PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Had they both been available, would you have picked Manziel or Garoppolo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he had the choice of Easley or Carr and chose Easley. Garopollo went almost a full round after Carr.

Quibbles. Choosing a most important position, QB, and a potential Brady successor, you don't quibble over a few positions in the same round. BB used up a third to get trade position in the 4th for Stork and Fleming. He could certainly have used it to trade up for Manziel; or used it trade up for Carr after taking Easley.

BB knew what he was doing, and chose who he wanted through round 4.

I have no idea how Fiedorowicz has been in pre-season or camp so I had a look at a couple of Texans forums. They're very bullish about him, some commenters even going so far as to suggest he should be their no1 guy. I still don't understand the grief Fiedorowicz gets. He's a very solid TE prospect who probably won't set the world alight but will stick on an NFL team for a long time.
He would have improved the Mulligan role as blocking TE allowing them to move Gronkowski around. He would have been a solid pick at #62.

Huh? Stork is not back first off, second just being able to play more games in a season does not make a player easily a better choice.

August 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Bryan Stork, Michael Hoomanawanui return to practice
by R.J. White | CBSSports.com
Patriots tight end Michael Hoomanawanui and rookie center Bryan Stork returned to practice Monday, ESPN.com reports. Both players had been sidelined since late July due to undisclosed injuries.

Nope, but I remember reading it quite clearly. It might have been mentioned in his chats as well. I wouldn't really know how to try finding it now. He mentioned two tight ends...the other might have been Amaro, and said his sense was that the Pats wouldn't have touched either of them.'

As for being a jag, it's possible he might surprise me. My opinion is based on looking at some tape of him and the scouting reports. But hell, I thought Stephen Hill was going to be a good NFL WR.

I remember the opinion, too.

Just an additional thought, the reason it stuck in my mind at the time was because it was an about face for Reiss. He's been bullish on Fiedorowicz up until he suddenly starting hearing this stuff.

I did manage to find this quote from him:

"Underrated storyline. As much as I think the Patriots would like to bolster the tight end spot, the options aren't plentiful. For all the talk about Notre Dame's Troy Niklas and Iowa's C.J. Fiedorowicz as possible solid fits, I started to have some second thoughts with both of them as more intel came in late in the process."

Niklas was the other one, not Amaro.

Quibbles. Choosing a most important position, QB, and a potential Brady successor, you don't quibble over a few positions in the same round. BB used up a third to get trade position in the 4th for Stork and Fleming. He could certainly have used it to trade up for Manziel; or used it trade up for Carr after taking Easley.

BB knew what he was doing, and chose who he wanted through round 4.

First Garopollo is a backup QB just like Mallett was there is nothing to indicate he is the heir apparent to Brady. He will be a UFA in 2017 when Brady's contract is set to end. Second we owned the #140 pick that we used for Fleming that was not traded to us. We got Stork and Halapio for the #93 pick. How's that trade looking so far for us?

there's nothing their that says he bombed the visit. The extra intel might just be that the Pats weren't drafting a TE because they didn't see the value in doing so in a McDaniels spread offense.

That really depends, there is a chance in my opinion that Garopollo follows the same path as Ryan Mallett and spends 3-4 years (trade of UFA) behind Brady barely taking a snap before moving on to another team for a chance to start. I expect Brady to restructure his contract after this season and sign through 2020, which will give him 20 NFL seasons. That is just a personal prediction with nothing to support it but I would not expect the team to give Garopollo a second contract if that did come to fruition.

I really don't want to see a 42 or 43 year old TB limping around out there a shell of his former self a la Favre.

there's nothing their that says he bombed the visit. The extra intel might just be that the Pats weren't drafting a TE because they didn't see the value in doing so in a McDaniels spread offense.

No, that was something he said during one of his chats, that the interviews with both those guys didn't go well. It was always very vague though, and his chats don't seem amenable to google so... But he did say that his 'sense' was that they weren't interested in either guy.

I really don't want to see a 42 or 43 year old TB limping around out there a shell of his former self a la Favre.
Favre was a drunk addicted to pain killers. Brady takes care of himself and trains as we as anyone who has ever played the game.

First Garopollo is a backup QB just like Mallett was there is nothing to indicate he is the heir apparent to Brady. He will be a UFA in 2017 when Brady's contract is set to end. Second we owned the #140 pick that we used for Fleming that was not traded to us. We got Stork and Halapio for the #93 pick. How's that trade looking so far for us?

You are correct Polo may just be the candidate to replace Mallett at Backup QB, next year. But I think the Pats braintrust is hoping for more.

Still it's looking good. They got both Stork, Fleming and also Halapio, who needs a season of grooming, but is a strong, mauler RG candidate and they can afford to groom Fleming as both a RT and RG.

Many didn't think he had the feet for a tackle, and Fleming is practicing at both positions.

Favre was a drunk addicted to pain killers. Brady takes care of himself and trains as we as anyone who has ever played the game.

Elway is the only QB in NFL history to win a SB over the age of 37. He was 38 at the time.

Elway is the only QB in NFL history to win a SB over the age of 37. He was 38 at the time.
Historically speaking, most QBs used to be totally broken down by their mid to late 30's. For all the criticisms ignorant people have about putting dresses on the QB's, we are seeing their careers lasting longer than the old days. As much as we all hate Peyton Manning, you have to give the devil his due: He had probably the greatest regular season of all time at age 37. Dan Marino and Joe Montana each had one of their worst years of their careers at that same age.

Historically speaking, most QBs used to be totally broken down by their mid to late 30's. For all the criticisms ignorant people have about putting dresses on the QB's, we are seeing their careers lasting longer than the old days. As much as we all hate Peyton Manning, you have to give the devil his due: He had probably the greatest regular season of all time at age 37. Dan Marino and Joe Montana each had one of their worst years of their careers at that same age.

Do you honestly see Manning lasting another 4-5 years? He's constantly one hit away from The End. For all we ***** about putting dresses on them, they /do/ still get hit, and hit by 250-350 lb guys moving at high rates of speed. Plus, there's the cumulative effect of years of hits catching up.

Do you honestly see Manning lasting another 4-5 years?
If Brett Favre can play into his 40's, so can Manning and Brady.
He's constantly one hit away from The End.
Every single player in the NFL is just one hit away from The End.
For all we ***** about putting dresses on them, they /do/ still get hit, and hit by 250-350 lb guys moving at high rates of speed. Plus, there's the cumulative effect of years of hits catching up.
The guy is coming off the best regular season of his career which happened to come 2 years after missing an entire season to injury. He has had arguably the 2 best years of his career at ages 36 and 37. There's just no evidence to support your assertion of the cumulative effect of years piling up. I just don't see him hitting a brick wall like you think he will.

I expect the same from Brady.

If Brett Favre can play into his 40's, so can Manning and Brady.
Every single player in the NFL is just one hit away from The End.
The guy is coming off the best regular season of his career which happened to come 2 years after missing an entire season to injury. He has had arguably the 2 best years of his career at ages 36 and 37. There's just no evidence to support your assertion of the cumulative effect of years piling up. I just don't see him hitting a brick wall like you think he will.

I expect the same from Brady.

Other than his arm strength being a shadow of what it once was you mean?

You are correct Polo may just be the candidate to replace Mallett at Backup QB, next year. But I think the Pats braintrust is hoping for more.

Still it's looking good. They got both Stork, Fleming and also Halapio, who needs a season of grooming, but is a strong, mauler RG candidate and they can afford to groom Fleming as both a RT and RG.

Many didn't think he had the feet for a tackle, and Fleming is practicing at both positions.

The Patriots owned the #29, #62, #93, #130, #140, #198, #206, and #244 picks entering the 2014 NFL draft. This is how the draft played out:

#29 – Easley
#62 – Garopollo
#93 – Traded to Jacksonville for picks #105 and #179
#105 (from Jacksonville) – Stork
#130 – White
#140 – Fleming
#179 (from Jacksonville) – Halapio
#198 – Moore
#206 – Thomas
#244 – Gallon

We owned #140; it had NOTHING to do with the trade so Fleming’s performance does not have anything to do with assessing the trade. Bryan Stork and Jon Halapio who have shown nothing are the fruits of that trade, so how you think it is looking good is beyond my scope of reality.

Other than his arm strength being a shadow of what it once was you mean?
Yeah, he really had a horrible seasons over the past few years. Probably will get cut. :rolleyes:

Guess what? There are QBs who rely on more than just pure arm strength.

Or that the TE class was weak and Belichick decided to go a different route

People always seem to forget that there are 4 ways to gain needed players

Free Agency
The Draft
Trades
Other teams' cuts

Some fans act like if action isn't taken in free agency, or the draft, then it's all over

We are in the midst of the latter two opportunities as we speak

As for the question at hand, aside from Belichick, was there really ANYONE who had Garoppolo rated higher than Manziel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back