Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ha Ha, Fuel Efficiency bites now doesn't it

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

AP Interview: Transportation secretary says taxing how much we drive may replace gasoline tax -- Newsday.com

Poor Democrats. They want nothing more than fuel efficiency but when it affects their "income" they don't like it so much. Barry's guy wants to have a mileage tax not a gas tax because of fuel efficiency.

"Among the reasons for the gap is a switch to more fuel-efficient cars and a decrease in driving that many transportation experts believe is related to the economic downturn. Electric cars and alternative-fuel vehicles that don't use gasoline are expected to start penetrating the market in greater numbers."

Here's a hint, Barry - if you want to encourage fuel efficient cars, don't f*ck people over who get them by changing the rules of taxes. You want fuel efficiency, you're getting it - now suck it up and deal with the consequences.

I can't want to see how they deal with the unintended consequence of an even more shrinking economy when they pile on more carbon emissions regulations.
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They'll also be able to track where, when and how fast you drive. Lovely!

What's next, a small computer chip in the hand or forehead - To protect us all from identity theft?
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

I wonder how this will affect the health index.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Imagine if Bush/Cheney were trying to do that. If this were implemented you KNOW these trackers would end up in courts to prove where someone was. Not that I have anything against proof against criminals but Barry's crew is taking big government and making it big government on steroids.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

ughhhhhhhhh

tax the mileage? when gas is used to move the car, and already taxed? So this fool wants to retrofit cars, and monitor them.....instead of taxing the pump?

I'm sure this will get real far....If this happens, I'm on board with the people pi$$in and moaning.

also, JUMPY-McJUMPupanddownwithJOYsters...

it says he is THINKING about LOOKING into this. NOt that its happening, so quit jumping to conclusions about some master plan and some BS.

"What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America," he said.

at least these people are thinking. Cheney's closed door energy policy worked real well ... for Exxon, and other big oils. You all cried drill baby drill, and said the windfall profits were the american way.

you right wingers are hypocrites when it comes to checking a president on spending and shady ***** $h!t.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Totally ridiculous proposal. However, the transportation secretary is a former Illinois Republican lawmaker. Obama's press secretary shot down the idea.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

Mo money, mo money, mo money....
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So electric cars don't contribute to the wear and tear on the roads and if we all switch to electric cars our roads will stay perfect forever?

The federal gas tax is used to pay for the federal highway system, which all vehicles use and wear out. Its stupid to think that electric cars shouldn't be expected to shoulder some portion of the burden.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Good to see the Obama administration has it's act together. Obama has to shoot down something presented by his energy secretary.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Imagine your reaction if the Bush administration wanted to put GPS trackers in all cars.
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'd prefer one that only tracked total distance over an extended period of time. Just like I'm against the Fastlane program even though it was implemented here in Democratically-controlled Massachusetts. I'd really prefer that the 'tax' be connected to where the vehicle recharges though, and it wouldn't matter who proposed it.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

There's a million ways to get roads their money - I just thought it was amusing that Liberals are scrambling to get their precious tax dollars that they're losing due to their own fuel efficiency programs.

If Obama would move on getting us off foreign oil there would be an abundance of $$$ for roads. But with $1T already spent I have a feeling we won't be seeing a full force effort on this.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +447 / 6 / -9

Gotcha BF...The title of this thread is really weird unless intended to be ironic.

What we're noting is that gas tax revenues go away if we sell less gas. That's pretty much a no-brainer. It's one of a number inputs into budgets that have tanked.

Driving energy policy by the revenues derived is bass-ackward, although there is a simple solution, given that gas prices are still down (if rising.) We can hasten any conversion and meanwhile make up some of the shortfall by slapping another 50 cents onto the gas tax right now.

At the pump, that may or may not deflate demand... It seems that people already got used to a new psychology when it was up around 4 bucks, and just stopped driving for entertainment nearly as much. So demand may be inelastic. Of course, people are already feeling all kinds of other economic pain, and so would be pi$$ed at such a measure (which is 1 good reason it won't happen.)

It would, however, act as another incentive to go away from an oil economy and toward alternatives.

PFnV
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  14. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just to be clear here...this idea was presented by a republican (presumably a conservative). Why do you keep talking about liberals and democrats?
  15. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh no you didn't! Did you just offer support of a higher gas tax? Stand ready to be derided.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +447 / 6 / -9

Hey if John Anderson could say it, I can say it ;)
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I wasn't even talking about the proposal itself, I was just laughing at the fact that Liberals who love to get into our lives with fuel economy, making cars more expensive and making it hard for car companies to make money, are now getting bitten by it.