Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guns don't kill people, 5 year old does.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by nabwong, May 1, 2013.

1. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

2. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who gives a 5 year old a gun? I mean common sense!

Of course he wasn't monitored and the gun wasn't locked up, I hope they charge the parents with the child's murder! I hope they throw the book at them and make them an example for why stupid people shouldn't have guns and make a good case for mental health checks before being able to buy a gun.
  3. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 6 / -16

"A baby boy was killed by his family’s ‘mild-mannered’ Jack Russell, an inquest heard.

Harry Harper was just eight days old when the dog, PJ, bit his head as he lay in his cot, fracturing his skull and causing him brain damage.

The infant was pronounced dead in hospital 90 minutes after the attack by the usually docile pet.

Harry’s mother, 19-year-old Mikayla Bell, said in a statement that the Jack Russell and the family’s German shepherd were good natured."

Harry Harper inquest: Docile pet dog

Very sad.....very sad.

Ban Jack Russells :mad:
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I wonder if the family got the gun in one of the recent run on guns you always seem to throw up a smile over whenever there's a tragedy....you know where people rush out and set record gun sales because they believe "the government is going to confiscate all your guns" rhetoric the gun lobbyists" like to imply.

I'll bet the family is sure glad the government didn't get that one.
  5. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 6 / -16

Oh, I think you might be mistaken. People don't run out and buy guns because there's a tragedy. They run out and buy guns because they know that Progressives will try to use the tragedy for their anti-2nd Amendment campaign just like they did with Sandy Hook.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

They think they're going to have their guns taken away so they think the can buy them up and have them grandfathered I guess. Its a freaking panic like the run on the banks in the depression and the gun lobbyists throw up as many smiles as you do whenever it happens. The NRA doesn't let a good crisis go to waste. Guns, you see are the ony way to stop tragedies....except this one was created by one and who knows, they might just own it because of the false fear the lobbyists advance that we will lose our right to own them.
  7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +252 / 4 / -8

since it did not happen in chicago, it is certainly news

the NRA must be real strong in chicago
  8. nabwong

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's really not about banning or not banning but responsibility and consideration. For example, smokers have a right to smoke as much as non-smokers have a right to clean air. Who is right? But what we can do is be considerate of each others' needs and to do them in places and time appropriate. Clearly, a gun as a gift to a 5 year old is not appropriate, supervised or not.
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

P A R A N O I A. Watch out, there might be a Muslim in your town ... or a gay!!!! Eeeks! Come on kids, let's get into the bomb shelter.
  10. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 6 / -16

Or even worse.....an Asian :eek: (referencing, of course, your erroneous claim that the Dems were the "champions of immigrants and various minorities" since at least the 1900's)
  11. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 6 / -16

So the NRA is pushing legislation to limit the type of guns and magazines that people can have access to as is their right under the 2nd Amendment?

How about this...let's try a test. When the next "crisis" happens, how about if the anti 2nd Amendment people come out and propose open carry for every state instead of restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and let's see if there is a run on guns and ammunition. Deal?

BTW, this tragedy was created by misuse and negligence...not firearms.
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 5 / -8

No, this was caused by a 5 year old having a firearm. Not only getting access to one, it was "his."

Should they really make child-size rifles? This was a .22, not a pump-action BB gun... although the wisdom of giving even that to someone who has just begun to understood object permanence a year or two ago is pretty damned stupid. Still, he would probably have only bruised, or at worst, blinded his sister with a BB gun.

But what would the NRA say if you said you can't give a 4-year-old a gun? What would people here say? A bunch of stupid drek about 4 year old rights and black helicopters.

Nabwong, do you think it should be legal for a 4-year-old to own a .22 rifle given to him by his parents? You said it's not appropriate. Should it be legal?

PFnV
  13. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +252 / 4 / -8

In 2007, there were 613 accidental firearms deaths, including 74 children, being killed in a firearms accident.

In 2007, there were 3,443 fatal unintentional drownings, including approx. 700 children ages 14 and younger

should it be legal to go in the water?
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

It's legal to own guns, what's your point? It should be and it is illegal for negligence. There's probably many more times ten as many kids that go in the water each year than are in the presence of a loaded gun at home, so your stats make even less of a point.
  15. nabwong

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I really don't like to go into jurisprudence whether its secular or religious. But I do hold upon a certain belief should there be a need for it. I will not talk about consequence since that is another huge topic. I will only address the law.

I believe that laws should be made to protect the ones that cannot protect themselves. Can 4 year olds protect themselves from guns?

Please be aware that we live in a relative world. There are no absolutes. Every single thing comes with good and bad. We have to weigh if those things have more good or more bad.

If you want to compare a gun to a pool, you're welcome to. But you need to ask yourself the benefit of each. The pool has much more benefit to the physical and emotional development of a child than a gun. Of course it goes without saying that EVERYTHING a child does needs to be supervised, including watching tv or eating his vegetable.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Too funny how the gun rights extremists are so paranoid about Obama (NOT Bush or any other president, of course...just Obama) coming for their guns, they go to the limit of advocating gun rights for 5 year-olds. Amazing. They even go to the point of downplaying gun deaths among children in a reflexive, almost uncontrollable way not unlike any other extremely compulsive behavior. No thoughts come into play that may show concern for the kids who take guns to play with and blow some other kid away. The only thing that matters is the dillusional perception that Obama has some sort of agenda that includes taking guns away from adults who want them when the exact opposite of that can be easily demonstrated. The spastic bahavior of the gun nuts is absurd and demonstrates a lemming-like pattern that they themselves can't recognize except for when they attribute it to those who oppose them.

Saw this freak on CNBC last night:

3-D Printed AR-15s Aimed at Gun Control
  17. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +252 / 4 / -8

exactly what legislation would have prevented this? who's delusional?

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Who said anything about legislation?

People who believe Obama (and only Obama) are coming for their guns are dillusional, or at least brainwashed by the gun lobby. It's in my previous post.
  19. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

PFIV asked if it should be legal for the 5 year old to "own" a gun. A distinction that I think is pretty meaningless.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The real question is how many years in prison should these sad excuses for parents serve.