PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian: Welker "doing very well," but unlikely to start regular season

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Welker out until week 10, the pats will need a good 2nd receiving threat. Even if you go the draft route, you need the players to develop.

Call me insane, but what about T.O? Can the two greatest receivers of all time behind Jerry Rice play for one year of craziness?

Moss and T.O on the same team, while the young kids develop and Welker recovers.

HELL YEAHH

I know it is a long shot he is ready for week one but I think he could be ready well before week ten. If he gets puped I suspect him to come back the first game eligible which is week 7 and I could envision him not being puped for the regular season and coming back in week 4 and I am even really praying week one which by all timelines I have seen is about as early as it could be.

I know it is a long shot he is ready for week one but I think he could be ready well before week ten. If he gets puped I suspect him to come back the first game eligible which is week 7 and I could envision him not being puped for the regular season and coming back in week 4 and I am even really praying week one which by all timelines I have seen is about as early as it could be.
It absolutely could be Week 1. Is that likley ? No. PUP is likely. But people who say it's virtually impossible are simply wrong.

Very nice break down and I definitely see some of your logic and again this is a hard issue to argue from stand point as I feel we need WR help just don't think it is as urgent as others think.

as to your check list...two counter points

one you mention no slot but I think Edelman is more than adequate Slot receiver he want replace Welkers overall production but he seems like he will be a very good slot reciever

and two as to the future yes losing Moss will be tough but that will likely be Welkers first full season back and Hopefully Edelman and Tate will have developed nicely by then.

You have three talented players next year in Moss, Edelman, Tate
and three in the years past that in Welker, Edelman, Tate

Which really isnt as doom and gloom as people make it out to be sure we need some help there but not as much as people think.
Regarding Edelman: I'm trying to separate my expectation of what the Pats will do, from what is at present a reality.
--- He was pretty much the only option NE had at slot receiver at that point in the season.
--- He was being groomed to fill in outside at the #3 up until Wes was injured.
--- NE brought Darnell Jenkins onto the PSquad last Fall, he's more Welker sized with similar quickness to Welker and Edelman - if he's improved his route running from when he came out of Miami, and continued to improve at catching the ball away from the body, he could be competitive for the slot.
--- Who does NE draft? Mardy Gilyard is one of my favorites, you have draftniks claiming he'll need to play in the slot - does Bill build a little redundancy in?

As much as I like Edelman, I'm not going to do more than pencil him into the slot until we read some of the reports from OTAs/mini-camp (and that's if the NFLPA doesn't get all nasty and encourage players to hold out of voluntary camps).

Regarding Moss' replacement: this is again expectations vs. reality.
--- Tate played limited reps in two games before going on IR.
--- Edelman had a nice rookie season, that's no guarantee of his improvement.
--- Welker is very reliant on making quick cuts, stops, and starts, he'll need his knee to withstand much more then Tommy does in the pocket or an OL does blocking.

I'm sure Bill & Co. already have clearer ideas about who and what they have on the roster, not having the benefit of their inside information I can only assess the team based on what I know. At WR NE has Moss, a Special Team's Captain, an old vet getting a test drive, and some kids. I want more kids to push the ones on hand and improve the odds of finding diamonds to polish. Because of the way offense can protect and adjust the defense's game, I have to make that my priority - which doesn't mean I don't draft DL/OLB in round one, just that I have a workable plan for creating a strong pool of WR candidates before I allocate too many resources to other wants.

A lot of you people are living in a fantasy world. If you ar relying on Welker to come back next season at any point and be productive, you are just fooling yourself. We might get lucky and see Welker ocme back and be semi-productive, but more likely he won't be.

In fact Welker could in fact be done as a WR. The Patriots better not be relying on him to make an impact next year, cause that is putting 1 too many eggs in the WR basket.

It isn't just that he has to rehab the knee, it isn't just that he has to psychologicaly learn to trust it, its also that he will end up compensating with other muscles and then injure something else.

Coming back isn't easy and I don't expect Welker to ever be what he was and that means the Patriots better get themselves some kind of WR help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back