Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hagel suggests possible impeachment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 6, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Hagel Suggests Possibility Of Bush Impeachment: ‘He’s Not Accountable Anymore’

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/06/hagel-impeachment/

According to a new report in Esquire magazine, Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) has suggested that Congress may consider the impeachment of President Bush before his term ends:

The conversation beaches itself for a moment on that word — impeachment — spoken by a conservative Republican from a safe Senate seat in a reddish state. It’s barely even whispered among the serious set in Washington, and it rings like a gong in the middle of the sentence, even though it flowed quite naturally out of the conversation he was having about how everybody had abandoned their responsibility to the country, and now there was a war going bad because of it.

Hagel isn’t the only one frustrated. The desire for more accountability over Bush has led to increasing calls for impeachment from the Washington State legislature, the mayor of Salt Lake City, and town hall meetings in Vermont.

Rep. Jay Inslee (D-WA) said pushing for impeachment would be counterproductive because it would break off efforts to recruit conservative support for changing the course of the war in Iraq. “We’re trying to get [conservatives] to vote against the war. They’re coming around. You don’t hear them singing the virtues of George Bush like they used to. But nothing will turn this into a partisan lockdown faster than impeachment.” Inslee added, “Ending the war is what’s important now.”
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

aren't they a package deal? impeach them both... there's plenty to warrant it already... and if this U.S. Attorneys thing stays buoyant? oh my...
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

President Pelosi? :eek: I suppose it would be an improvement.....
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

There's nothing to impeach him for. I guess those that dislike him can have fun with it though.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, i guess that's a matter of profound subjectivity... curious as that may be...
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You got that right. [highlight] PROFOUND subjectivity[/highlight]. And most curious, indeed.

You could not find a better way to split the country right down the middle, and cause a rift of irreparable proportions if you were working out of some mad scientist's laboratory, should any impeachment efforts take substantial form.

But maybe that's what rings your bell.

//
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Impeachment can also take place after the term is over. This president needs to be dealt with for the sake of national pride. I don't want an aircraft carrier to be named after him. I agree that impeachment of a sitting president in this media age is next to impossible.

The impeachment should have taken place by the democrats during the 04 elections, but they achieved the impossible: failed miserably to field a decent candidate to beat this heinous administration that was taking on water and had no thrust at all.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The democrats cannot decide if they should stand up or sit down when they take a piss, how can they get their acts together to do much of anything except to keep aggravating people and fighting amongst themselves. Time for a 3rd party folks, this two party crap leaves us little choice, as bottom line they are all in bed with each other.
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wistah, bro, you need to get out of Massachusetts for a while. Go out to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or down south. See the country. Get a feel for how other citizens of this nation see this. Your views do not express how I feel about George's affect on "national pride", and I know I'm not alone by any means.

Something as extreme as impeachment is only a divisive weapon. It would only foster more resentment, more rancor, more anger between the two parties (who are actually brothers who cry out for reconciliation, as do Jews and Arabs, blacks and whites, east and west).

It is absolutely counter-productive in this situation, and would only serve to give encouragement to those who really do want to destroy the United States. Yes, they exist, and they will not like a Democrat country any more than a Republican one, as the incidents that took place during Clinton's watch testify: USS Cole, first WTC bombing, two US embassies destroyed in Africa, etc.

George made some miscalculations. He has been paying for them, especially since he lost both chambers of Congress. Retribution only breeds more retribution. As a great man once said: "Let the one who has not sinned cast the first stone."

//
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I couldn't disagree with you more. George hasn't paid for his "miscalculations", the military, the constitution, and the nation at large has...BIG TIME. He has enriched his crony buddies and so far, has been pretty effective at avoiding any and all responsibility for his bungling ways.

Now, should I get out more? I've lived in the deep south. Yeah, theres still support there. Theres also a completely defunct educational system throughout much of the south. They don't teach civics and they have little understanding of the meaning of the constitution; how government works.

Newsflash Fog, just because you claim to be a Christian, doesn't mean you aren't hiding behind a veil of piety for the sake of manipulating public opinion and then turning around and abosultely screwing the average Joe. That was Roves southern strategy and everyone has pretty much figured that out long ago.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Clinton Was Impeached
    :singing: :rocker: :singing:
  13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Really? When? How? This is the first Ive heard of this.
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I care more about the country than I do about any one individual. Geo Bush has not destroyed America, despite what you may want to believe.

Newsflash to you: there have been no re-occurances of 9/11 type attacks since Bush went into high gear. Furthermore, had Saddam stayed there is nothing to suggest that the ME would have become a calm, peaceful zone of love and plenty for all. The guy was a megalomaniac hell bent on establishing a new reign of Babylon in his lifetime. He saw himself as the reincarnation of Nebachudnezzar.

Have you checked recently about how much terrorism is taking place around the globe?? How many discos, restaurants, night-clubs -- all fave targets of the militant extremist Islamists -- have there been in the past several years?? Contrast that with the years between 1990 and 2003, something like one major attack per month, if not more.

