PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Had they both been available, would you have picked Manziel or Garoppolo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not have taken Manziel, period. And that is not even taking into account his off field behavior. The running QB is just never going to make it in the NFL, at least not for more than a season or two. Especially one that is not that big! Watching that "game" the other night, I was convinced that RG3 was going to get himself killed! He isn't big enough to take that kind of beating. Manziel is not much bigger, and he has less talent than RG3 (plus by all accounts RG3 seems to be a "good guy" or at the very least smart enough not to get photographed rolling up a bill in a Vegas men's room, unlike "Johnny Football")

There is a story circulating that Jerry Jones' son actually had to pull the Manziel draft card out of his father's hands. Manziel will be another sorry footnote in the long and awful history of Cleveland Browns first round QB picks...

I was all for the Pats taking a developmental QB in the draft, JUST NOT AT PICK 62!!! If they would have taken Galapagos in say round 4, I would have been fine with it. It still seems like a waste of a high draft pick.

The choice of trading up in the first round to draft Manziel (like Cleveland did), versus drafting Garoppolo later is an easy decision - but that is not what Ray Clay is asking.

If both had been available at #62 and the Patriots chose Garoppolo (a small school QB) over Manziel (a Heisman Trophy winner from the SEC expected to go early in the first round), then the number of comments would have crashed the server here on draft day. Had that been the case then it would have been a very highly debated question still to this day, and for a very long time to come in the future.

The choice of trading up in the first round to draft Manziel (like Cleveland did), versus drafting Garoppolo later is an easy decision - but that is not what Ray Clay is asking.

If both had been available at #62 and the Patriots chose Garoppolo (a small school QB) over Manziel (a Heisman Trophy winner from the SEC expected to go early in the first round), then the number of comments would have crashed the server here on draft day. Had that been the case then it would have been a very highly debated question still to this day, and for a very long time to come in the future.

Or, more likely, someone would have made an offer to BB's liking, and would have traded up to #62 to get Manziel.

Then what does this have to do with Manziel? He flipped the bench off in a preseason game while playing in Cleveland. It's not like he's muled drugs (Law), beat up his girlfriend (Dillon), ran over a meter maid (Moss), or, you know, murdered a whole bunch of people (you know who). I just don't see how this is an argument against Manziel being an "anti-Patriot" when you're going to tell me all those guys who did much worse things were model Patriots.

Youre getting hung up on this having a right or wrong answer. A players past does not exclude them from ever being a good Patriot.

Its how you act while on the team.

Haynesworth was an anti-Patriot as was Moss and Dillon and Johnson ...until they put aside their egos and convinced Belichick they would walk the line and put the interests of the team before their own need to be free spirits.

I remember when JAG was drafted this place nearly went into meltdown. I'm not sure many would have wanted him drafted over Manziel. The only issue is people wouldn't want Johnny F***up either.

Let's not get revisionist saying that we would all have picked JAG and been happy with it. Although there is no doubt who looks the first rounder here. 62 looks a bloody steal and anyone who is saying categorically he won't make it is blatantly just more interested in their own original opinion being right, rather than the evidence of their eyes

I remember when JAG was drafted this place nearly went into meltdown. I'm not sure many would have wanted him drafted over Manziel. The only issue is people wouldn't want Johnny F***up either.

Let's not get revisionist saying that we would all have picked JAG and been happy with it. Although there is no doubt who looks the first rounder here. 62 looks a bloody steal and anyone who is saying categorically he won't make it is blatantly just more interested in their own original opinion being right, rather than the evidence of their eyes

You are falling into the very tempting trap of making sweeping generalizations about collective opinions.

There were many of us that liked the Garappolo pick just fine. :)

Same with Easley.

You are falling into the very tempting trap of making sweeping generalizations about collective opinions.

There were many of us that liked the Garappolo pick just fine. :)

Same with Easley.

OK, my bad....long day at work :(

OK, my bad....long day at work :(

Not at all.

There certainly were plenty of... vocal posters in full meltdown mode after we drafted a quarterback in the 2nd.

One vocal poster in meltdown mode just sounds a lot noisier than a hundred quietly contemplative posters. ;)

I think your analysis is faulty. It takes more than a QB to win a SB. You need a team. Even with a great Offense, teams don't win. Ditto for Defense only clubs. Was it surprising that a #3 Offense and a #30 Defense didn't win?

BB has been reconstructing a SB winner without sinking to a couple of 5-11 seasons, and you criticize because they only went 12-4?

There is something wrong with your analysis.
I know things are sunny out in AZ and the lack of daylight savings is a plus so all the people are happier but you think the Patriots **** roses, you never have anything negative to say about anything, your response to the Hernandez situation was probably something along the lines of “at least he has good aim”. Seriously most of what I just said was joking, I actually like what you throw down in here for the most part, but you could be a little more objective or at least not as defensive of the team. I was not criticizing them, I was making a point that it is very hard to win a Super Bowl and if we cannot do it with Tom Brady for a decade the likelihood that we will do it with Mallett or Garopollo is slim.

As far as rebuilding on the fly that is sort of exaggerated BS around here, we win because we have the best QB in the game, how many losing seasons has Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers had in their careers? Every NFL team has turnover, it is the nature of the game. I think Belichick has done a great job overall but I am conscious of the fact that P Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger the other QBs widely considered to be top 5 in the NFL have all won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years and Brady has not. There have been some questionable personnel moves, particularly in the 2008-2011.

That's a ridiculous assertion. I, for one, wouldn't have drafted Manziel in any round, because I think he'll be a bust. Given that why would I waste the pick?
Anyone who invested any time into scouting the NFL draft would have either taken Manziel or not taken a QB at all, NOBODY would have taken Garopollo over Manziel and anyone who says they would have including you is lying out their rear. I did not say you had to take Manziel, I just said you would not have taken Garopollo over him.

Probably would have crashed the worldwide web.

Anyone who invested any time into scouting the NFL draft would have either taken Manziel or not taken a QB at all, NOBODY would have taken Garopollo over Manziel and anyone who says they would have including you is lying out their rear. I did not say you had to take Manziel, I just said you would not have taken Garopollo over him.

Fortunately, I've seen enough of your idiotic obsessions to not take it personally.

FACT: I would not have drafted Manziel period, full stop. Why? Because he has bust written all over him. Another FACT: I am not the only one here who feels that way. I am not lying out my ass, rear or any other bodily office.

Conversely, I would have drafted JAG. I don't know if I would have had the balls to take him at 62, but he was on my list.

Ergo, since I wouldn't take Johnny Blockhead under any circumstances, that means I would take JAG over him.

This isn't rocket science. I liked JAG before the draft, I absolutely loathed Manziel.

Fortunately, I've seen enough of your idiotic obsessions to not take it personally.

FACT: I would not have drafted Manziel period, full stop. Why? Because he has bust written all over him. Another FACT: I am not the only one here who feels that way. I am not lying out my ass, rear or any other bodily office.

Conversely, I would have drafted JAG. I don't know if I would have had the balls to take him at 62, but he was on my list.

Ergo, since I wouldn't take Johnny Blockhead under any circumstances, that means I would take JAG over him.

This isn't rocket science. I liked JAG before the draft, I absolutely loathed Manziel.
First you don't have to be a ****. Second nothing I say is idiotic unfortunately many lack the capacity to understand it so I have to repeat myself and that appears to be an obsession. An example of that would be that if you would not have had the balls to take Garopollo at #62 you would not have taken him over Manziel because your answer would be neither. Even in an imaginary world Garopollo and Manziel were not going to be on the board together at pick #105.

Heard JG's name - but obvious I would have wanted Manziel. Seeing/knowing changes my opinion. I would have wanted neither on draft day. But now that time has passed, JG was the right choice.

Mallett was a "bad seed". No one has heard a peep from him since the draft. Maybe Manziel comes to NE and falls in line.... but something tells me he would have been a distraction.

I know things are sunny out in AZ and the lack of daylight savings is a plus so all the people are happier but you think the Patriots **** roses, you never have anything negative to say about anything, your response to the Hernandez situation was probably something along the lines of “at least he has good aim”. Seriously most of what I just said was joking, I actually like what you throw down in here for the most part, but you could be a little more objective or at least not as defensive of the team. I was not criticizing them, I was making a point that it is very hard to win a Super Bowl and if we cannot do it with Tom Brady for a decade the likelihood that we will do it with Mallett or Garopollo is slim.

As far as rebuilding on the fly that is sort of exaggerated BS around here, we win because we have the best QB in the game, how many losing seasons has Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers had in their careers? Every NFL team has turnover, it is the nature of the game. I think Belichick has done a great job overall but I am conscious of the fact that P Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger the other QBs widely considered to be top 5 in the NFL have all won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years and Brady has not. There have been some questionable personnel moves, particularly in the 2008-2011.

Both Manning and Rodgers have had a losing season. Brady has none. I'm sorry but when I lived in NE and I had Season Tickets for a decade and a half and ached for a mere .500 season. I know what losing is like, and I don't feel any apologies are due when the Pats rebuild, while going 12-4 or better.

Grow Up son. After the Pats 13 consecutive seasons of winning under Belichick, the next longest consecutive season winning streak is only four, 4, f-o-u-r, the number after 3 and before 5. You don't know what you have until its gone, I guess.

That's not true. I think a lot of people who invested a lot of time in scouting the draft, or even paying the slightest attention during the previous year, would have taken Manziel off the draft board because he's a drunk. I took him off my "draft board" the day he showed up drunk and got sent home from the Manning passing camp. A guy looking to be a 1st round pick doesn't blow off that kind of high visibility event. If he's $^%-faced for that, he's an alcoholic.

We can argue about second round, but Garappolo had been getting positive reviews from the knowledgeable scout types I was listening to pre-draft. I wasn't the least bit surprised when he was picked by the Pats. They had a glaring need and Garappolo was one of the QBs in the draft who fit the Pats' style.

I wasn't keen on drafting Manziel because like Tim Tebow, I have reservations regarding his game style in the NFL (I'm mindful that Doug Flutie had a meaningful career and could see Manziel doing something similar) and like Tim Tebow, I firmly believed that Manziel has issues reading a defense. It's all well and good to scramble and make plays in College but, IMO, he doesn't have the size of a Newton of RGME to absorb the punishment 280-300 pound DTs will bring. This doesn't mean I don't think Manziel can't succeed in the NFL because he can, it's more my personal preference for prototypical pocket passers.

As for Garoppolo, I'll admit, I was somewhat shocked the Patriots took him. Given the chatter leading into the draft, I was surprised he "slid" to the Patriots and was surprised when the Patriots didn't double dip on the Defensive Line with players such as Scott Chrichton, Louis Nix, Will Sutton and DaQuan Jones still available.

I didn't think the depth of college DLs was very great. So I wasn't surprised that they didn't take another DL, and I thought they still had Armistead.

The OLs were pretty good, but the ones I liked were snapped up early in the second round. Still Stork and Fleming, I thought would make a nice C and RG combination and it appeared to me that Belichick traded and positioned to take both of them. Halapio was a surprise to me, and apparently to Belichick too. I still suspect Fleming doesn't have the feet for tackle, but he can certainly move people when he drive blocks. Drive blocking Right Guard beckons.

That's not true. I think a lot of people who invested a lot of time in scouting the draft, or even paying the slightest attention during the previous year, would have taken Manziel off the draft board because he's a drunk. I took him off my "draft board" the day he showed up drunk and got sent home from the Manning passing camp. A guy looking to be a 1st round pick doesn't blow off that kind of high visibility event. If he's $^%-faced for that, he's an alcoholic.

We can argue about second round, but Garappolo had been getting positive reviews from the knowledgeable scout types I was listening to pre-draft. I wasn't the least bit surprised when he was picked by the Pats. They had a glaring need and Garappolo was one of the QBs in the draft who fit the Pats' style.
I would not have drafted Manziel or Garopollo, and what you said makes no difference because if they were both on the board you would have either taken Manziel or not taken a QB. You are side stepping the actual question, focusing on the fact that people had positive things to say about Garopollo, which I do not dispute, but that is not the OP question. The question is would you have drafted Garopollo if you had the choice to draft Manziel or not draft either. I think that anyone would have either drafted Manziel or not drafted a QB. I do not believe anyone who claims they would have drafted Garopollo.

As far as a glaring need, I would love for you to explain that to me, we have the best QB in the game, and Ryan Mallett who is a capable backup, a glaring need is the an absurd assertion to make regarding the Patriots QB situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes