Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guiliani Makes first step in exploring presidency...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 14, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

Last time this was talked about the folks on the right had a s...fit about his moral background and how he would be bad for the Republican Party... interestingly now he is begining to explore the possibility of becoming a candidate, seems as though he has gotten a lot of bad press in the past year about how he handled NY in the 9-11 situation.. Personally he has too many skeletons in the closet for what the Repubs are looking for.

http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/G/GIULIANI_2008?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME

Giuliani Takes Step Toward White House Bid

By DEVLIN BARRETT
    Associated Press Writer

AP VIDEO
    Giuliani Moves Toward a White House Run

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The man once dubbed "America's mayor" has taken the first step toward becoming America's next president.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Republican moderate who achieved near-mythic popularity for his handling of the Sept. 11 attacks, filed papers Friday in New York to create the Rudy Giuliani Presidential Exploratory Committee Inc. A copy of the document was obtained by The Associated Press.

Creating an exploratory committee does not make Giuliani a declared candidate, but it does mean he intends to travel the country gauging support and preparing for a White House bid.

"Mayor Giuliani has not made a decision yet," Giuliani spokeswoman Sunny Mindel said in a statement Monday night. "With the filing of this document, we have taken the necessary legal steps so an organization can be put in place and money can be raised to explore a possible presidential run in 2008."

One potential rival for the GOP nomination, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, said Sunday he was taking the initial step of setting up an exploratory committee.

Under federal election law, an exploratory committee allows an individual to travel and gauge the level of support for a candidacy without formally declaring themselves a candidate and adhering to all the federal rules of fundraising. An individual who spends money only to test the waters - but not to campaign for office - does not have to register as a candidate under the election law.

The GOP field is expected to grow with other presidential hopefuls, among them Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Sen. Bill Frist of Tennessee, Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and New York Gov. George Pataki.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Rudy's mystique doesn't carry well beyond NY, IMO. He was a good mayor and did a great job in the wake of WTC attacks, but no better than a number of governors and mayors in major cities would have done. As usual, way too much credit goes to the political leaders in this country when the real credit should have gone to the people of NY and the US in general for how we made it through those terrible weeks after the attacks. Without the TV cameras, George and Rudy don't harvest a fraction of the credit they got for being our "saviors" during the crisis, and five years later everyone is wondering what business these lightweights have seeking the highest public office in the world.

It is worth noting that we are in the TV era, and we did elect a moron once and a traitorous moron again, so I don't suppose anyone can be disqualified at this point

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

He's to liberal, he did a good job on getting the Wino's off the streets and the country liked the way he handled himself after 9/11 but he will never be president.

Nancy Pelosi will help a lot in getting a Republican President elected.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

More info on where Guiliani stands... do not know where these positions fit with the GOP base...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_el_ho/giuliani2008
    Giuliani has said for months that he would wait until after the 2006 elections to decide whether to embark on a White House bid. The former mayor is a moderate who supports gun control, same-sex civil unions, embryonic stem-cell research and abortion rights ? stands that would put him at odds with the majority of the GOP conservative base.

In 2006, the Giuliani brand remained strong. He headlined fundraisers for Republican candidates nationwide, and his travel has done little to deny 2008 ambitions.

Giuliani enjoys strong name recognition. An AP-AOL News poll conducted in late October found that, among Republicans, Giuliani was essentially tied with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and McCain as the person they would most like to see elected president in 2008. Rice has insisted that she will not run.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Rudy is actually a very good politician fiscally. When he took over NYC, it was a certifiable dump. Crime and murder were rampant, and the economics were pitiful. Rudy really did turn that city, which has a higher budget & pop than most states, into the booming metropolous it is today. So with respect to governing, Rudy is actually a very accomplished candidate. That aside, I've maintained his skeletons, as are Hillary's, are far too many to overcome. Rudy has a very bad moral history. Nationally, those will be pointed out, picked on, and rolled through the mud. He is not electable in my mind. However, stranger things have happened. I feel that same about Hillary. Her skeletons are massive. As First Lady (or First Lesbian as my barber calls her) she was spared the microscope out of respect for her standing. As a national candidate, the same rules will not apply. When you take her 45% unfavorable figure, and add to it those who will move away from her when the mud flies, she is not electable either. I think the Dems would do themselves a disservice by nominating her. Of course, it's 2006, and again, stranger things have happened. I have my questions about McCain too. So far, no one stands out, or those who do won't likely hold the lead come 2008. So we shall see.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

I agree Guiliani, Hillary and McCain have not voter appeal for me... any one of them would invite only mudslinging, and by the time election came all of the issues would be clouded.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

Not sure what Hillary's skeletons are. The $40 million taxpayer-funded witch hunt turned up nothing, but I suppose she's guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of Republican hacks like Real World. Giulani would be an interesting candidate. He would have some good ideas on how to defend America against terrorists, but I'd like to hear where he stands on the issue of civil liberties, something that the neocons do not regard as important.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Really Frauders? I'm so surprised that you can't possibly fathom how a Democratic candidate would have anything wrong with them. That's so unlike you. You're usually pretty fair about calling a spade a spade. It's not like Hillary's dealings with the Chinese, Whitewater, Jorge Cabrera, et al...either way, I don't think she's electable.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

Well, listen, Republihack, I have plenty of issues with the Democrats. They're certainly not liberal enough for me, but they haven't been in power for 12 years, so I have to give them a chance to see what they actually plan on doing.

As far as Hillary goes, Whitewater turned up nothing; the China connection is a foreign policy dispute, with Bill Clinton following the lead of his Republican predecessors; and the Cabrera connection is simply that the guy gave money to the Democrats and got to pose with Hillary and Al. I'm sure there are many similar situations with all politicians, e.g., Bush and Abramoff, Bush and Ken Lay, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Hillary because she supported anti-flag burning legislation and is relatively pro-war, but I would like to see a woman in the White House. I think it would do the country good.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Why would anyone who was born in America, enjoyed all it's freedoms, and all the other things it has to offer grow up to be an adult and then support burning America's flag.
    If I hated my country so badly, and if I was so dissatisfied with with life in my country that it made me want to do such a childish f-cking rotten thing as burn my country's flag I would instead burn my citizenship papers and LEAVE.

I never knew that Hillary was against flag burning, that puts her up a notch in my book even though the sight of her makes me sick.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

A flag is just a piece of fabric. Burning it is just a way of protesting in a dramatic way.

[​IMG]

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Except for a bunch of dead bodies.

Oh, and we know how you felt about GOP coruption. I'm sure you'll hold a Democrat to the same standards Frauders. Right?

Hillary is a fony. She is purposely voting her record to the center. She desparately wants to be elected president. When people are fony I become worried. I want principled people to run. Who are you, what do you think, and why do you think that way. I like when I know where someone stands even if I don't agree with them or not. My problem with these bum frauds is that they are manipulating there views to be more "electable". The problem is that if they do get elected, they aren't who people thought they were.

I couldn't care less if a midgit were elected president nevermind a woman. I hate it when people say "I'd love to see a ...get elected" as if color, gender, or appearance means anything when being president. Those "diversity" voters here in Mass are idiots.

Now, to flag burning. People who say its a piece of fabric are clueless. Of course, those same people think that a fetus is a pimple. Anyhow, tell a soldier that it's a piece of fabric. If it were simply a piece of fabric, then why burn it? Obviously the flag stands for something to both the haters, and the believers. If not, then no one would care. That aside, I am against a flag buring amendment. If some idiot wants to burn a flag then let them. It pisses me off to no extent, but people should be free to be morons if they like. Personally, if I see a dude buring a flag near me, I'll punch him in the face. Like I've always said, people are free to do whatever it is they wish, just as long as they understand what the repurcussions are.

:D

[​IMG]

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

The whole flag burning thing had to do with political posturing before the election, there already is an existing, and usually ignored code of conduct for the flag. What would an amendment do, they don't enforce the existing code anyways. How about all of the so called patriots who ride around with tattered flags on their cars, only for them to wind up in the landfill. You don't need any more laws or amendments for flags, enforce what you have.

Here is the flag code, we don't need more laws.. it is very specific.

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/flagcode.html

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

The flag burning amendment has been around for a while. I remember people pushing for an amendment way back when I was in school. As much as I dislike flag burning, I don't support an amendment.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

Oh come on, you don't buy that crap, do you?

Yes, if there's evidence of corruption, I'll oppose her. I never accused Bush of corruption, only incompetence. If there is corruption in the administraton, I believe it came from Cheney and Halliburton.

How do you know Hillary is a phony? Her whole political record is moderate. The idea that she's a phony has been foisted on you by the right wing. She might be a phony, or she might not be. There's no evidence to support the notion that she's a liberal, except on issues like civil rights and health care, where she makes no bones about it. Otherwise, she's been quite consistent. She and her husband are both leaders in the moderate DLC, the group that Lieberman is part of of.

I think there's a lot of sexism in this country. I think in Massachusetts both Jane Swift and Shannon O'Brien were victims of that. (Healey was probably a victim of that, too, but she was such a poor candidate, it's hard to tell.) I think once a woman becomes President, it will create more opportunities for women in general. It's absurd that we've never had a woman president, when they make up 50% of our population.

Well, we sort of agree, though I wouldn't get so hysterical if I saw someone burning a flag. It's just a piece of fabric, but burning it is a way of making a strong statement because of people like you.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +896 / 7 / -3

Jane Swift & Shannon O'Brien? O'Brien was aweful, not as bad as Swift, but aweful. Jane Swift was the most moronic, clueless individual I've seen in a long time. I can never understand why some candidates pick running mates that are incompitent. To me, a running mate should be someone who's next in line. Jane Swift? Oh my. Healey was better than Swift, but that certainly isn't saying much. Personally, when Romney had Healey as a Lt. I was perplexed.