PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian: Practice Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...08/08/11/practice-observations-a-soggy-night/
Practice observations: a soggy night
Just a few items to pass along from this evening’s two-hour practice which at times saw both heavy rain and drizzle inside Gillette Stadium.

*** Randy Moss was out with a soccer ball prior to the start of practice, kicking it around, doing various footwork drills. Wideout Wes Welker, who hooked Moss on the benefits of training with the soccer ball, and Jabar Gaffney also joined in. *** Ellis Hobbs, who had been taking it slow since being removed from the PUP list, got a lot more time at right corner than he had in previous workouts, especially on the first unit defense. Fernando Bryant, meanwhile, played the left side. Bryant had previously been playing the right side, with rookie Terrence Wheatley on the left. With corners Lewis Sanders, Antwann Spann, rookie Jonathan Wilhite and Jason Webster not practicing, the team was incredibly thin at the position for the practice.

So Hobbs was one of the main men. On one play, he broke up a long pass intended for rookie Matthew Slater.

*** As it was earlier in the day, the offensive line was slightly re-configured. The first unit had tackles Nick Kaczur and Wesley Britt essentially swapping sides. Kaczur moved from left tackle back to his usual slot at right takle, while Britt moved across to left tackle. Newly acquired John Welbourn also saw time on the second unit at right tackle.

*** With Matt Gutierrez absent from practice, rookie Kevin O’Connell got a lot more reps. He continues to show a lot of poise, and the ability to make things happen with his feet. He also continues to make some mistakes. He was picked off by Brandon Meriweather, who had a pair of interceptions on the night, the other coming off Matt Cassel.

*** While wide receiver Chad Jackson has spent some time with the first offense, that wasn’t the case last night. He didn’t take any snaps when Tom Brady was the quarterback.

**** Patriot’s coach Bill Belichick put the team through quite a bit of running at the close of practice. He also had all the quarterbacks (Brady, Cassel and O’Connell) stay late, well after all of the other players had left, practicing center-to-quarterback exchanges. The trio, along with centers Dan Koppen, Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell, were kept nearly 20 minutes after practice ended, to go over snaps. During practice, several exchanges had been botched in the slippery conditions.

Wait! Merriweather held onto not one but two INTs???

I'm bookin tix to the SB.

Wait! Merriweather held onto not one but two INTs???

I'm bookin tix to the SB.

One pick was off Cassell. I could probably pick off that guy the way things are going this pre-season.

I like to read about remedial QB/Center exchanges.

One pick was off Cassell. I could probably pick off that guy the way things are going this pre-season.

Brady was picked off too, and has been picked off on numerous occasions during this camp. Perhaps the team needs to cut him as well....

Last edited:
I like to read about remedial QB/Center exchanges.
I'm wondering if Mangini got Favre to stay late with Mangold. Except staying late after practice probably isn't in Favre's contract.

I'm wondering if Mangini got Favre to stay late with Mangold. Except staying late after practice probably isn't in Favre's contract.
His Lordship has his balls lifted to him on a golden cushion, no possibility of error.

His Lordship has his balls lifted to him on a golden cushion, no possibility of error.

From Peter King:

a. Remember what Steve Mariucci once told me about Favre, and apply it to learning a new offense. "He's got a photographic memory, or very close to it,'' Mariucci, his former quarterback coach, said. "You think he's sleeping there in the meetings, and he still knows everything he has to know and doesn't make mental mistakes.''

My Favre memory story: Two nights after seeing Sling Blade in 1996, he couldn't stop talking like Billy Bob Thornton. I'm not talking just a few words in the Billy Bob voice as the developmentally disabled vigilante Karl; I'm talking paragraphs. "I reckon I kilt him,'' he'd say in the Thornton drawl. And on and on. "Some folks call it a sling blade. I call it a Kaiser blade. Mmm-hmm.''

He'll learn it well enough. Chemistry with the receivers, now that's another issue.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/10/ufl/2.html

Do they take turns washing Lord Favre's balls?? Will this ever end, if he stinks up the joint in this offense whose fault will it be.. I hope Mangini's..

For Meriweather last year it was never about reading the QB or being the right position, it was about hanging onto the damn ball! Signs are good he'll be better at it this year.

Did you read about Laverneous Coles exchange with a fan in practice the other day? The Jets are talented, but man I'd be worried about their chemistry if I were a fan.

Back to the Pats...I think the rise of Meriweather would be the best thing that could happen to this defense.

I believe they canceled practice... Don't want to tire the guys out before the season you know.

a. Remember what Steve Mariucci once told me about Favre, and apply it to learning a new offense. "He's got a photographic memory, or very close to it,'' Mariucci, his former quarterback coach, said. "You think he's sleeping there in the meetings, and he still knows everything he has to know and doesn't make mental mistakes.''

My Favre memory story: Two nights after seeing Sling Blade in 1996, he couldn't stop talking like Billy Bob Thornton. I'm not talking just a few words in the Billy Bob voice as the developmentally disabled vigilante Karl; I'm talking paragraphs. "I reckon I kilt him,'' he'd say in the Thornton drawl. And on and on. "Some folks call it a sling blade. I call it a Kaiser blade. Mmm-hmm.''

He'll learn it well enough. Chemistry with the receivers, now that's another issue.

Favre was going to be a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist, but then the Packers called.

In other news, when Chuck Norris takes the day off from saving the planet, he calls in Favre as a backup. The only backup position Favre will ever play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes