PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gutierrez and Malone to practice squad, Dillard released from practice squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gutierrez, Malone to practice squad

I win.....

Two familiar faces. No, Bledsoe yet. :(

Your Killin' me with the Bledsoe talk. :)

Any word on Grogan? I heard he's been working out lately. ;)

Your Killin' me with the Bledsoe talk. :)

Any word on Grogan? I heard he's been working out lately. ;)

I'll take Flutie over either mentioned......at least he can drop kick......so he is a triple threat; pass, scramble / run or kick for points....:D

The Pats added two but cut only one. Was someone else cut recently?

Hodges?

are we at full at 53 after brady to IR ? i guess faulk replaces him on the roster.

I'll take Flutie over either mentioned......at least he can drop kick......so he is a triple threat; pass, scramble / run or kick for points....:D

Dude, That's a great point. I'm on that bandwagon!

are we at full at 53 after brady to IR ? i guess faulk replaces him on the roster.

It hasn't been announced officially by the team but when I was looking at the roster on www.Patriots.com, they moved Brady to the IR section.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=Rosters&Print=yes

Injured Reserve

NO. NAME POS HT WT BORN YR COLLEGE HOMETOWN HOW ACQ.
12 Tom Brady QB 6-4 225 8/3/1977 9 Michigan San Mateo, Calif. D6b-00 (199th overall)
69 Anthony Clement T 6-8 320 4/10/1976 11 Louisiana-Lafayette Lafayette, La. FA (NYJ)-08
68 Ryan O'Callaghan T 6-7 330 7/19/1983 3 California Redding, Calif. D5-06(136th overall)
91 Bo Ruud LB 6-3 235 9/2/1984 1 Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. D6-08 (197th overall)
95 Kenny Smith DL 6-4 303 9/8/1977 6 Alabama Meridian, Miss FA-07
75 Barry Stokes OL 6-4 310 12/20/1973 11 Eastern Michigan Flint, Mich. FA-08
26 Tank Williams S 6-2 223 6/30/1980 7 Stanford Bay St. Louis, Miss. UFA (MIN)-08

That makes a lot of sense.

Goots knows the offense and is available in case of another injury.
He is obviously below O'Connell at depth, given his release.

Having Goots available on the Practice Squad does not prevent the team from identifying a veteran they are comfortable with, and allowing him to practice with the team in the third spot, learn the offense for four or five games, and then become the number two. However, tying up Goots may make that less likely.

Clearly, Cassel is the guy. He will be given a minimum of five-six games before anyone else is brought in. The guy hasn't started a game since high school, eight years ago. However, he is the guy with the most training in the spot. So he will be given a chance to learn on the job a bit.

So, if he is being given five or six games before any thoughts of replacement, then O'Connell has half a season or so to learn as well. A top rookie QB can be expected to play after half a season - not best case, but it's possible.

And the real lack of high quality veteran QB's available - given guys like Cleo Lemon earning a three-year $9mm deal in the offseason - makes finding an acceptable option there difficult.

The other concern, of course, is injury. It's not just the performance risk at QB, it's also the injury risk. How many QB's get injured every year, at least 10, right? More? So Cassel, who is less mobile, less aware, and runs a bit, and works behind a sometimes-leaky line, has at least a one-third chance of getting injured, probably more. That's where thoughts of bringing in a veteran make more sense.

We'll see.

The updated depth chart is interesting, weird not seeing Brady's name @ QB:

http://www.patriots.com/depthchart.cfm

According to this, looks like Hochstein is now the starter at RG with LeVoir the top backup at LT, not Britt.

Ventrone is also no longer listed at WR, only backup S. He isn't going anywhere though, I did see on all ST units this past Sunday.

According to this, looks like Hochstein is now the starter at RG with LeVoir the top backup at LT, not Britt.

Ventrone is also no longer listed at WR, only backup S. He isn't going anywhere though, I did see on all ST units this past Sunday.

One minor point: this comes from PFW, not the Pats themselves. So don't be surprised if Bubba lines up at WR or S (or even FB :p).

So Cassel, who is less mobile, less aware, and runs a bit, and works behind a sometimes-leaky line, has at least a one-third chance of getting injured, probably more. That's where thoughts of bringing in a veteran make more sense.

Every line in the NFL is "sometimes leaky." I haven't seen a team go through a season and not give up a sack yet. The line played very well this past week against a pretty good D that has good depth on the D-line and quick LB's and is coached by a very good D-coordinator. Also, Cassel is very mobile. His pocket presence is another matter, that we will see in the upcoming weeks. Not enough evidence yet to make a definitive decision there.

One minor point: this comes from PFW, not the Pats themselves. So don't be surprised if Bubba lines up at WR or S (or even FB :p).

I understand but on 9/6 he was listed at WR. I'm sure if injuries were to occur he could slide over and play WR.

LeVoir is definitely ahead of Britt, who was a healthy inactive for the KC game. Hoch has always been ahead of Yates. The issue is that Hoch has been hurting, so yates started against KC.

Ventrone is our #5 WR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye