PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guys...you need brains to play on this defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
but apparently talent is not a requirment, just ask Pierre Woods.

Why draft 1st round talent on defense when we can keep trading back for mid round picks that we reach on o-linemen, who are eventually put on the practice squad or are inactive every game.

Im sick of people saying talented players are not a good fit in the Pats d, yet journeymen and undrafted free agents are all perfectly suited.

Re: Guys..you need brains to play on this defense

Ah another guy that's pissed about BB passing on the likes of Rey Maualuga (8 tackles, 6 solo and 2 for losses yesterday). Welcome aboard.......

Let's pass on Clay Matthews, deal away Mike Vrabel and put all of our eggs in the basket of Mr. Invisible, Pierre Woods. Sit Pat Chung and
inactivate that stiff Ron Brace each week........ Makes alot of sense.........

Last edited:

one play on either royal or gaffney, its like he didnt try. he stood and reached his arm out.. On another tackle guyton was standing someone up, and woods just stood there day dreaming and litterally jumped on the tackle 5 seconds later.

Im not saying rey m. per se, but someone who would contribute. Mayo, wheatley, o'connell, and crable were our first 4 picks in the 2008 draft, by next year mayo will be the only one left.

Chung i have hope for, but c'mon the fact that he barely makes the field makes me nervous. merriweather his rookie year saw the field much more. Brace is mr. inactive, and as we have seen in the BB era, when rookies are put on IR with mysterious injuries, or are constant inactives, they dont tend to last long.

Yeah. I sure would love to see Rey Maualuga rumble down the field at barely 2 MPH trying to catch up with the likes of Leon Washington or Fred Jackson! :rolleyes:

Say it to Taunton Meriweather

Eh, I haven't spoken about the taunt, but my opinion on it was that it was BS. Players taunt other players all the time and the ref could have held off the flag on that one. Nevertheless, though, even if Meriweather didn't taunt the guy, we still would have lost the game due to our turnstile defense.

And no, the lumbering Rey Maualuga is not the answer.

We have all been so bedazzled by the aura of Bill Belichick that

we haven't noticed that almost all the defensive veterans who

helped win three Superbowls are gone. The new guys frankly

aren't as good and don't have the tradition of winning.

We have all been so bedazzled by the aura of Bill Belichick that

we haven't noticed that almost all the defensive veterans who

helped win three Superbowls are gone. The new guys frankly

aren't as good and don't have the tradition of winning.

New guys are better... now if you want to compare this crew to NE of 03 or 04, you have a point.

I guess we were one missed FG away from thinking the Pats were steamrolling along. Funny how quickly perception changes. Rather get thses frustrating losses out of the way now - as long as they get it together in the winter.

one play on either royal or gaffney, its like he didnt try. he stood and reached his arm out.. On another tackle guyton was standing someone up, and woods just stood there day dreaming and litterally jumped on the tackle 5 seconds later.

Im not saying rey m. per se, but someone who would contribute. Mayo, wheatley, o'connell, and crable were our first 4 picks in the 2008 draft, by next year mayo will be the only one left.

Chung i have hope for, but c'mon the fact that he barely makes the field makes me nervous. merriweather his rookie year saw the field much more. Brace is mr. inactive, and as we have seen in the BB era, when rookies are put on IR with mysterious injuries, or are constant inactives, they dont tend to last long.

Actually, no. All everyone did Meriweather's rookie season was b!tch about what a BUST he was because he wasn't starting immediatley. Example: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...hts-brandon-meriweather-page2.html#post564364

I expect everyone will be dogging Chung for being a BUST in a couple of weeks, also. Since Jerod Mayo started the season at LB as a rookie, EVERY rookie should be a high performer right away. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I sure would love to see Rey Maualuga rumble down the field at barely 2 MPH trying to catch up with the likes of Leon Washington or Fred Jackson! :rolleyes:

Maualuga would be a fan favorite with the pats, he 's active and makes plays. why do people assume just cause the pats didnt draft him he cant play in our defense. Glad we spend the draft picks on guys like ohernberger, bussey,Greg lewis, and alex smith, guys who can play on the team.

Plus its not like vrabel, bruschi, and ted johnson were the fastest guys either.

Last edited:

Maualuga would be a fan favorite with the pats, he 's active and makes plays. why do people assume just cause the pats didnt draft him he cant play in our defense. Glad we spend the draft picks on guys like ohernberger, bussey,Greg lewis, and alex smith, guys who can play on the team.

There's two great reasons why the Pats didn't draft him. The first is that he's borderline ******ed. The second is that Vince Wilfork is probably more fleet of foot than he is. As for the draft picks we spent, the majority of them we get back anyway, and the ones we don't are in the lower rounds where the draft becomes an essential crapshoot anyway. Why not use it on veteran talent to see if something sticks? If it does, you're a genius on this forum. If it doesn't, you're an idiot on this forum.

I will agree that I'm getting more and more pissed off by the day that we wated a 3rd and a 5th on a guy like Burgess who is doing an excellent ghost impression if I've ever seen one.

The fact of the matter is that football is about skill sets matching the schemes you run. Sorry, it isn't just BS. Saying the Pats don't use high draft picks for LBs and that is wrong to do is one thing. But saying that the Pats were stupid to pass on a player who is immensly talented, but doesn't fit the Pats' system is another.

All you have to do is look at highly touted free agents who are superstars on one team and then change teams and become duds or the guy no one wants and a team picks them up and they become a break out star to prove the theory that some players fit one scheme, but not another.

Look at Galloway. His problem isn't that he has lost a step. If that was his problem, he wouldn't have been inactive. It is because he struggles in the Patriots' system. If he was in a less complicated system right now, he might be starting depending on the other WRs on the team. On the Patriots though, he is not even worthy of activating for the game.

I don't think LB is the problem... Guyton, Mayo are solid... Banta Cain is a nice rotational player. Thomas has "disappeared" since 2007...It is going to take time for these guys to gell in the secondary.. I blame the DC for not playing some press coverage vs. Marshall and Royal.

doesnt help that he's the oldest reciever in the league who was coming off a season in which he was injured.

doesnt help that he's the oldest reciever in the league who was coming off a season in which he was injured.

Except he still has blazing speed. His problem has not been physical, it is mental.

Well if we are looking for brains on defense... I wouldn't put Rey in that category.. I would of preferred Matthews and his ability to set the edge.

Plus its not like vrabel, bruschi, and ted johnson were the fastest guys either.

Do you really need to ask this question on these boards?

Do you really need to ask this question on these boards?

Sorry, but I didn't want the guy before the draft for the same reasons I don't think he would do well with the Pats now. I do think the Pats want intelligent players and their defense is a read and react defense which requires football intelligency. Magualu can thrive in a defense where he is just asked to make plays, but that isn't what the Pats ask of their defensive players.

If he was able to crack the starting line up.... the grass is always greener.

Perhaps our defense is too complicated and we need to scale it back a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots