Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gun nuts vs. Gun control freaks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BlueTalon, Feb 20, 2006.

1. BlueTalon

BlueTalon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't yet seen a thread on this topic. (If there is, it has been a while since it was discussed.)

This quote by BelichickFan was worth responding to, but not in the thread in which it appeared.
    That strikes me as being liberal on that issue, but he didn't claim any percentage of Liberal.

So I would like to open a discussion on gun control. I'd like proponents of gun control to make a case for what they want to accomplish with it, and why they think it's justified.

I believe any such effort is futile, wrongheaded, and unconstitutional, just so there's no ambiguity. :D

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

The "Gun control dopes" want the Law Abiding citizen's gun taken away but they will never mention the gang bangers gun or the guns that are sold in every school yard in America.

In short, they want "your gun".

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

That was an oversight on my part. 1% liberal. Yuck.

But I'm much more pro life than pro gun control.

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good for you! (And perhaps during the course of this discussion I might dissuade you from your position on gun control, then you won't have to admit to any percent liberal.)

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

Basically my plan would be to phase it in over 20 years or so.

If you're caught with a gun in the commission of a crime you go to jail for life. Period. And, yes, I'm willing to pay the price for this.

After 20 or so years of this, IMO, some will disagree, we'll have enough of the criminals off the street that law abiding citizens won't need guns for self defense. The very rare occassions they would be more than be offset by accidental shootings caused by guns. You could still go hunting, etc, but would need to check your gun in and out.

Maybe this is some pie in the sky B.S. but after 20 years of life sentences for gun carrying criminals, I don't think so.

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's just not effective. Mostly every criminal who has a gun now has it illegally, and no laws piled on top of existing ones will make them give up their illegal gun. All gun control laws do is deprive law-abiding citizens of their right to self-defense.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

If they're all in jail for life they'll give up their gun . . . by force.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

Don't forget that the 2nd Amendment was put there by the founding fathers to keep the governemtn in check, more so than the criminals. Unarmed populace is alot easier to control than an armed one. That being said, almost all criminals obtain their guns illegally, tyhe only thing that gun control does is make it harder for the law abiding people to get guns.

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm all for STRICTLY enforcing existing laws, but the people who want to commit crimes will still do it until they're caught, and when they're caught there will still be others to take their place.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

The 2nd amendment was fine back then but the government's abilities have far advanced from then. The average citizen can hold his .22 or whatever all he wants but might as well have nothing compared to what the government now has. The concept of citizen militias watching over the government is out of date now.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

I still say that putting them in jail for life will have a large effect on this.

12. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We cant catch all the criminals now, how do you expect to catch and jail for life all the gun-toting ones?

Laws are only for law abiding people.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

That's because we have to catch them half a dozen times because they get such short sentences.

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's three-hundred million guns in the hands of private citizens in the USA. There's no way in he11 anyone is ever gonna get them all back. Even if we did have a total ban it would take a thousand years for them to rust away and that ban wouldn't affect Canada or Mexico from having them. Has the drug ban worked?

Besides Canada is just as gun crazy as we are. Check the numbers, per capita they own a comparable number of guns to us. They just don't shoot each other. The only real solution here is for everyone to act more Canadian, and I don't think anyone wants to go there.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Maybe true. What scares me is that with longer sentences (aside from prison overcrowding, which could become SEVERE) criminals may feel like they have nothing to lose and turn to murder, etc. Plus, we'd probably see a lot more cops shot when trying to apprehend someone with a gun ("Get any worse? How could it get any worse?")

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I like Canada, and I do think they're a more peaceful people as a whole than Americans, but the gun statistic needs some explanation. Canadians are long-gun crazy (shotguns, rifles, and carbines), it's pretty tough to get a concealed handgun permit.

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Pujo,
    I hope this doesn't get you in trouble with Patters, I had you all wrong, your not a "whack job liberal".

Your post on guns is plain and simple, (clear thinking common sense)

The "buy back progarm" where the "street kids turned in their guns" was a Joke, the "youths" as libs like to call them brought all the "junk guns" to the police station and got fifty bucks for them, they were laughing their @-sses off when they left, most still had brand new Glocks stuck in their belt while they were being handed money for the trash guns, one Boston Detective said it was embarrasing to watch, the kids from Grove Hall made the cops look like fools.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nope, I'm a whack job libertarian.

Most of my posts are plain and simple (as are yours) we just usually vehemicly disagree.

I guess I'd rather see the illegal gun taken off the street, otherwise there'd be a brand new GLOCK and a midnight special out there. And considering that it would cost the police department easily more than the $50 to remove the gun by law enforcement means (hell, just the time to write up the arrest & confiscation paperwork would cost more than that). I don't like that they give cash, though, going back to your example I'd rather they not give up the cheap gun and use the money to buy ammo for the GLOCK. Guns for toys, etc at least force the criminal to go through additional steps if they want to reinvest their gains in crime.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +818 / 2 / -9

Good point, the buy-back probably did get a lot of the Sat Night junk off the street.

This "gun thing" will be around long after we are gone. Back in the fifties it was harder for the street gangs to get guns so they made their own, they were called "Zip Guns" made with rubber inner tube elastics to be stretched back and release a nail or some small metal object that would strike the firing pin of the bullet.

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Things were tougher when you were growing up. The worst we had to deal with was rubberband guns in grade school.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006