PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Halfway point of the season - who is our best rookie so far?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do you think has been our best rookie so far?

• Ryan Allen

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Michael Buchanan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamie Collins

• Aaron Dobson

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • Duron Harmon

• Chris Jones

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • Logan Ryan

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Kenbrell Thompkins

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Joe Vellano

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked Thompkins because I have the obvious play against the Saints to reference. Outside of that I would have said Allen then Jones. Both have been excellent.

I believe the optimal answer to this question is "F!$&#@ you for making us choose."

But if I must actually choose, I will take Chris Jones.

Tough decision to make. I find that incredibly exciting that they have so much promising rookie talent.

My pick would have to be Ryan Allen. He's been the most consistent of all these rookies from week 1 until now (Chris Jones has only been around a few weeks even though he's been playing well). Allen looks like the best rookie punter I've seen in quite some time.

In terms of positional play, I think Allen is better at his position than the rest of the rookies. Field position is vital in the NFL, and Allen has done an outstanding job so far for a rookie, often times flipping the field completely. That alone shouldn't go unnoticed.
You know what, I honestly didn't even consider him because you always overlook the punter, I guess. However, he has been an absolute stud after a shaky first career game against Buffalo. He was the main reason that the Pats were even still in the game against Cincy. He was pinning them back, especially when it mattered most in that game. He should definitely get some love.

Chris Jones has been one of the best pass rushing DT's in the NFL so my vote goes to him

I'd have to split it Vellano/Jones. Tremendous task to replace two all pros. Vellano longer and steady, Jones more potential. A Punter's a punter. Great job but doesn't compare IMO. Logan for a few weeks. The receivers for hanging in there, but no consistency from either.

Yeah, man, Vellano and Jones have played very admirably for being thrust into the starting lineup. I'm so proud of both of them. Chris Jones will be considered in the ROY talks, I'm sure. I've seen enough to feel very confident in saying that. He's been far too consistent thus far for me to doubt him. He and Vellano are a bit undersized, however, and that will continue to hurt the Pats run D. However, I like them on passing downs to get after the QB. Spikes will have to continue to be our run stuffer on those gap blitzes.

Close between Chris Jones and Ryan Allen but I'll go with Jones because he was needed so badly.

Allen's been the best so far, by a country mile. Both tackles, the corner and the safety are being wildly overrated, and both Thompkins and Dobson have been erratic (as is to be expected from rookie WRs).

Right now, it's Chris Jones pretty easily.

In two years I think Dobson and Logan Ryan will be the best.

EDIT - forgot about Allen, but punters aren't like normal rookies. IMO they are close to fungible and if they don't produce immediately they should not be viewed as a long-term asset to be patient with like other positions.

Allen's been the best so far, by a country mile. Both tackles, the corner and the safety are being wildly overrated, and both Thompkins and Dobson have been erratic (as is to be expected from rookie WRs).

Curious to why you say that. I think they've both played pretty damn well. Wilfork, Kelly, Vellano, and Jones would have been something. We'd have been screwed had we lost Wilfork in previous seasons.

Wow, 4 of the 9 rookie contributors to the team weren't from the Patriots draft.

Curious to why you say that. I think they've both played pretty damn well. Wilfork, Kelly, Vellano, and Jones would have been something. We'd have been screwed had we lost Wilfork in previous seasons.

Others here will have a different take, obviously, but this team's best run stopping tackle is currently named Brandon Spikes. When it comes to 4-3 tackles, I don't get giddy over sacks if they can't hold up against the run. Failing at the most important part of your job isn't something I consider impressive.

Just my $.02

Allen's been the best so far, by a country mile. Both tackles, the corner and the safety are being "wildly" overrated, and both Thompkins and Dobson have been erratic (as is to be expected from rookie WRs).

I agree that the receivers have been erratic, but to call the DT's wildy overrated is a bit of hyperbole. They have definitely had their struggles against the run, and I don't think that will change too much as it's an issue of size and not skill/talent with them. They're just undersized, plain and simple. However, they have shown up and played big, especially in critical situations this season. Jones has 4.5 sacks in five games. Than cannot and should not be overlooked.

No disrespect to you, Deus, as I feel you have been so on point in almost all of your posts today. However, I fail to see why you think the DT's are "wildly" overrated. Even if you had said slightly, maybe I could see that . . . maybe. But "wildly" seems like a stretch to me.

