Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gwyneth Paltrow:"British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 2, 2006.

1. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We've already been over their news bias elsewhere on this website. But can you complain much seeing as they also have a state-sponsored relgion (Church of England)? At least they have balance in hteir government institutions. My argument wasn't that 5 channels make you smarter, I'm saying their programming is not the drivel you get in this country. It's socially beneficial in most cases, TV shows about DIY home improvement, cooking shows, first class world news, children's programming, documentaries, sports, the odd soap opera, and none of it interrupted by product placement. PBS is decent but can't even compare. Neither can NBC, ABC, or CBS, they are too busy chasing advertising dollars and giving us too many helpings of their shows (Friends was about 6 seasons too long, the Simpsons should have been taken out to pasture 10 years ago, etc...) If you were a child raised on BBC programming you would be all the better for it. Or Canadian Broadcasting which is very similar in content and format.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Hate to quote Mike Tyson here, but if you don't like it "turn off your station".

Anyhow, 5 channels doesn't make you smarter, it makes you more controllable. It's interesting how some in here argue diversity in one thread, then proclaim how limited, and controlled settings are more advantageous intellectually. You probably prefer BBC broadcasting since it is a means for liberal messaging. Afterall, free, independent thought is not good for those who seek to impose a lifestyle upon everyone else. I for one prefer to have choices in my life. I like to watch a Fox, and then switch over to a CNN as a matter of gaining perspective. If I merely had one or the other, I might be one of the herd like most everyone else.

Knowledge is what makes you smarter. Knowing what it is that you are watching, reading, seeing, and being taught, is what makes a person intelligent. If you have limited source of informatory outlets, then my friend, you will be a limited person intellectually.