How about Israel and her neighbors, starting with the Palestinians? How many suicide bombers are there these days? Not so many; very few, in fact. A substantial drop-off. Across the board there has been a [highlight]dramatic decrease in terrorist attacks around the world[/highlight].

So, your purely partisan dislike of the man is doing you and others no favors. The only thing this does is elevate the collective blood pressure of the world, something we do not need.

//
  15. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

As much as I hate George W. Bush, and anyone who reads this board knows how much that is, I don't believe impeachment is in the best interests of this country. Congress has enough power to block his agenda and wait him out of office.
  16. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

What would they impeach him for is what I want to know. The guy is so hated by so many, that they loose their ability to think rationally when his name comes up. The Dems won the majority in November by criticizing the president and the GOP, about what is going on with this country, namely in Iraq, yet all they've been able to do is pass a non-binding resolution akin to Hans Brix's UN letter in Team America.

[​IMG]

My point is, if they can't really do didly there, how are they going to round up support for an Impeachment?
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It has the power (as much as RW denies it), but I wonder if it has the will...
  18. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

What I said it couldn't do, was stop the surge. How'd that work out for ya? :rocker:

See, like the GOP, the Dems aren't even on the same page in their own party. They ran on nothing but minimum wage, and finger pointing. They won the majority, deservedly via default (the GOP was awful), but are now realizing that they can't put anything of merrit together. Why? Cuz now that they have the microphone, and the different party clicks are jockeying their agenda, no one is jumping on board for the ride. It's Coke or Pepsi. They both rot your teeth, and give you heart burn.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Like i said.... it had the power, just not the will... Sure, Bush can order the 50,000 personnel over there, if you wanna call that a victory.... But Congress most certainly could have cut their sustained financing and all but brought them right back home... We've been over this... ;)
  20. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

If it makes you feel better.
  21. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They could impeach him for anything they wanted. They could impeach him for defrauding the public with the Administration's justification for war. They could impeach him for leading a campaign to out Plame. They could impeach him for anything they like, but they won't.
  22. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and if they did, the enabling Senate would block it...
  23. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

With what case? That's like saying anyone could be arrested, but to be prosecuted you have to have a reason to be. I don't think that there is legal justification for anything mentioned above.
  24. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Impeachment is a quasi-political process, not a legal proceeding. The House brings articles of impeachment - for absolutely anything they deem to be a "high crime or misdermeanor", and if 2/3 of the Senate votes to convict, the President is removed (and optionally barred from holding future office, at the Senate's discresion). There is no requirement that the conduct violate a specific statute.
  25. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I say if the Dems go for impeachment, they lose BIG TIME in '08. Impeachment would wake up and mobilize the dazed middle class in a way reminiscent of 9/11.

//
  26. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Libby will be Pardoned by Bush just as Nixon was pardoned by Ford and just as several Dangerous Criminals were pardoned by The Clintons.

The trial of Scooter Libby wasn't to "Get Libby" the trial was to Sh!t on Bush & Cheney it was another "Get Bush" move.

Can you imagine those f-cking squealing scummy nasty sore losing democrat bastards being concerned or upset over "a liar" :singing:

If the Nasty Democrats are concerned with liars they should start looking into this Joe (James Bond) Wilson guy.
    :bricks:
  27. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

See...thats the problem, a politician is always thinking about the next election.....rather than doing what is right.

anyone syaing this will split the country is no recalling Monica Lewinski....it wasn't that long ago.

Here are your grounds for impeachment:
    Misleading us about the Threat from Iraq
    Illegal Wiretapping of American Citizens
    Torture of Prisoners
    Violation of International Law

Clinton got a hummer......and did some ill shizzle with a cigar....whats worse?
  28. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

I understand that, they can do it for ships and giggles if they truly wanted to, the problem is, there would be a politcal price to pay if it's not legitimate. To me, there is no legal case, or legitimate case to bring forth, other than discontent.
  29. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, you're probably going to hate me (even more?) for this but I don't see any of your citations as valid, at least not enough to make a case for impeachment of a president, certainly not one who has had to deal with the first attack on American soil in a very long time.

One thing that I see in W that many people seem to overlook is that he has acted from sincere conviction, not devious under-handed Oil-can Harryism. I simply do not believe Geo Bush is an evil man. A bumbler, yes; a phrase-mangler, most definitely; a kind of dorky guy some times, sure.

But, to me, a lot of those are endearing signs of his innocence, not reasons to hate, dislike or distrust him. I'm a lot more wary of the slick dudes who never make a mistake than I am of the bumbling idiot who never met a sentence who couldn't make unintelligible. You know, like Yogi Berra. :D

//
  30. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

First of all....FOG...I don't hate you. I respect you point of view, you bring a perspective...

Uhhhhh....1993 WTC Bombing? does that ring a bell?

Making torture legal? suspending habeas corpus? Invading a soverign nation.....killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis....yeah.....those are not evil.
    read his signing staments sometime....

You are not saying that since you think he is stupid we shoould be given a pass on his sh!tting on the constitution....surely you are not saying that.