I give it to my draft binkie logan but I strongly considered ryan allen. We have punted a lot and he has been pretty consistent.

I think Ryan Allen so far. We've seen contributions from quite a few other rookies, but Allen is the only guy to contribute to every game so far.

Vellano has been playing since Game 1 and has been pretty good. Interior defensive linemen are hard to notice unless you focus on them and know what you're talking about though (I don't).

Let's give some love to C. Jones. It would have easily been Logan Ryan had he played more this season. He has shown in the preseason and spot duty during the regular season that he is a playmaker. After those two, sadly, there's a huge drop off in rookie production for various reasons.

EDIT: Vellano has played well at times too.

What do you mean a large drop off in production? Dobson and KT are 2 of our top offensive producers this season in yards and TD's.

Allen has also been "producing" as a punter.

I don't know what your definition of productions is.

I will say this tho running game aside (where i can't comment as yet) C Jones's stats really jump out at you don't they. 4.5 sacks in 5 games with 27 tackles (don't know how many for loss). if that guy was picked in the 1st/2nd round he'd be getting a tonne of hype right now.

I suppose it depends on what we mean by "best rookie"?

If we mean the best at his position, then Allen seems like a reasonable answer.

I suspect that we mean the most impactful rookie so far OR the rookie with the most impact going forward. For me, the first is Chris Jones. As far as who is the best prospect for the most future impact at this point, that could also be Chris Jones, but Ryan seems like a better choice.

What do you mean a large drop off in production? Dobson and KT are 2 of our top offensive producers this season in yards and TD's.

Allen has also been "producing" as a punter.

I don't know what your definition of productions is.

I will say this tho running game aside (where i can't comment as yet) C Jones's stats really jump out at you don't they. 4.5 sacks in 5 games with 27 tackles (don't know how many for loss). if that guy was picked in the 1st/2nd round he'd be getting a tonne of hype right now.

I stand by my statements. Both receivers have been extremely erratic and KT was a non-factor today, which happens to players from time-to-time. However, they have not been consistent enough, in my view, to be seriously considered in talks of the best rookies midway on this team. They have dropped a lot more passes than pro receivers should, rookies or not.

C. Jones, on the other hand, has played admirably well and has not had as many problems. It's not an apples to apples comparison, as two are offensive skill players and the other is a defensive guy on the line. However, he has played better at his position than the receivers have played at theirs. That's not even debatable, IMHO. I like the rookie receivers and look for them to improve, but they haven't been the best rookies by far. Some of you are being prisoners of the moment because Dobson had a really good game today and KT caught the game-winner. But everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Allen for me with C Jones a close 2nd.

Jones has been a nice surprise..finally we have some inside pressure with the DT on passing downs.

Jones hasn't been with the team all season, and there's a serious run-defense blemish. But the former is balanced by the stats, and the latter by him being used sub-optimally due to injury emergencies (which of course also inflate his stats some).

I generally agree with the analysis above, and give a slight edge to Jones ... even though our punter has regrettably been more important so far this year than in most other seasons.

I stand by my statements. Both receivers have been extremely erratic and KT was a non-factor today, which happens to players from time-to-time. However, they have not been consistent enough, in my view, to be seriously considered in talks of the best rookies midway on this team. They have dropped a lot more passes than pro receivers should, rookies or not.

C. Jones, on the other hand, has played admirably well and has not had as many problems. It's not an apples to apples comparison, as two are offensive skill players and the other is a defensive guy on the line. However, he has played better at his position than the receivers have played at theirs. That's not even debatable, IMHO. I like the rookie receivers and look for them to improve, but they haven't been the best rookies by far. Some of you are being prisoners of the moment because Dobson had a really good game today and KT caught the game-winner. But everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Sorry for being one of those posts that gets into semantics.

But there's a big difference between being erratic and there being a "huge drop off in production". I don't know what you think the WR production should be, but 324 yds 2 TD's and 334 yds and 4 TD's seems like pretty good production. I would also add into that Allen who has definitely been producing at punter.

I understand you ranking other rookies higher my point was just that production isn't the issue it's consistency.

I mean if you are talking about consistency you should grade Jones in the run and pass game where he has been inconsistent Vs the run.

Once again, i am not saying Dobson/KT over Jones. I am just saying that the reasoning being lack of production is a bit harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes