PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hairston cut/Stallworth to Active/PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hairston Cut/Stallworth to PUP

We may be cross-communicating. The "natural" isn't an indication that cutting a draft pick is a preferred or normal route.

I do believe cutting a late round pick who is starting Training Camp on PUP, due to presumed injury, is a more "natural" choice then cutting a WR who 'can' practice, despite a presumed hopeless case behind more established talent.

We may speculate that Hairston stubbed his toe on the standards expected of a Patriot, but Keep It Simple Stupid is still my standard for deep thinking and I am willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt until given reason to change my mind. At this time all we have is a note that Casale put some bad mouth on him, I haven't seen the comment Pats1 references and I don't yet trust Casale's unsubstantiated reports.

For now, Hairston is still available to the Pats assuming he heals up and stays in shape.

IIRC, Casale made that comment on the last PFW in Progress. I'll have to check though.

(Not now though...sleep is good...:D)

Breer mentions in today's notes that if Hairston is not picked up, he could return and be placed on IR. Seems that his problem is a hamstrng.

Breer mentions in today's notes that if Hairston is not picked up, he could return and be placed on IR. Seems that his problem is a hamstrng.
This is what I don't understand. He could be put on IR without cutting him.

In fact, if it is only a hamstring, why not put him on reserve PUP right now. That does not take a roster spot, does it? So there is no problem keeping Dunlap and Jones, if they are so needed at camp.

Cutting then re-signing and putting him on IR just doesn't make sense.

This is what I don't understand. He could be put on IR without cutting him.

In fact, if it is only a hamstring, why not put him on reserve PUP right now. That does not take a roster spot, does it? So there is no problem keeping Dunlap and Jones, if they are so needed at camp.

Cutting then re-signing and putting him on IR just doesn't make sense.

It's procedural. It's essentially called being Waived/Injured. Happened to Michael McGrew two years ago. If you clear waivers, then you revert to the team's IR.

It's procedural. It's essentially called being Waived/Injured. Happened to Michael McGrew two years ago. If you clear waivers, then you revert to the team's IR.
And last year Gemera Williams...

No room? Even on the Practice Squad?

Yes, I was indeed one who was hoping that Hairston would contribute.

I believe that we have started each season with at least five running backs (sometimes with one on the PUP list). Of course, the backups needs to play Special Teams. As it is, we cannot afford a long-term injury to ANY of our four running backs. As was said in another post, each of the four have important roles. IMHO, we NEED a fifth running back on the 53, or at very least a running back or two on the Practice Squad. This position is much more important on the 54 than a six wide receiver on a team that has three receving TE's and require that all their running backs be receivers. We can always have a couple of receivers on speeddial or on the Practice Squad, as we have had in the past.

I would have drafted a running back in the 3rd. This would have been emergency help for this year, as well as a developmental player for the future. In any case, I am confident that we will be looking for cuts from other teams to fill this important need.

Consider last season. We went into the second half of the AFC game game with Evans as our running back!

Dangerously thin at RB? What team are you looking at. We pretty much already have our RB roster decided as it is. Maroney-Faulk-Morris-Evans. There isn't much room for another player to get in there. I feel pretty comfortable with it the way it is. Each player has his role. We aren't one of these teams that needs a Pro Bowl running back. As long as the running game at least compliments the passing game, then it will be fine. Maroney could give us more than that if he is as good as I think he will be.

Why not place Hairston on Reserve PUP? That way, his progress can be re-evaluated after Week 6, until Week 12. By releasing him now, or placing him on IR later, he has no chance whatsoever to contribute this year. It would be a waste of a draft pick, or a waste of a season for someone at a position that could use another young, healthy talent.

I'm strictly addressing your sig quote right now because it does resonate. I think It should resonate for every player and fan of the game. It should also resonate for every professional out there. For those who may be unfamiliar here's the quote:
Do. Your. Job. Don't try to take care of somebody else's responsibilities and all that. Just take care of your assignment. Know what it is, execute it and get it taken care of. Do your job...and you'll be champions tonight
I know some know what that's about. I also know some have problems executing what that's about. I know sometimes it's not that easy. Whether it's a team or an individual, it's rarely simple. The key is figuring it all out. Fully understanding what your job is and isn't is what it's all about. Understanding all of that and recognizing when you should take what some might perceive as a flyer is sometimes what it's all about.

Nuff' said.
icon12.gif

I learn something new (most) every day.

This is good news to me, because I like Hairston and IR is a good place to stash a rookie, but it brings up the question: Why? Why is a player cut before being put on IR. The Pats put people on IR most every tc, and they aren't cut before going on IR.

It's hard to think it's a money thing, because if someone claims him, we paid his sb of $55,000.

Consider last season. We went into the second half of the AFC game game with Evans as our running back!
We had the same issue with RB injuries in 2005. With a decent RB we could have at least been in the superbowl both years, facing weak Seattle and Chicago teams. I don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back