Welcome to PatsFans.com

GWB folks.. Grand Canyon created by Noah's Flood..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Said before and will say again, while the great distraction of Iraq is going on, GWB and his right wing cronies are dismantling a lot of our infrastructure and attempting to change the culture of America. Here is an example, GWB and his creationists are changing how the Grand Canyon was created, no longer as a function of Geology but as a biblical event tying into Noah's Flood. There is a lot of crap going on here folks, need to pay attention.

Talk about politically correct, do not want to offend the religious fundamentalists.

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801

Washington, DC — Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood rather than by geologic forces, more than three years later no review has ever been done and the book remains on sale at the park, according to documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

“In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology,†stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. “It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is ‘no comment.’â€

In a letter released today, PEER urged the new Director of the National Park Service (NPS), Mary Bomar, to end the stalling tactics, remove the book from sale at the park and allow park interpretive rangers to honestly answer questions from the public about the geologic age of the Grand Canyon. PEER is also asking Director Bomar to approve a pamphlet, suppressed since 2002 by Bush appointees, providing guidance for rangers and other interpretive staff in making distinctions between science and religion when speaking to park visitors about geologic issues....

Ironically, in 2005, two years after the Grand Canyon creationist controversy erupted, NPS approved a new directive on “Interpretation and Education (Director’s Order #6) which reinforces the posture that materials on the “history of the Earth must be based on the best scientific evidence available, as found in scholarly sources that have stood the test of scientific peer review and criticism [and] Interpretive and educational programs must refrain from appearing to endorse religious beliefs explaining natural processes.â€

“As one park geologist said, this is equivalent of Yellowstone National Park selling a book entitled Geysers of Old Faithful: Nostrils of Satan,†Ruch added, pointing to the fact that previous NPS leadership ignored strong protests from both its own scientists and leading geological societies against the agency approval of the creationist book. “We sincerely hope that the new Director of the Park Service now has the autonom to do her job.â€
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Every religion has beliefs which are seen as absolutely absurd to people that are not practicioners of that religion. Even atheism has his elements of ridiculousness when you think about it.

You can accept and tolerate different beliefs or you can turn around and be a bigot and ridicule others. People like me choose tolerance and acceptance. People like you choose bigotry and hatred. Another reason I am a better person than you.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You just contradicted yourself twice within three sentences... that's gotta be a record...

Anyhow, you're tolerant and accepting? LOL...

Did you actually read the story? It's not about tolerance, it's about the frightening and increasing union of church and state, the very thing this country was founded AGAINST... You do understand that, yes?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

"Noah's flood created the Grand Canyon"

I've always said that.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I can tolerate anyone's religious beliefs, as long as they keep their beliefs out of the realm of public influence. I've been to places where people actually believe that there are communities of tiny people living in piles of rocks or under the roots of large trees. I was in Ireland where it was explained to me that all the trees are gone because of the Great Flood and offerred proof by showing a piece of tree found in a peat bog. This from a man I respect and admire for dozens of reasons, one of them being his inability to tell a lie. Some people are raised in a culture where hard work and living well are more important than the understanding or cosmic events and geologic time scales, and that's fine with me. In fact, I wish I could live my life as well as my Irish friend has. There are ways that ignorance really is bliss.

All that aside, a religious book explaining the formation of the Grand Canyon as an act of a single event being sold in a public place operated by the government is illegal and wrong. The same book being sold at Barnes & Noble is normal and fine with me. Put it in the same section as the books about trolls and alien abductions. I worked hard for my B.S. degree in Geology. The placement of a book like this for sale in a visitors center at a national park is particularly offensive to me, as it should be for anyone living in this culture.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Whistah,
    "The little people living in community's in the rocks"
    I had to smile when I read that, your the first person that I have ever heard mention that, I remember my father telling me about the people that believed that, he said he talked to some of them and that they truly believed it, some told him of the encounters they had with these "little people".

I am not sure but I think it was somewhere within distance of Newfoundland, when my fater was a teenager he worked on the fishing boats out of Newfoundland, I may be wrong though.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Will not argue that, as obviously you are.. no concern about this theory and its impact on our day to day lives.. love your attacks keep them up, people like you make the other side more appealing.. no intelligence, just attack, attack, don't think of the message just attack the messenger. Bottom line is you are a better person than most of us.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's probably true, Boy. The people who hold those beliefs - and this was in the late 80's and early 90's- were the people I met in Newfoundland, Iceland, West Ireland, Northwest Scotland and Norway. I went to these places every summer for a few years when I was single (good times!). The people in the rocks legends are from Viking descendents. In Ireland, the myths of faerie knolls are the same, but they center around clutches of shrubs around a large tree on a hill, but it's the same idea. I love those stories. Must be the genes - mostly Irish with some Icelandic (same thing).
  9. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

it's not about religious freedom/beliefs, it's about a nation-state abandoning academic and scientific standards in forming public policy for the sake of political cronyism. Wake up, man...