Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guns don't kill people, 5 year old does.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by nabwong, May 1, 2013.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Hey you're the one that doesn't want the government protecting us from ourselves, right?

Me, I'm the big fat stalin-loving statist that thinks we should have cops. You, you're all about letting some armed gang of thugs "police" the streets, everybody shooting when they feel good about it.

I mean isn't that what Madison and Jefferson and Washington and that lot were thinking about?

PFnV
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Well, considering that cops commit suicide at a rate double than that of the general population and 90% of all cops commit suicide by shooting themselves, you may have something there.

2009 Police Suicide Statistics - Officer.com
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

The cops didn't commit suicide their guns killed them, the guns hypnotized the cops then they jumped into the cops hand and said pull my trigger and blow your brains out.

Friggin Guns
  4. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -1

Ban police!
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Means, motive, opportunity.

Means is there all the time for a gun-owner. Holding constant for motive and opportunity, ta-daaaa.

Gun access is way more prevalent in the cop population. Fact. Suicide is more prevalent among the cop population. Don't need Glen Beck's whiteboard to connect those dots.

PFnV
  6. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

Let's try this one:

Dealing with criminals is way more prevalent in the cop population. Fact. Suicide is more prevalent among the cop population.

Congratulations on yet another attempt (I think this might be attempt # 4,398) at portraying correlation as cause and effect.
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Uh huh. It's just a correlation. 51% of suicides are by firearm, "coincidentally."

Two possibilities: either people who are likely to kill themselves (for some other reason) buy firearms, or the availability of the firearms exacerbates the impulse.

Please don't try the "you're almost as likely to do it by all other means combined" idiotic assault on what we know to be the case. "Let's ban all other causes" is just dumb here.

Suicide rates high among gun owners, low for churchgoers » Times Record News

Oh and here's one with the map of where you're most likely to commit suicide - the states w/highest gun ownership rates (and in most cases, the most lax gun control)

STUDY: Suicide rates higher among gun owners | Local News | PE.com - Press-Enterprise

Did all these gun suicides "deal with criminals more often," RI? Or do they just have handy means available when they get an impulse?

The purpose of a gun -- by the stats -- is to kill yourself or someone close to you, or, last of all, a stranger -- whether justifiably or not. If you want to do those things buy (or print) a gun.

If you want your 4-year-old to do so, buy him one... and a year later, maybe you'll get lucky and be on the teevee.

PFnV
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Liberals:
    They mention the NRA
    They mention the law abiding fool handing a loaded gun to a 5 year old
    They mention the cop commiting suicide
    They constantly blame The Gun

Have you noticed they never ever mention the filthy smelly animal savage who intends to shoot another savage but always seems to shoot an old lady, an old man, a cat, an empty car, or a little girl selling lemonaide, these wretched human beings with the brains of retarded cave men have never learned to hit what they shoot at, the wordS "moron & retard" was invented for them.

Why does the Left Wing Liberal Media and all other Moonbat hand wringers repeatedly go after the Law Abiding Citizen and The NRA but never even a whisper about the Filthy Criminal.

What makes the liberal brain want to coddle the criminal, little by little it is starting to grow with the Boston Bombers?

WHY--------------:confused:
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Why are you okay with criminals and terrorists buying guns and ammo from your buddies at gun shows or over the internet? What is this the NRA's version of "Don't ask, Don't Tell"?
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

How is it "blaming the gun" to background-check prospective buyers?

Cons have this fetish for guns, acting as if they're people or more accurately deities with their own rights and their own feelings which must be respected.

Your magic thunder-stick's just a machine, Harry. Don't tell me how I "blame" the gun when you spend all your time bending all ideas and phenomena as hard as you can toward your bumper sticker about what kills people.

Background checks are for people, not the background of the fuggin gun.

PFnV
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Gunshows that sell guns to known criminals should be shut down.

Known criminals who are caught carrying or using a gun should go to prison for 25 years no possible parole NO TRIAL NO LAWYER.

Anybody caught selling a gun on the street corner should go to jail for 25 years no possible parole NO TRIAL NO LAWYER.

Every citizen of the United States who has no criminal record should be trained and pass a rigid firearm exam then they should be issued a concealed weapon permit allowed to carry a firearm.

We have dozens of "gun laws on the books right now that are never used by our politically correct wimpering civil liberty liberal justice system.

CRIMINAL PIG DOGS PAY NO ATTENTION WHATSOEVER TO ANY TYPE OF LAW GUN LAWS, LAWS MEAN NOTHING TO THE MURDERING SAVAGE.
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Harry, if they won't do a background check then how is anyone supposed to know if they are selling to a criminal, an illegal alien or someone on a terror watch list?
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

That's another dumbazz con man talking point I've had enough of... "There are already X gun laws on the books..."

Yeahhhhh okay how many municipalities do you know that have a law against discharging a firearm, where you have to do your huntin' an' target shootin' out in "the counties"?

Add all those up and you get a whoooole lot. Screw it though. Let's just have a single, federal, very sensible law: you have to have your gun on your person or locked in a safe. You have to pass a background check. You have to certify annually like you would if your firearm were part of your job. And just to make RI happy, no you can't print your gun -- every firearm must be traceable.

PFnV
  14. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

Ok, so you're for open carry and the rights of teachers and sutdents to protect themselves on school grounds. Excellent PFV....you can learn afterall.
  15. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

No, just people who have a right to bear arms guaranteed by our Constitution.
  16. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

Thats true, because it is impossible to get a fake driver's license :rolleyes:
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

I don't think I've ever said I'm against a background check, they did it to me when I obtained a permit, they did it in Mass and then again in Maine.
  18. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

Yes, it is absolutely just correlation. There is no cause and effect
    realtionship between owning a gun and committing suicide. None.....zero.

Worldwide, hanging is the cause of more suicides than guns. Ban rope?

Drugs and pesticides are the most common cause of suicide in Europe and Asia. Ban pesticides and perscription drugs?

WHO | Methods of suicide: international suicide patterns derived from the WHO mortality database

You want more useless correlation.

In Japan, there are 6 guns for every 1000 people. In the USA, there are 888 guns for every 1000 people.

In Japan, there are 21.7 suicides for every 100,000 people. In the USA, there are 12.0 suicides for every 100,000 people.

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, on average, Americans own 148 times more guns than the Japanese but the Japanese commit 75% more suicides than Americans.

So I guess I can conclude from this, using the "correlation method".....guns help save people from committing suicide.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Well, I suppose if I lived in Europe, Asia or Japan, I'd worry about rope and pesticides....but I don't. I live here in the United States...and here in the United States, guns far outweigh all other methods of suicide.

All suicides

Number of deaths: 38,364
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 12.4
    Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides
    Number of deaths: 19,392
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.3

Suffocation suicides
    Number of deaths: 9,493
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.1

Poisoning suicides
    Number of deaths: 6,599
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

FASTSTATS - Suicide and Self-Inflicted Injury
  20. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +202 / 9 / -26

Wow......more impressive correlation. I see it runs in the family. The family that comes to illogical conclusions together, stays together. :rolleyes:

Your point is meaningless. There is no proof that less guns equals less suicides. I've just given you proof to show just the opposite. Heck, I can show it over and over again in country after country.

There is no cause and effect relationship.