Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guitar Gods

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by wistahpatsfan, Jan 27, 2007.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Who's your favorite guitarist? I like Rock and Blues, but I found a cheap CD of George Benson, and man, this guy could play, even if it was jazz.
    I think Buddy Guy is the greatest guitarist live but on recordings, Stanley Jordan is the best I ever heard.

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +683 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

For intensity: Johnnie Winter. For breathtaking originality: Jimi Hendrix. For sheer musicality: Eric Clapton. No one can make time stand still like Clapton at his best.

3. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I agree with you for originality being Jimi Hendrix, but either him or plant were the most intense of all time - either one of them or a modern day guitarist.

The best of all time in my book is Hendrix - he would of kept producing if he lived past his 30's.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The late great Stevie Ray Vaughan. I only got to see him perform twice but one of those times was an outdoor concert on a small lake in the middle of MA. It was also on the 20th anniversary to the day of Woodstock. How better to celebrate that anniversary than standing by a lake and listening to SRV pure his heart and soul into his guitar. I've seen a lot of great guitarists perform none have come close to Stevie.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

All that bluesy stuff - ick :(

Give me Dream Theater's John Petrucci any day.

6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

HE is a very good guitarist, innovative... quick... amazing.

However, I think he is more show then music

7. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a Clapton devotee, but I do love Slash from GNR. . .he's probably the first guitarist I ever remember liking, simply because of the opening riff to Sweet Child. I was 6 when that album came out, and it still remains one of my favorites.

I'm not sure I'd call Slash a "God" in the vein of Clapton, Hendrix or Vaughan, but he's talented and his style fit well in the band.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I love some of his live solos. But, again, I hate Blues kind of stuff so the Claptons, SRV, etc, might as well not bother for me.

9. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#54 Jersey

My favorites are :
    Duane Allman
    Carlos Santana
    George Harrison
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Dave Davies
    Johnny Winter
    Brian May
    Martin Barre
    Eric Clapton
    and the best
    Jimi Hendrix

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Anyone ever hear Junior Brown? Master of the petal steel Texas swing /honky tonk type stuff. Amazing.

11. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,287 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Ooooh, I've always felt Clapton was terribly overrated, especially since his drug crash decades ago. There probably are a dozen unknown blues guitarists in Chicago alone who could play circles around Mr. "Cocaine."

I like guitarists with a distinctive voice who sound like no one else; "feel" players who favor uniqueness of expression over sheer technical prowess. My favorites include Leslie West, Ritchie Blackmore and Steve Morse.

12. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +178 / 2 / -3

Actually its his own contraption - the "git-steel" - a combination of a slide and steel guitar.

I'm not really a big country music fan but I agree what he does is quite amazing. On the Steel Guitar I think Bruce Co-burn (that's how you say it - the swear police wouldn't let me spell it) is really underrated. http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...12/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_012/104-1892119-5995116

Of course Duane Allman deserves mention as another original along with
    Warren Haynes of the Allman Bros. & Dead & Phil & Friends is worth a mention - great voice too (and Gov't Mule though I'm not a huge fan of that band) http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...06/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006/104-1892119-5995116

Jerry Garcia influenced hundreds of thousands of guitar players as well, introducing bluegrass techniques to rock & roll and perfecting the art of introducing jazz-esque improvisation to rock.

I'm a big fan of Robbie Robertson as well - who often gets overlooked as just another member of the Band. (He and Clapton have a guitar duel seen on "The Last Waltz" - Robertson blows Clapton away) http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...03/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/104-1892119-5995116

Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, George Harrison all brought a lot to the table as well.

I love Frank Zappa's "Shut up and Play Yer Guitar" as well as "Garruda Groove" for anyone who likes Zappa's playing but not the yakking http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...11/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/104-1892119-5995116

John McLaughlin, Steve Vai, and Carlos Santana need to be included as well.

A few more will come to me I'm sure - it's been a golden age for guitar gods since Les Paul perfected the instrument.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Jeah, that's right about Junior's guitar. I saw him in Allston once. Also a great slide player is Bonnie Raitte.

On the country side, I think Marty Stewart and Vince Gill kick rump big time. I'm not a big C&W fan, but these guys are great no matter what. Doc Watson, too, on the traditional edge of country.

14. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Man, there are so many still not listed. Joe Satriani, Eddy Van Halen, Kirk Hammett, to name a few.

15. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +683 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Wow!

Listen to this concert --

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=45052|1446.

If you still think that Clapton is overrated after that then I think that you might need your ears syringed ... :)

16. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +178 / 2 / -3

I'm not familiar with wolfgang's vault - interesting lineup of bands.

Looks like its streaming audio only? not downloadable?

Anyone happen to know if anything ever took the place of Sharingthegroove.org - a site that shared bit torrents of live performances - most (but not all) of which were legal?

Any other bit torrent music sites out there for good live concerts - blues and rock in particular?

17. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +683 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

That's funny -- I definitely got the link through someone on this site and I thought that it was you, Joe!

Wolfgang's Vault streams the huge legacy of Bill Graham tapes made of all the Fillmore (and other) concerts that he promoted. There are some extraordinary performances in there.

18. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,287 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

OK, I was referring primarily to his post-drug crash/contemporary work. The Cream era definitely was special.

19. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +683 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Mmm ... drugs do not help, but they were part of the deal for so many musicians. If you want a really convincing argument to give the kids about the dangers of drugs just play them early and late Dylan. (Or, as I used to say: live fast, don't die young -- look like Van Morrison by the time you're forty!)

20. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,287 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

I think you misunderstand what I was saying about Clapton, re., drugs: He experienced a life-threatening, drug-induced "crisis," which apparently was debilitating enough to compromise his playing ability. He even admitted he had to learn to play guitar all over again. Since that breaking point he never was the same, in my humble opinion. Hence, the "overrated" tag by me. His Cream years were the best, and definitive of what he had to offer.