PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Half time - game adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats_premi

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Since the departure of RC and Charlie Weiss, it appears as if Patriots are unable to counter the adjustements made by the opposing teams during half time. In most of the big games they lost, they had the lead going into half-time, but they were unable perform at the same level in the second half. I recall this was not the case during the Patriots Super Bowl years.

I don't know if it is due to lack experience on the coaching staff (OC/DC at the nfl level), different players or something else ??

Since the departure of RC and Charlie Weiss, it appears as if Patriots are unable to counter the adjustements made by the opposing teams during half time. In most of the big games they lost, they had the lead going into half-time, but they were unable perform at the same level in the second half. I recall this was not the case during the Patriots Super Bowl years.

I don't know if it is due to lack experience on the coaching staff (OC/DC at the nfl level), different players or something else ??

I don't think it's halftime adjustments. This coaching staff lacks some consistency. They go from pressure and shutting a team down to off coverage and on their heals. Same for the offense. Maybe this will be the final straw and now they will just keep their pedal to the medal all four quarters.....

I don't think it's halftime adjustments. This coaching staff lacks some consistency. They go from pressure and shutting a team down to off coverage and on their heals. Same for the offense. Maybe this will be the final straw and now they will just keep their pedal to the medal all four quarters.....

I disagree.

IMO, we go from pressure/shutting down in the first to off coverage/heels in the second primarily because other teams ARE making adjustments to counter what they saw in the first half.

Maybe that indicates that our coaching staff is amazingly consistent in calling the plays in the second half similar to what they did in the first. Is that possible? Hopefully the more knowledgable fans chip in.

In the first drive against Indy the Pats were driving down the field (went from their own 31 to the Colts' 33) only to get intercepted on an ill-advised throw by Brady into coverage in the endzone (although he has made similiar throws like that in the past to Moss). That was a great play by Bethea. The Pats intercepted Manning four plays later. The next drive was an 81 drive that ended on the Maroney fumble into the end zone. The Pats responded by forcing the Colts to punt after six plays. Brady throws a TD on the next drive (of a great punt return by Welker). Indy scored their first points of the second half 2:40 into the fourth quarter.

The only thing that stopped the Pats from scoring on their first two drives in the second half was a pick in the end zone on Brady and Maroney fumbling into the endzone. The Colts only drives in the 3rd quarter ended in an INT and a punt. How is that poor halftime adjustments? It looks more like poor execution on two plays that caused turnovers.

Even in the past, people unfairly criticized the Pats for lack of halftime adjustments.

The Pats didn't lose on Sunday night because of poor halftime adjustments. The Colts didn't score a single point in the third period. The Pats had no problem moving the ball in the third period and only didn't score because of turnovers which had nothing to do with any adjustments.

BTW, a few things:

The Pats are adjusting all game long. That is why you see Belichick working with the defense when the offense is on the field. Halftime adjustments are overrated because if you wait until halftime to make your adjustments, you are going to lose the game.

Also, the team you are playing is making adjustments too. Many times you can adjust and what you are adjusting to is something the opposing team adjusts out of because they are trying to adjust to beat you.

Lastly, the coaches can make all the adjustments in the world. The players still need to execute them. If it appears the Pats struggle with halftime adjustments, it may not be the coordinator's fault. They might have the right adjustments, but the players struggle to execute those adjustments.

although I have lived in fear of the second half of games for a couple of years now I don't think it was lack of adjustments that caused issues last weekend; it was the adjustments. it seemed like whenever the pats put points on the board in the second half they immediately changed the defense on the colts next possession and got shredded. I e-mailed someone during the game saying just that, why the @#$R#@! do they keep going into this garbage "prevent" looking defense every time they score???

I do agree that they seem slow to react to other teams halftime adjustments, and yes it's been that way for a few years now.

The only thing that stopped the Pats from scoring on their first two drives in the second half was a pick in the end zone on Brady and Maroney fumbling into the endzone. The Colts only drives in the 3rd quarter ended in an INT and a punt. How is that poor halftime adjustments? It looks more like poor execution on two plays that caused turnovers.

Even in the past, people unfairly criticized the Pats for lack of halftime adjustments.

The Pats didn't lose on Sunday night because of poor halftime adjustments. The Colts didn't score a single point in the third period. The Pats had no problem moving the ball in the third period and only didn't score because of turnovers which had nothing to do with any adjustments.

thanks! I missed that point.

But how about the fourth Q? it was aggravating to see how easily Manning scored against our D and though our O did run down the clock during one drive, Colts were able to stop us cold in the last two drives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye