PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ha ha Pennington wanted Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From all indications, the Jets didn't actively pursue Randy Moss when he was on the trading block. But there was at least one conversation about him behind closed doors at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

Chad Pennington did the talking. He provided his two cents, giving GM Mike Tannenbaum an upbeat endorsement of the problem-child wide receiver. The Jets' quarterback said he "talked to Mike about some of the positive attributes about Randy," a friend and former college teammate at Marshall.

"(The front office) asked about him a little bit," Pennington said last night after appearing on the YES Network's "CenterStage" in Manhattan. "I've always been a fan of Randy. I always felt like, in the right situation, he's going to excel and help your team win. He's just a phenomenal player. Professionally, he's made great strides off the field, too."

Moss, disgruntled in Oakland, wound up being traded last weekend to New England for a fourth-round draft pick. Asked on the air if he wished the Jets had made a play for Moss, Pennington said, "You always want your team to be able to take a chance on a guy like that because he's a game-breaker."

Afterward, he elaborated, sounding like he definitely wanted the Jets to pursue Moss.

I doubt Moss would want to play for a QB who can barely through it past 20 yards.

Yeah that would be a complete waste of Moss' strengths....

agreed, it's still funny though.......

Well Pennington can only throw 20 yards at the max so he needs a guy who can get some good yards after catch.

Moss and Pennington would not be a good match

I'm sure every starting quarterback in the league would have wanted Randy Moss with the exception of Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, and Donovan McNabb (the latter two would be fearful of TO part II)

Once he wins 3 superbowls he can have Moss.

Maybe that's because Moss is the reason that Pennington was a first round pick and landed a $60 million contract.

Last edited:
Maybe that's because Moss is the reason that Pennington was a first round pick and landed a $60 million contract.
Agree. He has to have a soft spot for Moss. remember Brady pushed BB to pick up David Terrell. The difference, I guess, is that BB gave Brady Terrell. He didn't work out, but BB threw his QB a bone. This year, BB threw Brady a whole side of beef. He must be excited about going on the field now.

Agree. He has to have a soft spot for Moss. remember Brady pushed BB to pick up David Terrell. The difference, I guess, is that BB gave Brady Terrell. He didn't work out, but BB threw his QB a bone. This year, BB threw Brady a whole side of beef. He must be excited about going on the field now.

In all fairness to those fine folks in Hempstead, the cost of bringing in Terrell compared to bringing in Moss is like piloting a lear jet and getting thrown out of a thirtieth floor window.

It's hard to draw conclusions like BB was willing to listen to his QB and the Jets weren't.

BINGO, I think I hear BINGO...

In all fairness to those fine folks in Hempstead, the cost of bringing in Terrell compared to bringing in Moss is like piloting a lear jet and getting thrown out of a thirtieth floor window.
piloting a lear jet and getting thrown out of a thirtieth floor window? WTH does that mean?

A late fourth down pick is all it cost. We're talking Dexter Reid or Joe Klecko here. Are you saying that Moss's $3 mil is guaranteed? I wasn't aware of that. That would change things. If the money isn't guaranteed, as I believed, then they could cut Moss as quickly as we cut Terrell, and the only difference in cost is a fourth round pick.

It's hard to draw conclusions like BB was willing to listen to his QB and the Jets weren't.
Never said that. Both organizations listened to their QBs. I said they answered diferently.

BB said yes, Jets said no.

For whatever reason, that is what they did. Those are facts. Interpretation of the facts is up to individuals, why who did what, but the bottom line conclusion is that the Patriots said yes to Brady and the Jets said no to Pennington.

piloting a lear jet and getting thrown out of a thirtieth floor window? WTH does that mean?

A late fourth down pick is all it cost. We're talking Dexter Reid or Joe Klecko here. Are you saying that Moss's $3 mil is guaranteed? I wasn't aware of that. That would change things. If the money isn't guaranteed, as I believed, then they could cut Moss as quickly as we cut Terrell, and the only difference in cost is a fourth round pick.

Never said that. Both organizations listened to their QBs. I said they answered diferently.

BB said yes, Jets said no.

For whatever reason, that is what they did. Those are facts. Interpretation of the facts is up to individuals, why who did what, but the bottom line conclusion is that the Patriots said yes to Brady and the Jets said no to Pennington.

I think his point was both clearer and different from that. Although still a tremendous bargain, Moss was still more expensive than Terrell, but also far more complicated (with the restructuring, the negotiations, etc). Noone wanted David Terrell: he was just brought in on a flyer.

Therefore, it really was not a big deal or risk for NE to take a chance on Terrell, whether they were doing a favor for Brady or not.

Bringing Moss in for Pennington was just not as easy to do. It's not like he had been cut (yet). But if there is another former Marshall receiver who is close to unemployment this summer, I suspect the Jets might bring him in for camp if CP asked.

Last edited:
Jokes, as legitimite as they may be, about ****ington's arm aside . . . I'm glad The Jest didn't get Moss for a 4th round pick instead of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes