PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gutierrez cut, Andrew Walter signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
crap like this is why I love this time of year!! Give us the chance to make mountains out of the smallest mole hills!

Belichick decided he needed an upgrade to Gut to compete for one of the QB spots. He signed Walter instead of Lemon. I would have preferred Lemon, but perhaps Moss and Belichick know more about Walter than I do (ya think?).

My guess is that Hoyer is now just another of the UDFA's who won't make the team. Belichick can decide whether to keep three QB's on the 53. I would think that he will since the #3 QB suits up without losing a game day roster spot. We do need three QB's for normal practice, especially if there are any minor injuries. While we could count on a Practice Squad QB to play the opposing QB, it seems best to have a #3 QB.

With regard to #2, perhaps it is all locked up, perhaps not. In the end, it really doesn't matter. Both O'Connell and Walter will get plenty of practice time.

BTW, Walter is certainly a reasonable #3 QB, better than most, if not almost all.

Last edited:
Maybe BB wanted a vet on the sidelines who is good at taking notes and relaying messages to Brady... and that none of the other QB's were good at these administrative tasks.

perhaps Moss and Belichick know more about Walter than I do (ya think?).

For what little it's worth, I thought that Andrew Walter was the worst starting quarterback I had ever seen in the NFL. Yes, his O-line made him look terrible, but he returned the compliment.

BTW, Walter is certainly a reasonable #3 QB, better than most, if not almost all.

If you substitute "hopefully" for "certainly" I agree with you. ;)

he was just released a couple days ago , it fueled a little vick to oakland hype for about 5 minutes

Thanks.

I wonder if Waltah's signing has less to do with Hoyer, and more to do with KOC not being ready for the #2 job.

Walter has nice size and set all of the major passing records at Arizona St, he can chuck it. He even surpassed Elway's Pac-10 career mark for touchdown passes/85-77. He's a classic dropback passer and the biggest question mark coming into the NFL about Walter was his lack of mobility and that's still the biggest question mark with him now after 4 NFL seasons. He got sacked a lot in Oakland but I believe that was due to really horrendous O-line play. Let's see what he can do in camp and pre-season, time will tell.

Lombardi today on Walter:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Injuries-have-begun.html

ANDREW WALTER AND PATS

The signing of Andrew Walter by the Patriots is an interesting move. The Bears and Jaguars were also in pursuit, and most thought that Jacksonville, whose offensive coordinator, Dirk Koetter, is a former head coach at Arizona State, would be the favorite. However, Walter needed to go to a team that can highlight his skill level as he rebuilds his career. What better team to do it with than the Patriots? It worked for Randy Moss, and it just might work for Walter. He has all the skills necessary to be a productive player: He can make all the throws with ease, as the ball comes off his hand very smoothly. In this offense, he is back to his college roots, throwing the ball down the field and outside the numbers. In 2004, Walter set the Pac-10 record for most career touchdowns, finishing with 85 and shattering the previous record held for 22 years by Stanford's John Elway. He has enough athletic skill to avoid the rush and make plays with his feet. He’s not a runner but is more of a mover in the pocket.

Walter must rebuild his confidence after the 2006 season took a devastating toll on his mental well-being. Rookies Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez are two young quarterbacks who might start for their teams, but both are playing in contemporary systems that will be their offenses for years to come. Walter, who spent the past four seasons with the Raiders, was in a prehistoric offense that destroyed his confidence and the confidence of the coaches around him.

The move to the Patriots is good for both parties. The Pats get a young, talented player who needs to work into the right system, and Walter gets a chance to rebuild his career. This happens all the time in the NFL. Don’t forget, at one time Rich Gannon was benched in favor of Sean Salisbury in Minnesota. Once Gannon got into the right system, with the right coach, his career took off.

I hope they do, he will be a good..BACK UP , AND I SAY BACK UP, to Brady.. Was not excited about Cleo Lemon, would have also liked Brian Griesie..

I have a better idea: They should bring in Vick and design a special uniform for him with two big handles on the back. Then they could use him as a blocking dummy. Either that, or they could attach his feet to skids and use him as a blocking sled.

Good link. I def. prefer Waltah to Gutz, so we are better today than yesterday. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Patriots way of QBing, not so much during the pre-season - that's just too much too soon - but during the weekday practices throughout the course of the season, should he make the final cut.

Good link. I def. prefer Waltah to Gutz, so we are better today than yesterday.

Lombardi's perspective is definitely interesting. Walter looks a whole lot better if you think of him as a high-class developmental project rather than the traditional "veteran backup."

Raider fan here with a little perspective on Walter...
This kid never really got a chance with us, didn't have proper coaching. He has poise, and a killer arm, he just needs someone to take him under their wing. Mark my words, given the chance, Walter can be one hell of a QB. If something does happen to Brady, with a decent line and your staff Walter will come in and light it up! The kid set all kinds of records in college, and has shown flashes with us. As you know the Raiders have been in a panic for the past 6 years and didn't have time to spend with Walter bottom line. Al likes to win NOW and doesn't like spending a lot of time developing players (that has changed this year, thank all that is holy)
Anyway I think you will find during pre-season Walter has the skills, he just needs a little guidance that unfortunately he never got from us.
Good luck, I'm calling you guys to win the SB this year, and hopefully we will be beating your butt in the AFC championship in about two seasons. Congrats on the success this decade!

Maybe BB wanted a vet on the sidelines who is good at taking notes and relaying messages to Brady... and that none of the other QB's were good at these administrative tasks.

That would be dumb. You use roster spaces on the guys that can help you win games while playing the game. If none of the QBs can handle the note taking you get a former QB, give him the title of assistant QB coach and not waste a roster spot and salary cap space on a coach.

Raider fan here with a little perspective on Walter...
This kid never really got a chance with us, didn't have proper coaching. He has poise, and a killer arm, he just needs someone to take him under their wing. Mark my words, given the chance, Walter can be one hell of a QB. If something does happen to Brady, with a decent line and your staff Walter will come in and light it up! The kid set all kinds of records in college, and has shown flashes with us. As you know the Raiders have been in a panic for the past 6 years and didn't have time to spend with Walter bottom line. Al likes to win NOW and doesn't like spending a lot of time developing players (that has changed this year, thank all that is holy)
Anyway I think you will find during pre-season Walter has the skills, he just needs a little guidance that unfortunately he never got from us.
Good luck, I'm calling you guys to win the SB this year, and hopefully we will be beating your butt in the AFC championship in about two seasons. Congrats on the success this decade!

You are one of the classiest Radier fans ever to grace this board.

I'm sure the Pats did their homework on the guy but I would not be surprised in the least that #81's imput was highly regarded when discussing Walter.

Walter has nice size and set all of the major passing records at Arizona St, he can chuck it. He even surpassed Elway's Pac-10 career mark for touchdown passes/85-77. He's a classic dropback passer and the biggest question mark coming into the NFL about Walter was his lack of mobility and that's still the biggest question mark with him now after 4 NFL seasons. He got sacked a lot in Oakland but I believe that was due to really horrendous O-line play. Let's see what he can do in camp and pre-season, time will tell.

Ol' Plunkett2Vataha asks,
Does this remind anyone else of one James Plunkett ...
except going the other direction, NEP to OAK ?

You are one of the classiest Radier fans ever to grace this board.

I'm sure the Pats did their homework on the guy but I would not be surprised in the least that #81's imput was highly regarded when discussing Walter.

Yeah for sure, Moss has caught some BIG bombs from Walter in pre-season, he knows he has an arm. Sorry about my Raider brothers, most are still bent out of shape about the tuck game, you win some you lose some, just seems like we are always on the wrong end of the call. I'm really excited about where we are going right now so I have a lot of hope built up for the next few season. The way you guys are built it will still be a while before anyone can really touch you from an organizational stand point, but I have a feeling we are going to meet for some meaningful games in the short term future.
The Raider community I belong to, all respect the Pats a great deal (not like but respect) Enjoy it while you can, because as we know all to well it can be gone in a flash!

Ol' Plunkett2Vataha asks,
Does this remind anyone else of one James Plunkett ...
except going the other direction, NEP to OAK ?

Rich Gannon was drafted by the Pats....

Last edited:
I remember watching the Raiders on MNF in 2006, and Walter was throwing a deep ball to Moss that went behind him for an INC and I heard Moss say "damn it, Walter!" The broadcast crew proceeded to explain that this was another indication of Moss' unhappiness.

I remember watching the Raiders on MNF in 2006, and Walter was throwing a deep ball to Moss that went behind him for an INC and I heard Moss say "damn it, Walter!" The broadcast crew proceeded to explain that this was another indication of Moss' unhappiness.

Moss hated being in Oakland, wouldn't even extend his hands to catch a pass. He wanted out and used any excuse not to play. I told everyone "watch he will go to NE and be an all pro every season...right again! He doesn't like the west coast, and our team was an absolute mess (getting better finally), had nothing to do with Walter, he was just very inexperienced at the time, but I have seen him make killer throws again and again. His big thing is he WILL take a sack instead of throwing the ball away. He also get nervous, but I think mostly it was the situation here in Oaktown.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm headed back to my own forum, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes