PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guys...you need brains to play on this defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maualuga next to Jerod Mayo would have been lights out, we could have kept our base 3-4 and rushed AD instead of dropping him back into coverage and relying on this horrible 4-man (no pass rush) line that we are employing now that makes the Kyle Orton's of the world look like San Francisco Joe.

We could have trotted out a tandem of (Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga, Jerod Mayo and AD off the edge to rush). With our normal 3 man line. BB flat out blew it...........People give this BS about Rey being dumb as a bag of rocks and he can't fit our scheme ? What, give me a break. Rey is making plays all over the field for the Bengals (sacks, tackles for losses) and we trot out the likes of Pierre Woods and a 4-man dline that can't generate any kind of pressure and leaves our secondary hanging out to dry.

Take off the Patriots glasses and realize that BB f'd up this draft big time. Clay Matthews and Rey Maualuga, could have and should have been Patriots.

Last edited:
Re: Guys..you need brains to play on this defense

New guys are better... now if you want to compare this crew to NE of 03 or 04, you have a point.

I guess we were one missed FG away from thinking the Pats were steamrolling along. Funny how quickly perception changes. Rather get thses frustrating losses out of the way now - as long as they get it together in the winter.

Obviously, I am talking about our last two Superbowl champions.

Unfortunately, when you are a Patriot's fan, anything less than a

Superbowl win is a disappointing season. I don't know if this

current team has enough talent to perform this feat.

We do have better talent at defensive back this year but our

quarterback is still recovering and Gaffney should have been re-signed.

Maualuga next to Jerod Mayo would have been lights out, we could have kept our base 3-4 and rushed AD instead of dropping him back into coverage and relying on this horrible 4-man (no pass rush) line that we are employing now that makes the Kyle Orton's of the world look like San Francisco Joe.

We could have trotted out a tandem of (Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga, Jerod Mayo and AD off the edge to rush). With our normal 3 man line. BB flat out blew it...........People give this BS about Rey being dumb as a bag of rocks and he can't fit our scheme ? What, give me a break. Rey is making plays all over the field for the Bengals (sacks, tackles for losses) and we trot out the likes of Pierre Woods and a 4-man dline that can't generate any kind of pressure and leaves our secondary hanging out to dry.

Take off the Patriots glasses and realize that BB f'd up this draft big time. Clay Matthews and Rey Maualuga, could have and should have been Patriots.

Ok, I agree that a talent player who doesn't fit into the Pats' system is so awesome that his awesomeness would magically convert read and react responsibilities into just flying around into making plays. Awesomeness is something that can't be taut and only players like Maualuga.

BTW, while talking about the Bengals. Have you ever wondered why Cedric Benson was a huge bust in Chicago, but has turned into a very solid RB for the Bengals? Maybe it is because of the scheme? It wasn't like Matt Forte had trouble running last year when he replaced Benson.

Seriously, some players fit one system and other players fit another. Not all players can play in all systems. If you are physically gifted and not great on football knowledge, you are going to fit in better in a system that Marvin Lewis runs than Bill Belichick. That is a fact of the matter. That is why most of the players who leave the Patriots don't do well elsewhere because the Pats got them because they have talents that fit their system, but won't fit others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes