 2010 season.

Steelers Designate Reed Franchise Player

Last edited:
Who's better? I think Hampton w/o a doubt, but people here will say otherwise I predict :rolleyes:

If I were Kraft and I saw that deal go through, I'd immediately rescind the offer I have on the table for this guy.

Plus I don't like giving fat guarantees to guys who can get injured badly. Too risky.

Who's better? I think Hampton w/o a doubt, but people here will say otherwise I predict :rolleyes:.

Right now, Vince Wilkfork IS a better player than Casey Hampton. When comparing primes, you have an arguement. C'mon.

If I were Kraft and I saw that deal go through, I'd immediately rescind the offer I have on the table for this guy..

Nice way of doing business and negotiating...:rolleyes:

Plus I don't like giving fat guarantees to guys who can get injured badly. Too risky.

Skinny guys can get injured badly too. See Welker.

Last edited:
I'm sure though that this was less that Wilfork was hoping Hampton would get. If the rumours are true of what the pats are offering, then it seems pretty close in line to what Hampton got.

Hopefully VW doesn't expect anything above 9 mill a year, that's simply detrimental to the team.

Uh, yeah, don't mention the word credibility again Skippy.

hampton is a 32 year old. NT that was not going to get more then that from any one. what ever the 49ers give Aubrayo Franklin, will be more of what wilfork will want.

Are you looking at the same Hampton? He's 4 years older than Vince and has 8 sacks in 9 years. Wilfork is the better player, is in the prime of his career, and obviously deserves more money.

Having said that, I didn't see any details of the deal. If only $11 mil is guaranteed, the 3rd year could be completely fake and it could be nothing more than a 2 year, $11 mil deal. Either way, I think Vince is worth about $35 mil over 4 years.

Then the deal Mo mentioned would be better than that. It gives the player a short deal guaranteeing him another big contract (barring he stays healthy) in three years and giving him more money per year.

I hope that offer is a little high, I'm with you, I would like to see him get between 8-9 mil a year over 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing