PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guyton re-signs through 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guyton signs ERFA tender

$650,000 signing bonus tells me he's certainly still in the Pats' plans, and the Spikes / McKenzie era may be at least a year away.

By the way, am I the only one that didn't realize he wasn't under contract? I know he couldn't go anywhere as an ERFA, but I don't recall reading anything about him and his contract status prior to this thread.

$650,000 signing bonus tells me he's certainly still in the Pats' plans, and the Spikes / McKenzie era may be at least a year away.

By the way, am I the only one that didn't realize he wasn't under contract? I know he couldn't go anywhere as an ERFA, but I don't recall reading anything about him and his contract status prior to this thread.
Thats chump change for an NFL contract. 2.1 mill for 2 years doesnt send me any message about Spikes or McKenzie being behind him.
Its actually a reasonable contract for the sub pakcage, special teams and backup role most of us expect him to have this year.

$1M a year for a sub bakcup player is reasonable. It's good to see that we have all four ILB's locked up through 2011.

Thats chump change for an NFL contract. 2.1 mill for 2 years doesnt send me any message about Spikes or McKenzie being behind him.
Its actually a reasonable contract for the sub pakcage, special teams and backup role most of us expect him to have this year.

What he says.

Guyton probably knows that he'll never ever be a dominant ILB and no matter where he goes in the league, is highly unlikely to start.

So, he stays at a winning franchise for a reasonable contract where he should see SOME game time.

Win-Win for mine.

The comments from Guyton's agent are interesting and seem to undercut the assertions from Mankins that the organization won't deal fairly with him or keep their promises.

The comments from Guyton's agent are interesting and seem to undercut the assertions from Mankins that the organization won't deal fairly with him or keep their promises.

We’re absolutely thrilled that the Patriots have done this for him,” Guyton’s agent, Richard Kopelman, told me this morning. “It’s fantastic. He’s worked very hard. They know it. We had some discussions with them a while back. ‘Hey, if you could, it’d be great if you could step up and do a little something for Gary this year.’ And they told us they would. They were true to their word, which was fantastic.
They were great to deal with and I think it put him where he ought to be now,” Kopelman continued. “Any time your employer recognizes your value and shows it to you that way, we’re just thrilled. They didn’t have to do anything. They could’ve kept him for $470,000… We’re just super pleased with the way they’ve treated him and look forward to him being up there for a good long while.”

Yes, this type of news somehow doesn't start 40 threads on BB & Kraft's fairness to a contributor. Of course this is the other end of the financial spectrum from a top 5 at his position starter but it shows the character of the org. Spent more on the guy than they could have gotten away with.

Hey, I sure wouldn't mind $2M over the next 2 years but I fail to see the other end of the spectrum where the horrific disrespect a $7M a year represents vs $8M. Half, or more of the incremental salary, should idiotic tax legislation being contemplated passes, will be pissed away in taxes.

Last edited:

This has no relationship to the situation with Mankins.

The patriots could had this 2009 STARTER who played 85% of the defensive plays for $500K. They chose to extend him a year for $1.6M more, with only additional $650K payable now. The patriots got a GREAT deal.

This has no relationship to the situation with Mankins.

The patriots could had this 2009 STARTER who played 85% of the defensive plays for $500K. They chose to extend him a year for $1.6M more, with only additional $650K payable now. The patriots got a GREAT deal.

The truth is that positive or negative stories about contract negotiations both give the wrong impression.
The Pats expect Guyton to be useful for at least 2 years so they took advantage of their bargaining power to pay him now instead of later, probably saving some money next year in the process.
The Patriots have determine what Logan Mankins is worth. Loga Mankins thinks they are wrong. That doesn't make Mankins an idiot or the Patriots cheap or unwilling to pay top dollar.
If the organization is run properly there will be a handful of players who overvalue themselves compared to where the team values them. (And others who ARE worth more to someone else too for various reasons).
If EVERY good player leaves because the team feels their value is less, then you have a cheap organization.
If NONE do then you have an organization that overspends and ultimately manages the cap poorly.
The Patriots seem to do a good job of striking the balance. Some top tier players leave, some are resigned (more stay than leave). Some middle tier guys (such as Graham and Watson) are useful under rookie contracts and never really oursued for the expensive 2nd contract.
There really are not a large number of useful players that werent over the hill that we did not retain. And in just about every case you can see a big contract acquisition that ultimately was the 'replacement' at least in cap terms.

Some want to deride the organization for contract disputes, but if those people had their way, and the Patriots caved before any player could leave, or actually even threaten to (Often the team is categorized as cheap when they are IN negotiation) then most of what this franchise accomplished in a cap era probably never would have happened.
Many fans want the success that eminates from fnancial responsibility yet want individual decsions to be irresponsible. (And yes keeping every player happy, giving every player what they think they are worth is irresponsible)

Mackenzie and his agent were even more effusive last yeaqr when the Pats did more for the IRed MacKenzie than they were required to.

We’re absolutely thrilled that the Patriots have done this for him,” Guyton’s agent, Richard Kopelman, told me this morning. “It’s fantastic. He’s worked very hard. They know it. We had some discussions with them a while back. ‘Hey, if you could, it’d be great if you could step up and do a little something for Gary this year.’ And they told us they would. They were true to their word, which was fantastic.
They were great to deal with and I think it put him where he ought to be now,” Kopelman continued. “Any time your employer recognizes your value and shows it to you that way, we’re just thrilled. They didn’t have to do anything. They could’ve kept him for $470,000… We’re just super pleased with the way they’ve treated him and look forward to him being up there for a good long while.”

Yes, this type of news somehow doesn't start 40 threads on BB & Kraft's fairness to a contributor. Of course this is the other end of the financial spectrum from a top 5 at his position starter but it shows the character of the org. Spent more on the guy than they could have gotten away with.

Hey, I sure wouldn't mind $2M over the next 2 years but I fail to see the other end of the spectrum where the horrific disrespect a $7M a year represents vs $8M. Half, or more of the incremental salary, should idiotic tax legislation being contemplated passes, will be pissed away in taxes.

Good signing, good guy at a really good price..

The Pats are generous with the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They are stingy with the millions.

That's not inconsistent with what Andy said.

The Pats are generous with the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They are stingy with the millions.

That's not inconsistent with what Andy said.

I think it's also a question of length. Mankins would be on the books for 5 years, where this is only 2. Less risk if something goes south or there is a dramatic change in financial climate after the new CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes