Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gun-Toting Soccer Mom - MERGED!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 9, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Melanie Hain, who got her 15 minutes of face time for putting a loaded Glock on her hip at her daughter's soccer game, was shot and killed in an apparent murder suicide involving her husband... after she carried the gun to the soccer game, her concealed weapon permit was revoked, she then won that case and was now filing suit as she alleged that her civil rights were violated... the permit issue did little to protect her in her own home... often the greatest danger is the one sleeping next to you, particularly for women.

The saddest part of this story is that apparently the kids witnessed the whole thing... but they reported had some cereal in the AM and were handling it well.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gun-toting soccer mom, husband shot dead | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/08/2009

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

It'll be interesting to see who shot who and with whose gun, won't it?

I'm pretty sure everyone's assuming (and perhaps rightfully so since apparently the kids said so) that HE shot HER but it could be the other way around.

Sexual equality and all.

One does have to wonder, tho, if it was her infamous pistol which was used in the shooting regardless of who shot who or why.

Brings home the point that merely having a gun can be dangerous since it's entirely possible that it will end up being used against you.

What could have been a domestic issue involving some anger and some punching/biting/hitting/kicking can easily escalate into murder if there's a weapon handy. If not, than not.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I guess its safe to say that the yahoos who carried guns to Obama rallies a few months ago are facing, at least from a statistical standpoint, a not so rosy future.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Maybe Jesus was right -

Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

I believe that domestic violence is a leading cause of death for younger women in the US... maybe women need to bring a gun to bed with them, rather than carry it on their hip...
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

As i was reading this i remembered thats its now legal in Arizona to carry in a bar. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Thats a real Bright idea, letting people bring loaded weapons to a place where they can get drunk and get into arguments.
  7. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Yeah, so a person with a license to carry was killed by her spouse in her own home. This is certainly a reason to either ban the the right to carry, or for people to not have guns. :rolleyes:
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Think you missed the point.. she carries a gun to a soccer game, which was her right, yet gets shot by her husband in her own home.. no one is talking about banning guns.. it is about where women are in the most danger.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

So what's that got to do with the price of banana's? I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there has been an instance where a woman with a license to carry, was attacked by her husband/boyfriend/bootycall and shot him dead, before he could kill her. What's that prove in and of itself? That's right, not much.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Your initial response was about an effort to limit the right to carry weapons, this post is not about the right to carry guns.. it has to do with the irony of a woman who carried a glock to a soccer game, was killed in her own home by someone she slept with.. that is all. The greatest danger for women is from their mates...

Pretty sure it happened before, and will happen again.. it doesn't prove anything as most things on this board do notprove anything ... all it shows is that home was the most dangerous place for this woman. National statistics bear this out...
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

It's against the law to consume alchohol and carry a firearm. Obviously some people will do it, but people will do most things that are prohibited by law. My buddies used to carry their glocks into nightclubs in town way back when, but they never drank when they did. I thought they were dumb cuz I'd never give up drinking on a saturday. :D
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Why even post it then?
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Thought it was interesting.. that is all. Do you police every post as well as this one?? Or am I just having a lucky day??
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I just thought the thread was stupid is all. Sometimes I let it be known, sometimes I don't bother. There's been a lot of pointless threads in this forum for a while now.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Yet you feel compelled to post things about a write in vote for Obama to win the Heisman... so sounds like you are sharing in this wealth. :rolleyes:
  17. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I guess Alvinnf's thread about changing one's modus operandi because of one news story was one of the threads that you politiely declined to "let it be known".

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/280358-gun-time.html

In the meantime, over the past year, this woman was actively turned into a cause celebre by interested 2nd Ammendment groups. As such, this is not some random story.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

In all honestly I never even looked in that thread. Believe it or not, I don't go into every thread. I went into this one cuz I thought a person was shot at a soccer game, and was curious as to why. I did go into some diarea thread about Obama's B-day, and commented about how useless a thread it was.

Yeah but this thread isn't about the 2nd amendment Shmess.
  19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I serious RW, when i first heard about it i thought thats insane. Not only are you mixing guns and alchohol, but your doing it in a setting that can be conducive to dissagrements. I went an dlooked it up its for real, you can now carry a concealed weapon into a bar. If its concealed thatn how is the bartender going to know. Could turn into the Wild West again.

9 New Arizona Gun Laws Take Effect TODAY!

Under the law, backed by the National Rifle Association, the 138,350 people with concealed-weapons permits in Arizona will be allowed to bring their guns into bars and restaurants that haven't posted signs banning them.

Those carrying the weapons aren't allowed to drink alcohol.

The new law has Shields and other bar owners and workers wondering: What's going to happen when guns are allowed in an atmosphere filled with booze and people with impaired judgment
  20. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

What???

You DO know who Melanie Hain was, right?

You DO know which amendment she crusaded about when she became famous?

She (and interest groups) made herself a symbol of the second amendment.