Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guns don't kill people, 5 year old does.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by nabwong, May 1, 2013.

1. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I don't think they should go to prison. They should spend 10 years doing community service. It is much better for them and the community.

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

Yeah suuuuure totally irrelevant.

They're marketing guns to children. In this case, he was 4 when he got his "cricket" rifle. We don't have cigarettes for children, we don't have junior booze, and we don't have "My first condom." Some stuff shouldn't be marketed to children, is what I think. I don't think kids should be able to "own" a gun at 4, and I don't think they should be marketed to kids like a neato keeno transformers toy.

PFnV

3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

BTW, Nabwong... I'm the local ultralefty (by local standards.) The swimming pool argument came from elsewhere -- and of course, you're right in your reply to this always-popular red herring. ("Other people die of other things, so guns are fine.")

PFnV

4. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +207 / 9 / -26

Guns aren't evil. Sorry.

In fact, they are so good that our Founding Fathers included our right to keep and bear them as part of the Bill of Rights.

I'd want every American child to be trained on how to safely use and care for (including storage) a gun so that the negligence shown by these parents won't happen to another child.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That will be a very effective campaign strategy. "A gun in every nursery":rolleyes: Surely a winner.

Honest to God RI, You have gone so far past the "guns are not evil" shtick that you're coming across that they inherently good. Is it a sickness?

6. nabwong

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Pfnv. If it were up to me, I won't have to worry about banning guns because I would have banned gun-manufacturing. This coming from someone who served 3 years in military. ;)

7. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah, maybe we should ban tires, because some fall out of vehicles and hit other cars causing death. Maybe we should outlaw computers cause people commit suicide from cyber bullying.

People today are nimrods.

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

Yeah maybe if the 2-year-old had a gun, she could defend herself against the 5-year-old. Nimrods indeed :)

9. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +207 / 9 / -26

Why just one gun....you do have two hands afterall.

10. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Bull! The problem is with the parent and you know it. Talk about politicizing something... Sad.Nimrod, yeah that sums it up. You should be ashamed.

11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

The parents were exercising their second amendment rights to buy a gun and give it to a 5-year-old child. Why do you hate the second amendment? Since they could do it, why is it bad that they did do it? If five-year-olds don't have guns of their own, how will we ever be free of government control and black helicopters and the like?

It was such an unpreventable tragedy. I wonder which video game caused the death.

PFnV

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Great story for "the gun grabbers" they'll hang onto this one.

Criminals love what's going on in todays Nutty America.

Women leaves child alone in a hot car with windows closed, child dies, it's the cars fault.

Gun jumps out of gang bangers drawer and hops over to scumbags bed and says "lets go shoot somebody today"

Moonbat Morons

13. Onedaful

Onedaful PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hurr durr I gave my 5 year old a gun and something bad happened. Let's not put the responsibility on the parents but the guns! If they gave the kid a knife and he stabbed someone would that then be the parents dumb actions because it didn't involve a gun?

14. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +419 / 6 / -11

Putting responsibility on the parents is not PC.. It is so much more in vogue to blame inanimate objects for the things they do.

15. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0

Once upon a time there was the concept of personal responsibility, now mistakes are the fault of society. Its a theme these days that has infected every issue and aspect of life. Society's role is now to protect us from ourselves.

16. nabwong

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Something I can't fathom is not that the parents gave a gun but gave a gun that was loaded? There's stupidity and there's STUPIDITY.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

And from one another......which is the point of virtually every law, isn't it?

Be that as it may - someone made reference to swimming pool accidents - and it's a good enough comparison, I think.

How is it that we, as a free society, don't have a problem with a myrid of federal laws governing the owning and caring for a pool but we do seem to have a problem with a law governing the owning and caring of a gun?

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/122222/pool.pdf
    http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/116885/Pool.pdf

There are a few states which require safety locks on guns - and a few which require that guns kept in a home are locked up in a safe - and if a child (or anyone else) is accidently injured or killed by a gun which was not properly locked or stored, the owner of the gun is held responsible. This is not the case in Kentucky.

There are no federal laws regarding the storage of guns.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Why is that? Why do we at least try to protect our children from drowning but not from being shot?

18. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0

I think the distinction between creating laws to protect us from one another and protect us from ourselves is a big one which you just casually lumped together. One is a matter of recognizing personal responsibility where the other is not.

This family made a poor decision and may have made it whether or not a law regarding gun storage and locks where in place. The notion that we need a law in place pretends as if someone that was careless enough to keep a loaded gun around small children is suddenly going to pay attention to the passing of such a law. Trying to govern common sense and or mistakes is an effort in futility. Do we need a law governing cleaning product storage, baby gates around stairs and monitoring your child at the beach?

All that being said, there is a point where certain injuries happen at such a frequency that it becomes a public hazard. As for your question regarding pool laws versus gun storage laws, referencing IC statistics, I think the difference is a matter of frequency.

In this particular case, I would put this unfortunate death in the same class as the person that accidentally leaves their baby in a hot car all day, backs over their child in the drive way, or leaves their opened bottle of medication on the table. Its a tragic event that probably could and should have been avoided but for whatever reason wasn't. In and of itself it doesn't speak to a trend or widespread issue that can and should be addressed through increased regulation.

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

A law requiring a gate around your pool has made a difference in how a lot of people suddenly became more responsible. Take that requirement away and watch the responsibility slide. Laws work. Not all the time but they help.

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Jug Ears got elected twice, it's not Jug Ears fault, it's the peoples.