Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gun deaths set to outstrip car fatalities for first time in 2015

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

Gun deaths set to outstrip car fatalities for first time in 2015 | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Deaths from firearms are set to outstrip car fatalities for the first time, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and reported by Bloomberg News.

The CDC estimates that auto-related deaths--long on the decline as more motorists wear seat-belts and face harsher penalties for drunk driving--will fall to 32,000 in 2015. Deaths from firearms, which include suicides and accidents, are estimated to rise to 33,000 over the same period.

Every day, 85 Americans are shot dead, about 53 of them in suicides. This figure is still lower than 1993's peak in gun deaths (37,666), but has risen significantly since firearm deaths reached a low in 2000 (28,393). The data goes back to 1979.
  2. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Based on projecting the numbers out to 2015. That makes sense how? Maybe it will be true. Maybe it wont. I'll check back in 2015 and we will find out! Pins and Needles!
  3. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was waiting for something like this to rear it's ugly head....Speculation....pure Speculation.....
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Projected out to 2015....:rolleyes:

Anyway, suicides should never, ever be counted. #1, if people want to off themselves, who cares. It's a free country, and people should be free and able to end their life if they so choose. #2, people don't need a gun to kill themselves.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +561 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Ya know what, RW, their families care, their mothers, their fathers, their children, their grandparents, their sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and neighbors....they all care....and that's a heck of a lot of people.

No, but guns are sure as heck used alot more frequently than any other method is.

Guns account for 55% of all suicides.

Suicide Statistics at Suicide.org! Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics!
  6. 1228

1228 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And studies show when you remove guns, the "death" rate doesn't go down.

Focusing solely on how many people die by guns, and not how many people die is utterly pointless.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +400 / 4 / -10

well....no suprise if you consider continuous improvement. cars are better in terms of safety. guns are better in terms of killing.

but hey, as long as we have drones, we are all set
  8. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yet both have the same capabilities if used irresponsibly.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Who said their families didn't care? That's right, no one did. :rolleyes: Like I said, if someone wants to kill themselves, and I'm referring to adults here, then they are/would/should/do have every right to. Who are you to tell me that I can't end my life? I'm not saying I want people to kill themselves. I'm simply saying that grown adults have every right to if they so choose.

The easiest way for me to get to work is to drive my car. Now, if I don't have a car, then I'll have to use a means that's not as easy, but I'll get to work just the same. See what I'm getting at here? If people want to do something, they're going to do it. Jumping off a bridge, standing in front of a train, sitting in a running car in the garage, or taking a bath with a toaster. People don't need a gun to kill themselves, and people who kill themselves shouldn't be included when considering the stats.
  10. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +400 / 4 / -10

so don't your basic household chemicals